Trapped In Colombia.... Need Forum's Help....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an old story and the deed has long been done. I sent him some cash and had no qualms doing it... I'm as much of a doubting thomas as the rest and yes he probably should have planned better. I catch myself occasionally giving in to people like this although I generally have the attitude my money stays in my wallet.

Years ago I was approached by an older gentleman in a greyhound bus stop in the middle of who the hell knows where, late at night, early morning?... He was broke and hungry. I would have normally given him the brush off but I paid for his dinner and we chatted while we ate a gut buster greasy cheeseburger across the street. He was very appreciative of the meal and mainly just kept asking questions about me. I was traveling in my dress greens but don't remember what rank I was at the time. Crawled back on the bus and I crashed out. When I woke up there was a notebook sitting on the seat next to me and it was full of sketches and a note... turns out the guy had been a Vietnam war illustrator. While I was sleeping he stayed up and filled the notebook of his version of my life as i had told it to him... Pics of an old man and a kid fishing, which was the part of I had told him about my Granddad, pics of the same pair hunting squirrels, pics of a young kid going thru jump school, etc etc. Not sure how much it cost me to feed him but that notebook is priceless to me.

Sometimes ya just don't know folks...

I give money to old guys on the street corner, you know the ones that look like they have one foot in the grave.

But someone who is on a vacation and runs out of money? I just have a problem with that.

I give money to old guys on the street corner, you know the ones that look like they have one foot in the grave.But someone who is on a vacation and runs out of money? I just have a problem with that.
Those are the guys I DON"T help... around here they make a career of it and most of 'em give bullshit war stories and haven't ever served or done anything other than being a leech on society.

I give something when my sense of smell tells me to. I have absolutely walked away from the people who I know just beg for a living.

Having said that. Flash, sitting in the dark in your underwear late on a Sunday night drunk posting on a Forum is Never a good idea.

Just Sayin' :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I give something when my sense of smell tells me to. I have absolutely walked away from the people who I know just beg for a living.
Having said that. Flash, sitting in the dark in your underwear late on a Sunday night drunk posting on a Forum is Never a good idea.

Well put. I helped Tony out because I liked his dream. It's only money, it's my money to throw away if I want to and generally speaking giving money to another human being is a lot better than most of the other crap I've pissed money away on.

Farkling the ever lovin' crap outta my FJR is not pissing money away....it's not It's not It's not!

I've had panhandlers refuse to allow me to buy them a meal, wanted the cash, which I refused. I've had a woman with a cardboard sign sink to the curb in tears when I handed her five bucks. I don't do it often but I will do it if my "sense of smell" tells me to.

Greg, thanks for the story and your service, sir.

I give money to old guys on the street corner, you know the ones that look like they have one foot in the grave.But someone who is on a vacation and runs out of money? I just have a problem with that.
Those are the guys I DON"T help... around here they make a career of it and most of 'em give bullshit war stories and haven't ever served or done anything other than being a leech on society.
I have sympathy for a old guy who HAS to beg on a street corner, even if he makes a "career" out of it, if he had a lot of money do you think he'd standing on a corner begging for money??

Especially if they're handicapped, one leg or something.

Also it's very hard for a old guy to get a job even if he tries!

A lot of employers won't admit to age discrimination, but many do it all the time.

If you're in your 50's or older, unless you're highly skilled, good luck finding a job.

Was on the Hollywood Blvd this weekend. Watched a young twenty something kid with a cardboard sign on the corner asking for pot while we were grabbing a bite. Within 10 minutes he had some from a passing car.

+1, Gunny; well said words from both Victor and Greg 03! My sense of smell at 65 years of living has also told me who to give to, plus like Greg 03 and having spent the years of 1968-74 in the US Army I can also sniff out the "Fake War Vet" beggar!

"Having said that. Flash, sitting in the dark in your underwear late on a Sunday night drunk posting on a Forum is Never a good idea." What is really scary majicmaker, he was sitting with our Bustanut joker! REALLY! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

I have sympathy for a old guy who HAS to beg on a street corner, even if he makes a "career" out of it, if he had a lot of money do you think he'd standing on a corner begging for money??
Absolutely. There have been more than a few people in the DFW area who have been busted for tax evasion. They dress in rags and panhandle to the tune of over $60k a year (tax free). They were caught on video climbing into their high zoot cars at the end of the day. One that I remember was a couple who worked different corners and were nailed for over $200k a year.

Upon opening this thread, I thought this guy was back asking for more money.
...and you were planning on giving him some more?
I guess that I should be clear... I didn't give him any money. I thought that his balls were really brass for asking in the first place.

Absolutely. There have been more than a few people in the DFW area who have been busted for tax evasion. They dress in rags and panhandle to the tune of over $60k a year (tax free). They were caught on video climbing into their high zoot cars at the end of the day. One that I remember was a couple who worked different corners and were nailed for over $200k a year.
There's always exception to the rule but for the most part those old guys you see on a street corner are either mentally ill or drug/alcoholics......and homeless.

A lot of times I give them food instead of money and I've never had anyone refuse it, they seem grateful.

Upon opening this thread, I thought this guy was back asking for more money.
...and you were planning on giving him some more?
I guess that I should be clear... I didn't give him any money. I thought that his balls were really brass for asking in the first place.
I would think that he has family and CLOSE friends that he could ask to borrow money from, seems asking stangers is just a way to get MORE money.

Maybe he's tapped out his family and friends already?

Oh for fuks sakes!!! Some of you people sicken me with your cynicism.
rolleyes.gif

If you didn't donate or don't want to, fine......... Stop with the negative shit tossing, ya sound like a bunch of conspiracy theorists.
umnik.gif

Tony has proven he's been sincere to the vast majority who've contributed. So what if it isn't here, this isn't the only place on the web people communicate.

I've gave and taken from some really great people on this forum.

Nobody forced me or them to help out.

Hope the hell you naysayers never need a favor.

Bust! That was the most lucid thing I've ever heard you say! WTF?! You're scaring me now. I need a nap after reading that. :))

Wow, I thought this thread was over and done with long ago.

I did not give and I covered my logic about my feelings way back when this thread was originally active. Like SOCALFJR, I believe he has spent a lifetime bleeding his friends and family dry. I was willing to help him get home but I was not willing to help him continue further away from supporting himself.

However, I also applaud all the members who did give. The generosity and spirit of this FJR forum is a wonderful thing. Even though I did not agree with those who did give, I respected each and every one of them for what they gave. I thank each and every one of the donors for their kind and generous spirit. I am also very glad that Tony has continued to communicate with all of you so that you know your contribution was not part of a scam. That was honestly more than I expected from him when I first read this thread.

Hmmm. Well. If I'm going to be called out on this for my opinion on this matter, I'd just like to say I'd like to quit my job too, ship my bike to Europe, and ride around for a couple of months ( or a year or two) and have someone else pay for it. Please message me for the donation address. Just sayin.

It's a far cry from being down and out and needing a hand up to this guy who is being irresponsible, and shamelessly begging for money so he can continue his idiousy. Noooooow you can lay me out for my opinions.

Flash

Hmmmmm.... Let's see. First of all, you'd have the time of your life if you took a little tour on two wheels in South America. It's not a Europe thing. Second, he wasn't begging for money. He was asking for help in a particular situation. No one was paying for his adventure. He just needed some gas money to get the hell out of Colombia at the time. Third, irresponsible, shameless and begging wasn't even in the equation. He was in trouble. Have you even gone to his website and looked at what he went there to do? You should. He's doing something that many of us would love to do but can't. I'm sure it's not your cup of tea but, it's his. You don't have to agree with it. Just like, we don't have to agree with you. And finally, why in hell did the presidents name have to come into the equation? You could have left that out and it might have been a reasonable topic to debate. But, you injected it. So, you got what you got. Be a big boy and deal with it.

Have a nice day. :)

Bust! That was the most lucid thing I've ever heard you say! WTF?! You're scaring me now. I need a nap after reading that. :))
Very Well Said Bust, I am proud of you for saying what had to be said! Damn direct and straight to the point: Hope the hell you naysayers never need a favor. JSNS!

Status
Not open for further replies.