Trade the FJR or Keep it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
OK, so I'm in the Honda store yesterday kicking tires and the sales manager ask when I'm going to trade the FJR on a new bike. I say never unless it's a new FJR. I'm eyeing this new Goldwing when he ask how many miles are on the FJR and I say 35,000 plus. That's when he dropped the bomb and said I'll give you $9,000 in trade. My jaw dropped and I just knew there was a catch. The MSRP on the Wing was $19,960. After talking for a few moments we get the selling price to $16,499 with $500 in fees. Holy shit! I' tell him I'll get back to him today. I think I'll buy the Wing. Do I trade the FJR and possibly wait on the 2009/2010 FJR? That's a great number on the trade and a great price on the Wing. I want to have the Wing for some serious two up LD riding. It's really hard to pass these numbers up. HELP!

I had a Wing and a FJR. The Wing left two days ago. Too much overlap and I really don't do enough two up to justify it. The Wing was just too much in every way, too heavy, too much like a car, too little gas mileage, and the position was cramped for something that ginormous.

No FJR, you ride far enough away that no one thinks we are travelling together. I always knew you Swab Jockeys were weak! ;)

OK, so I'm in the Honda store yesterday kicking tires and the sales manager ask when I'm going to trade the FJR on a new bike. I say never unless it's a new FJR. I'm eyeing this new Goldwing when he ask how many miles are on the FJR and I say 35,000 plus. That's when he dropped the bomb and said I'll give you $9,000 in trade. My jaw dropped and I just knew there was a catch. The MSRP on the Wing was $19,960. After talking for a few moments we get the selling price to $16,499 with $500 in fees. Holy shit! I' tell him I'll get back to him today. I think I'll buy the Wing. Do I trade the FJR and possibly wait on the 2009/2010 FJR? That's a great number on the trade and a great price on the Wing. I want to have the Wing for some serious two up LD riding. It's really hard to pass these numbers up. HELP!
I have been thinking about going back I have owned 4 wings there the best for a big trip two up. If i buy one I will keep the FJR or buy a sport bike of some sort. If I did only one up riding the FJR would be my only choice.

That's a deal for sure, but when my FJR hit the garage, the Wing went up for sale. IMO, if you do a lot of 2-up riding, go with the Wing. More of a solo rider? Stick with the FJR.

Of course, if you fart $20 bills, have both. ;)

That's one helluva deal. I think I'd have to take it, before the dealer changes his mind.

Worst case scenerio: You go through FJR withdrawls (inevitable), and get a new one next year, for little more than the current trade-in offer.

That's a deal for sure, but when my FJR hit the garage, the Wing went up for sale. IMO, if you do a lot of 2-up riding, go with the Wing. More of a solo rider? Stick with the FJR.
Of course, if you fart $20 bills, have both. ;)
I only fart $10 bills, but if I eat a lot of beans, I can have both?

UPDATE: I ordered the Wing today and I'll trade the FJR. Just good a deal to pass up. I got the dealer to add the factory running lights for free and get me the rear spoiler for cost installed. I'll be maintaining on this board as the FJR folks are the best group of motorcyclist I've ever run across. I'll also be watching carefully what Yamaha does with the 2009 FJR. Damn, may have to sell the boat if this keeps up. Watch for FJR farkles on the For Sale section!

...if you do a lot of 2-up riding, go with the Wing. More of a solo rider? Stick with the FJR.
Road,

Goldwing is a great bike, but I think anything that needs a Reverse Gear, falls out of the cycle category.

Looks like you made up your mind. Good Luck on your purchase.

...if you do a lot of 2-up riding, go with the Wing. More of a solo rider? Stick with the FJR.
Road,

Goldwing is a great bike, but I think anything that needs a Reverse Gear, falls out of the cycle category.

I couldn't let my Wing go when I got my FJR. As far as reverse goes, there have been a couple of times when I wished the FJR had it. Could be something to do with my 29" inseam.....

UPDATE: I ordered the Wing today and I'll trade the FJR. Just good a deal to pass up. I got the dealer to add the factory running lights for free and get me the rear spoiler for cost installed. I'll be maintaining on this board as the FJR folks are the best group of motorcyclist I've ever run across. I'll also be watching carefully what Yamaha does with the 2009 FJR. Damn, may have to sell the boat if this keeps up. Watch for FJR farkles on the For Sale section!
And you thought you heard alot of Navy jokes from me before? Now I have to come up with Seaman on 2 wheel convertible jokes. Can you still do "The Void Rally" with that boat? :rolleyes:

I can do the VOID and EOM with no problem. Of course I may need new foot pegs after those 2 events. Easy to replace. It doesn't accelerate, stop or turn as fast as the FJR but it's no slouch either. I've seen good riders at the Gap on Wings doing amazing things. I'm sure you'll find my "cruising speed" the same on the Wing as before. Think of all the pretty red lights you'll have to look at following me.

Road,

have had several heavy bikes that I wished I had reverse as I huffed and puffed trying to back out of some spot that a car blocked my pre planned forward movement when I stopped

I had an 03 wing which I later sold when my wife got her own bike. Good decision to trade fjr and not keep it. It is a great deal and if you are looking for another bike look at the fz1 or b king, bandit etc. Too much cross over with the fjr and wing. good look see you at eom and maybe ask you to ride up with you if you want and schedules work out.

Roadglide I wanted to check to see how things are going with your Wing. I am in the same boat as you are now, I was kickin back at the dealer getting my FJR serviced. The salesman came up to me and wanted to know if I wanted to trade in my bike and get the Wing. I have a 07 with about 9,000 miles and it has been dropped once on the left side. They offered me 10,000 on the trade for top of the line Wing (no airbag). It came down to around 14,500 OTD with taxes. What do you think?