Trapped In Colombia.... Need Forum's Help....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a thank you also. I wish him well.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.intotheblueagain.com/page/21

"Before leaving I decided to change my rear tire with a car tire. I got the idea from Eric, a generous man who helped me bleed my clutch fluid at his place when I was in Utah, He was a journeyman as he was the first put the car tire on the FJR 1300. I found him on the FJR help list which was provided on the forum I belong to. It was fairly easy to machine the single sided brake tensioner arm necessary to make the clearance in the well, but more challenging finding the shop to mount and balance the tire. Finally I found a service manager at a Honda shop who had a rear tire on his Gold Wing and was willing to help out."

And there is even a picture of this Eric [OCfjr] fellow.

I just feel that it's strange for him to ask a bunch of strangers to fund a motorcycle trip for him... even if he offered prints of his photos.

Help. Not Fund. Lets keep it factual. He's getting peanuts from us.
+1, Gunny; es Verdad, ese! I love the fact that no one is ever a Stranger on this Forum, everyone is an FJR Brother and Sister here! Now when it comes down to strange itself: majicmaker, RadioHowie, rushes, FJRay, Niehart, johnny80s, Bustanut joker, yamafitter (this list goes on forever!); absolutely bull nuts weird, odot!

Help. Not Fund. Lets keep it factual. He's getting peanuts from us.
Ok, let's keep it factual, the title of this thread is "Trapped in Columbia". I have never been to Columbia or the other South American countries Tony wants to visit but I have a couple of friends who have toured those countries by motorcycle and they said the poverty and living standards were so bad it was hard to enjoy the trip. If the locals can't earn enough to make a decent living, how is Tony going to earn enough to support himself and save money to fund his travel expenses....and he has already stated he really doesn't have a way to earn $$$. I think "Fund" is the right word because in the absence of outside $$$ Tony isn't going anywhere unless he sells his FJR but "peanuts", if contributed on a regular basis, may be enough to Fund his trip.

We must have different definitions of the word Fund, 007. You've never been to Columbia? I have. About 50 times in the last 30 years. Don't know where your friends were hangin' out but, it's a thriving country just like many others in SA. Bogota is a hugh city. There's all sorts of ways to make money along the way over there if you have a brain that works. Yes, there's some poverty there just like in any big city in THIS country. But, if that's all your friends saw then, they must have used a bad travel agent. I don't understand what the big deal is with this thing. If you don't want to donate, that's fine, then don't. The people around here who have seen the world from Tony's point of view get it. So, we chip in a few bucks to at least keep him moving forward. All you have to do is ignore this. If its not your cup of tea, that's ok. It's a big world out there my friend. You should see some of it sometime. :)

No point in debating Semantics.. For those who don't want to contribute? Fine

But do try and keep it civil.. And on the fucking track.

I don't want to have to get nasty.

We must have different definitions of the word Fund, 007. You've never been to Columbia? I have. About 50 times in the last 30 years. Don't know where your friends were hangin' out but, it's a thriving country just like many others in SA. Bogota is a hugh city. There's all sorts of ways to make money along the way over there if you have a brain that works. Yes, there's some poverty there just like in any big city in THIS country. But, if that's all your friends saw then, they must have used a bad travel agent. I don't understand what the big deal is with this thing. If you don't want to donate, that's fine, then don't. The people around here who have seen the world from Tony's point of view get it. So, we chip in a few bucks to at least keep him moving forward. All you have to do is ignore this. If its not your cup of tea, that's ok. It's a big world out there my friend. You should see some of it sometime. :)
You have been to Colombia South America 50 times? Now I wondering what kind of job you have because I don't think you would go there that many times on vacation. To clarify my statements, I have NOT said that I am against anyone donating nor have I said that I have not/will not donate, I am just stating where I think this thing is going and not taking a position whether it is good or bad thing.....and I have already seen enough of the world courtesy of the Vietman War to appreciate where I am.

Saw a documentary a few years ago, about this guy on a bike trip through Columbia.

He was kidnapped and held for ranom by rebels who lived in the jungle.

They screwed him up pretty good, although he made it back to the states alive.

Columbia is the kidnapping capital of the world.

Hope he makes it out live!

I really like his photos, and envy his mad camera and image-editing skillz.

Not so enthused with his choice of travel areas, (you'd have to force me at gunpoint to travel anywhere near Colombia), and I honestly can't say I care for his 'Carlos Castaneda' writing style.

Hope he learns how to spell 'Argentina' by the time he gets there.

007, I've been in Aviation my whole life. I've been all over the world inspecting airplanes Many, Many Times. Plus the 15 countries I visited on a regular basis on an Aircraft Carrier in the Navy stationed in Japan. Hope that answers your question. ;-)

Tony is indeed for real. He was in South Florida a while back and his bike broke down. He was here for Art Basel last year. He got in touch with me thru the FJR help list. I went up to Pompono and trailered his bike to my house. He had a bad ignition switch, found one on eBay and I put it on for him. He left shortly after and headed up to work with the blueberry farmers. I only wish he was posting about his adventures on the forum as they occurred as I am sure he would have saved quite a bit of money by staying with forum members along the way. We had a young college student on another forum I belong to ride his Honda 900F from Mass to California and stayed with members every bit of the way except for 2 nights. The power of the forum is strong when everyone is aware of what is going on. He did leave me a couple very nice prints.

007, I've been in Aviation my whole life. I've been all over the world inspecting airplanes Many, Many Times. Plus the 15 countries I visited on a regular basis on an Aircraft Carrier in the Navy stationed in Japan. Hope that answers your question. ;-)

Sure does :))........I was a Naval Flight Officer on a Navy C-130 and probably visited the same countries you did when you were stationed in Japan. There weren't any jobs in aviation when my tour ended so I had to go back to college to find a job and my career went in a much different direction.

My fellow forum members I post this reluctantly, but still I post it. I have no wish to anger, upset, or even discourage any of you from supporting this young man. I do believe this is a legitimate request. I do believe he is for real. I refuse to send any of my hard earned money.

Many of my favorite forum friends have already posted up in support of this young man and I hate to disagree with so many folks that I hold in such high esteem. Please, my friends do not hate me for this, you have expressed your supportive opinions, now I will express mine.

While I feel certain this man is for real and I somewhat understand the call of the open road and the desire to see what is around the next bend, I cannot in any way relate to anyone caring only for themselves. I cannot relate to living my life for just me. In my world, a person works for what they need. A person has responsibility to family and friends. This young man does not stand for the values that I hold dearest. I cannot support his dream. He must support it himself.

Does it take courage to do what he is doing? Well of course it does. Yet his venture into the unknown takes no more courage than growing up and accepting the responsibilities of an adult. Certainly a different kind of courage, but courage nonetheless.

I am impressed with his photography. I am impressed that he has been blessed with a very cute and shapely friend in his last couple months on the road. I am curious as to why he does not use this wonderful talent to make his living legitimately in support of his "dream".

I do wish him the best and feel relatively confident he is not scamming you. I will spend the money I work for in other places in support of other charities. Many of you know that I have stepped up and helped fellow forum members before. I intend to do so again, just not this time.

Good luck Tony.

Flame away if you must.

Sure does :))........I was a Naval Flight Officer on a Navy C-130 and probably visited the same countries you did when you were stationed in Japan. There weren't any jobs in aviation when my tour ended so I had to go back to college to find a job and my career went in a much different direction.
Cool, I was on the USS Midway in an A7E light attack squadron (Airframes). Then 4 years in A.I.M.D. on a nice cushy shore duty. That's when they sent me to NDI School to become an X-Ray technician. Got out in '84 and been doing that ever since. It's a nice way to make a living. They pay me to travel the world (With 400LBS of equipment). Not complaining! I've had and I'm still having a Blast. You See? We DO have something in common. It's all good. On all of my trips, it was for weeks at a time. So, That's where I had plenty of time to make and nurture many wonderful friendships. Now you know why I get what Tony is doing. Not everyone will agree how he's going about it but, It's his journey and I get it. I've been on the same Journey and still am except, mine is paid for by the people who need me to inspect their airplanes. Tony isn't that lucky but, that's the way he wanted to do it. I can relate. Glad to finally meet you 007. You seem like a nice guy.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.