"TWIST" get's high-sided...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually a Pentax K-10D with a Tamron Zoom on the end. Had the Battery Grip on it as well and it is cracked. About $1500+ at current prices. New model coming out in May, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. Besides, I believe this one is actually repairable. It's going to the shop first thing Monday for an estimate. The lens is probably toast... just going to have to pony up the $$$ for it and buy another. With a little luck, insurance will comp me for it as I am claiming it in the accident.

If you are starting fresh, take a look at the Nikon D300. Great camera, even better glass. I shoot at D2Xs and love it. I'm partial to Nikon. Been shooting it since 1992 with my F4s. No more film days for me.

I make an extra effort to confirm eye contact with any driver in a position to cut in front of me.
Why? Unless you actually touch eyeballs, how do you know if they're looking at you or through you?

I make an extra effort to avoid contact with their bumpers, 'cause looks can't kill you. Click for a rant.

Because at least I can confirm that they aren't looking the other way and that hopefully they are seeing me. Industrial/construction safety training I've received in the past touches on this point with regards to working in the vicinity of heavy equipment as well. When you are on a motorcycle, cars and truck are heavy equipment :blink:

Also, I KNOW I will ride differently now that I have had a major spill...
In what way? Share with us, oh unfortunately wiser-in-the-ways-of-the-crash one....
Toe,

This is an assumption on my part. I'm not sure "how" I will change, exactly, but I have tweaked my riding everytime I went down on my dirtbike. Just seems that I get a little wiser and a little more cautious. This is the first time I have had a major spill on the roadbike. I just assume I will adjust my riding a bit when I get back on.

Finally, there's always something you could have done to avoid the accident, and recognizing what it was will make you a safer rider (riding on wheel tracks is an excellent suggestion, by the way). <SNIP>
I'm not so bold as to think that I had NOTHING to do with the accident. In fact, the term "accident" is very misleading, there is almost ALWAYS something that could have been done to avoid it.

Riding in the track is a VERY good suggestion and may well have been the safest thing to do on this corner and all others. Turns out I wasn't in the track and it bit me. We will never know if it would have saved me, but I will learn from this and go on.

Risk vs Reward...

This is something EVERY motorcycle rider thinks about when they get on a bike. WHAT we ride, WHERE we ride and HOW we ride all factor in to the equation and determine just how much enjoyment we get from the sport/hobby/pastime/whatever you want to call it. We balance this with the RISKS associated with being so "exposed" and the precautions we take to avoid injury. Every turn of the wheel adds a little weight to the scale on one side or the other and a crash adds significant weight. The biggest unknown is exactly WHERE this weight goes and how much goes there.

It WILL affect my future riding... just exactly how remains to be seen.

Argh! Duffman... not good. But glad you're ok.

Good news is, Duffman survives to ride another day. Very good! :yahoo:

Here's hoping everyone that throws slick liquids out their window someday meets with a similar fate. ;)

Here's hoping everyone that throws slick liquids out their window someday meets with a similar fate. ;)
The more I look, the less that looks like something thrown by a vehicle occupant. Being in the middle of the lane, and scattering with the same direction of lane travel, it would have to have been thrown either under, out front of, or behind the car. More likely what Carver hypothesized, something puked out by a motor. That coolant is damn slimey stuff. And starbucks is too expensive to just toss aside, even for those rich Central Coast Californicators.

Did you make a report, for insurance and possible cost recovery/fault determination purposes, or cover the spill with some dirt, so the hazard was mitigated?

The more I look, the less that looks like something thrown by a vehicle occupant. Being in the middle of the lane, and scattering with the same direction of lane travel, it would have to have been thrown either under, out front of, or behind the car. More likely what Carver hypothesized, something puked out by a motor. That coolant is damn slimey stuff. And starbucks is too expensive to just toss aside, even for those rich Central Coast Californicators.

Did you make a report, for insurance and possible cost recovery/fault determination purposes, or cover the spill with some dirt, so the hazard was mitigated?
I've got to lean toward the coffee. I can't think of anything about a mechanical part of a vehicle that would just dump a cup of crap all of a sudden with no dripping before or after. It looks like someone emptied a cup from the passenger's side - with the vehicle straddling the double yellow on a blind curve... :blink: Duff, lloks like you may have been "lucky" that you only met the droppings, not the vehicle! :angry2:

I know what you mean about riding differently after the fact. I dumped my bike in road construction 10 years ago trying to jump an unmarked pavement lift of 3.5" between the on ramp and the freeway. (at night...) It was a lot of miles before I could cross even a pavement joint diagonally without flinching.

This really does suck and we truely are glad you are okay and will live again to twist that right grip. I do have a question. Did you use the phone to take those pics? Your phone looks pretty thrashed also. Just curious.

Dooooood! You weren't shittin' when you said you crashed in your PM! Yoiks!

Couple of things... Check your cell phone. Been trying to call you, but I just get a weird hissing sound. When you get your estimate and if there is not frame or sub-frame damage, order your parts from U-Motors and give me a call. We'll have a bike rebuilding party!

Really glad you're ok!

I've got to lean toward the coffee. I can't think of anything about a mechanical part of a vehicle that would just dump a cup of crap all of a sudden with no dripping before or after. It looks like someone emptied a cup from the passenger's side - with the vehicle straddling the double yellow on a blind curve... :blink: Duff, lloks like you may have been "lucky" that you only met the droppings, not the vehicle! :angry2:

I know what you mean about riding differently after the fact. I dumped my bike in road construction 10 years ago trying to jump an unmarked pavement lift of 3.5" between the on ramp and the freeway. (at night...) It was a lot of miles before I could cross even a pavement joint diagonally without flinching.
Has anyone thought of probabilities from another perspective....

Think horse trailer? Livestock trailer? Any animal with large kidneys will flood the bottom of the trailer and.... Yep, its really slimey!

Has anyone thought of probabilities from another perspective....
Think horse trailer? Livestock trailer? Any animal with large kidneys will flood the bottom of the trailer and.... Yep, its really slimey!
Me and Duff just talked about that... PIG SHIT! :lol:

Ouch! x 3. Once for you, once for the bike and once for your camera. Yet another testimony to ATGATT being a worthy motto to live by. The raspberry will heal, the toys will be replaced. Glad to see that you're OK enough to tell the story.

Jill

Scary stuff there Duff!

Glad your ok.

Our assumption of greater risk is ever present while choosing 2 wheel entertainment. Me and a friend frjforum member bristercl took a nice Sunday afternoon ride for a couple hours--yesterday. One of my favorite local rural twisty roads, ridden it many times over the years. I was following behind bristercl when out of nowhere a hawk flew straight into bristercl's left mirror, he never saw it coming. Folded the mirror in. It's a good thing we were on a short straight stretch. It shook him up a bit. We pulled over and gave him a few minutes to collect himself. The purpose of this post is to simply remind ourselves of the sudden, unexpected and elevated dangers which lurk.

Safety first and everybody be careful out there. Hope to meet you in Golden Duff!

The more I read these posts, the more I want to get into track riding.

The street is just dangerous (not the track isn't, but...) but there is just less to worry about.

Posts like these continue to confirm the importance of gear. I am so glad I read these prior to my wrecks, as I used to be squidly riding with no helmet, jeans, and a t-shirt.

Hopefully, someone who reads this post will do the same, go out, buy good gear, realize it can always happen to you! Glad your o.k.

Hate to see a camera like that. Was it around your neck or on a techmount?

Glad to see that it was a good accident... ( any accident that you can walk away from is a good one ) and i hope you can get back on the road again soon.

Now that you have had this experiance let us know what you decide to replace your riding gear with..

You never mentioned if your helmet saved you any real problems.. and how hard of a hit it might have taken or what brand too..

See you at one of the rides sometime soon I hope.. and keep the pictures coming when your able.. they actually look like some preaty good pics.

Man that's bad, I hate to see a wadded up bike. Great that you only got a strawberry out of that spill.

Like someone said, I hope it doesn't ruin the road for you. I still pucker up just a bit when I pass the site of my deer strike from last August.

Latest posts