Tour of Honor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtail

Reaction score
I started the TOH ride back in Feb. I think, and got off to a ripping start...

Distinguished Flying Cross Memorial in Riverside,Ca.

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

and then the Mt. Soledad Veterans Memorial in La Jolla,Ca.

IMG_1434.jpg

But then got side-tracked by health, kids and house!

After finishing the kitchen remodel, my wife gave me a pass to go ride. In fact, she asked me to keep riding until I wasn't so grumpy!

So off I went, leaving the 100 degree temps of the San Fernando Valley, and headed up the coast.

route taken:

My link

About an hour north, I rode into this fog bank and everything got better.

IMG_1637.jpg

Transferred from the 101 FWY to Hwy 1, and stayed the night in San Simeon, where I woke up to this...

IMG_1640.jpg

stopped to see the Elephant Seals... and a bunny!

IMG_1644-Copy.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

This part of the 1 gave me a great ride pretty much to myself. It was early morning and foggy so the tourists didn't come out to play. Not much for pics, but an amazing ride!

IMG_1654.jpg

Bagged the USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier and Museum

IMG_1655.jpg

stopped of in Oakland to meet, forum member, James Burleigh for a lunch ride up to the a view point over the bay. Too hazy for good pics but a nice ride and meet none the less.

IMG_1659.jpg

Managed the toll booth on the Richman Bridge just fine and blasted through Petaluma and over to Bodega Bay on the Lost Coast.

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Up this part of HWY 1 is a mix of 15 and 20 mph corners, that ends with a 22 mile racetrack through the forest and ends up joining the 101 Fwy.

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

Spent the night in Eureka and started the next day by getting gas in Trinidad. Beautiful little place right off the fwy.

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

Then I bagged the SS Emidio Monument in Crescent City. I didn't know the Japanese attacked California!

IMG_1688.jpg

At this point I was just starting to relax a little and decided to slow down the pace. So I bagged a pic of this lighthouse and the harbor.

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

I love this part of the coast and even detoured through the redwoods.

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

I dropped backed down the coast to Fortuna and took HWY 36 over the mountains to the bigger mountains. Oh my goodness, I understand why TWN loved this road! No pics.. you gotta just ride it!

Well ok, one pic!

IMG_1729-Copy.jpg

Across the valley floor and up to Quincy in the sierra's

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

The next morning was a late start and a much more relaxed pace. I kept trying to think more CBA and less IBA. So I started with a pic of a barn and some barbed wire!

IMG_1752.jpg

I wandered down Hwy 89 and 49, and nothing but really good thoughts for Mad Mike. His recommendation probably did more to get my mind right than maybe anything else! These are some amazing roads!

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

Then I bagged Placerville, the Eldorado County Veterans Monument

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

After spending the night in Sonora, Big thanks to Fairlaner for the Parrots Ferry rd. tip and advise to go through Yosemite.

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

I started this trip trying to get that monkey off my back! By the time I finished, we were pretty good friends!

Down the 395 to bag the Big Pine Veterans Memorial.

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

On down the 395 to the 178

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

Got to Bakersfield and bagged the Kern County Veterans Memorial.

IMG_1840.jpg

By now I was a completely different person and all I could think of was home!

I spent most of this ride in total awe at the beauty of this state. I am forever grateful for the freedom to ride so far (over two thousand miles!), without having to go through any military checkpoints or be in any fear for my safety or my families safety back home. I'm proud of my own military service and applaud that of my brothers and sisters at arms, who watch over us everyday!

My prayers are with them all, until they're no longer needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, forget to thank Warchild! :eek:

Big props for bringing this whole thing to my attention, and then re-inspiring me to finish! :yahoo:

Hope all is well for you and your family!

redtail-WOW those are some nice pic's. One of these days soon I need to do a ride like that.

Hi Redtail,

I felt changed just reading your write up. Well done. Remember, if you ever get grumpy again your wife might suggest that you take this ride again :yahoo: but next time take a mate, me.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Hi Redtail,

I felt changed just reading your write up. Well done. Remember, if you ever get grumpy again your wife might suggest that you take this ride again :yahoo: but next time take a mate, me.

Best regards

Surly

I hope that's a two way invite! I was in Bunbury during the Navy and would love to do Australia again!

Hi Redtail,

very sure we could work something out. I ride with a group called Patriots Australia https://www.patriotswa.org/. They are a great bunch of mates.

Best regards

Surly

Upright not Uptight

dropped backed down the coast to Fortuna and took HWY 36 over the mountains to the bigger mountains. Oh my goodness, I understand why TWN loved this road! No pics.. you gotta just ride it!Well ok, one pic!
Yes - did so today!

Redtail, most EXCELLENT RR with hi quality pix too. Tx for taking time to post up..

Did you happen to see 'the' sign? I missed it, and was looking for it too.. :angry:

Awesome trip. One just like I want to make soon!

Love this shot....

Nipomo, CA! About 10 minutes south of my house. :lol:

IMG_1637.jpg

Wonderful report and pics... I still have a few I'm hoping to hit before the year is over... you've inspired me to get on it (so to speak! :D ). :clapping:
The inspiration is mutual! You always have the best pics! (the rest I can't speak for as we haven't met yet!)

I thought of you when I took the barn/barbed wire pic. And a couple of others when I tried to frame the shot.

Great pics, reminds me of why I still live in California.

I'm thinking I need to start doing stuff like this more, maybe that will be a 2012 goal (before the end of the world of course). Need to work my way up to do the longer rides the rest of this year.

If you are doing more of these kinds of rides and wouldn't mind someone slowing you down a bit ;) shoot me an E-Mail or PM.

Great pics, Richard! Your RR could be a California promotional brochure. Glad we got to meet and spend a few quality minutes riding together. I'll be in your neck of the woods later this month, the weekend of 23-25. Maybe see you.... Hans

Great pics, reminds me of why I still live in California.

I'm thinking I need to start doing stuff like this more, maybe that will be a 2012 goal (before the end of the world of course). Need to work my way up to do the longer rides the rest of this year.

If you are doing more of these kinds of rides and wouldn't mind someone slowing you down a bit ;) shoot me an E-Mail or PM.
lets stay in touch, it doesn't take much to get me to go riding!

Great pics, Richard! Your RR could be a California promotional brochure. Glad we got to meet and spend a few quality minutes riding together. I'll be in your neck of the woods later this month, the weekend of 23-25. Maybe see you.... Hans
I owe you a sandwich at least! If you have time to ride, we can make a quick run through the Santa Monica Mountains! :)

The "sign" is just before the RR tracks as you get to Red Bluff. At the tracks turn around and there it is up on your right. (easy to find going west).

Nice to see you enjoyed our neck of the woods. The "Bikers Beware" sign on 49 was put up mostly for the cruiser crowd as they get to watching the scenery too much. Of course it can be sandy in the spring...

Great pics and report!

Thanks for the pics and writeup. :yahoo:

(edit: except for thr trunk monkey...no trunk monkeys allowed!)

Thanks to my Kali friends, I rode many of the same roads in May...great stuff! :clapping:

(Edit: your first picture reminded me of my Uncle in Lincoln, CA, the Thud pilot, who was awarded a DFC for action over the skies of Vietnam)

Latest posts