Unlocked the sport without saddlebags, really? Top case better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy who has the C-14 sez, "The Connie looks terrible without side bags, the FJR looks cool". Go figure. Bill
Got that correct, at least Yomommaha got the bags off look GREAT. Might sell more FJR's if displayed & advertised w/o

bags and then say hey if you want look what we can do !!! Bags on or off it is one fast mofo, I don't need a faster bike,

I need a faster me(as in I could improve my riding skills 25% & not use the bike to its full potential).

I usually ride with the bags. But I turn better right than left, so I throw some rocks in the left bag to help out.

I never ride with the sidebags anymore, as they hit the wall while transitioning my side yard. I also DO notice a difference in the twisties with all bags off. The biggest handling difference is with the topcase on. It makes it feel top heavy to me. I mostly commute to work or ride the twisties, so a tank bag is all I need. If you ride the bike hard, you will feel a difference IMO.

I love the look with the bags off and have never had anyone say my bike looks goofy that way.

Splitting lanes in Cali is also much easier with the side bags off. I even fold one mirror in for added clearance when in traffic with small gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the look with the bags off and have never had anyone say my bike looks goofy that way.
That's because it doesn't look Goofy. This bike is gorgeous with bags on or off. Not all ST's can say the same. Have you seen a Connie with the bags off? I looks like Crap on Toast. :rolleyes:

ride the twisties with a half tank of gas or less and you will notice it a LOT more than without empty bags.

If you want a NOTICEABLE difference in cornering handling on your FJR then get on a diet and lose 50 lbs off your body first.

But that ain't easy and not nearly as quick as taking off the hard bags.

Never use the saddlebags since I can't squeeze out of my garage with them on. Some days feel like I should sell one car to create the space to have them attached. With me weighing only 145#, no attached saddlebags, and when having 1/4 or less in the tank, the FJR really scoots! By weighing 145#, I can only use the centerstand when there's not much gas in the tank, but it beats having a bike with less horsepower!

Never use the saddlebags since I can't squeeze out of my garage with them on. Some days feel like I should sell one car to create the space to have them attached. With me weighing only 145#, no attached saddlebags, and when having 1/4 or less in the tank, the FJR really scoots! By weighing 145#, I can only use the centerstand when there's not much gas in the tank, but it beats having a bike with less horsepower!
[
offtopic.gif
]

Suggest you have a search on how to "get it up". I weigh 145 lbs and have no trouble. It's technique, not weight.

[/
offtopic.gif
]

No bags does make a difference in handling. haven't had them on my bike in 3 or 4 years. But I don't do any LD either. Plus the bike is way sexier without 'em.

ride the twisties with a half tank of gas or less and you will notice it a LOT more than without empty bags.

If you want a NOTICEABLE difference in cornering handling on your FJR then get on a diet and lose 50 lbs off your body first.

But that ain't easy and not nearly as quick as taking off the hard bags.
+1

oh the FJR Diet strikes again!

I put them back on and don't feel as much difference. Maybe the gas tak difference between mounting/unmounting.

My Sargent backrest does cause turbulence though.

What I would like to know is does the bikes get better mileage w/o the sidebags?
Good question as each rider would give you a different answer based on setup, personal stats (weight, etc) and riding style/location. I think you would have to ride your FJR with and without the bags and test it "for your answer". I like riding with the bags off and don't like them getting scuffed, etc when empty. I (personally) find they do cause a bit of drag on "my bike" and a tid bid of lower fuel mpg. I do feel the added drag at speed with the bags on vs off.

Isn't it nice the bags are so easy to install/uninstall. Also unlike the Concurs the FJR looks great with or without the sidebags. Personally if I don't need them I leave them at home, sometimes using a tank bag for bare necessities. Its nice to have options and yes I do feel a minor improvement in nimbleness without them but its not a huge difference.

Bill

Isn't it nice the bags are so easy to install/uninstall. Also unlike the Concurs the FJR looks great with or without the sidebags. Personally if I don't need them I leave them at home, sometimes using a tank bag for bare necessities. Its nice to have options and yes I do feel a minor improvement in nimbleness without them but its not a huge difference.

Bill
Best answer all day :clapping: :yahoo:

Suggest you have a search on how to "get it up". I weigh 145 lbs and have no trouble. It's technique, not weight.

^^^^ whut he said - I weigh 150 and have no problem getting it on the centerstand with the bags loaded and a tail bag on.

Technique is your friend.

You small guys have the riding advantage power to weight ratio plus less top heavy (center/gravity). Now putting the bike on the centerstand is almost a 1-finger deal however for me (6-4 238lbs) and my left nut sack weighs as much as some of the smaller riders here... lol. JK!!

Anywho, this applies to every kind of aggressive or racing type of riding. Small (but strong) guys rule. Sure it's technique but advantage to the little guy... hey, they got to have some kind of advantage in life!

That being said, this is why us bigger riders try to trim or offset what we can to make this margin closer. The side bags loaded are a part of this small offset we are looking for AND we are talking about the Twisties correct? Yes, technique is a must, but bigger riders need more (& better) technique & mechanics to offset the additional weight/center gravity that are larger bodies (& nutsacks) have.

Bottom line and this is for almost all powersports including my beloved snowmobiling

Heavier rider aka: Big guy keeps up with Little guy on twisties (or esses, trails etc) the Big guy has definitely more/better technique and mechanics. Little guy creeps ahead, skillset is probably pretty close/equal. Little guys dusts Big guy, hey didn't I tell you above that.. the Little guy rules!

Hi, guys.

My only two-cents to this thread is how amazed I was when I saw the look on my FJR after removing the saddlebags. I honestly hadn't given it to much thought, but after reading this thread I decided to take a quick peak.

Now I ride like this on a daily basis and load the saddlebags only for weekend trips.

I want to post a picture but I think since I'm new to the forum it won't let me yet.

...how amazed I was when I saw the look on my FJR after removing the saddlebags...Now I ride like this on a daily basis and load the saddlebags only for weekend trips.
I want to post a picture but I think since I'm new to the forum it won't let me yet.
I like the daily convenience and utility of the saddlebags and ride with them all the time. You like the looks. Win/win.

You can, err, that is, you are able to post pictures from day 1. You need to upload your pictures to someplace like Photobucket, then using the picture button in the Reply to this topic editor paste the URL to the picture. Only picture links that end in JPG GIF or PNG will work.

Welcome! [Gen III envy]

...how amazed I was when I saw the look on my FJR after removing the saddlebags...Now I ride like this on a daily basis and load the saddlebags only for weekend trips.

I like the daily convenience and utility of the saddlebags and ride with them all the time. You like the looks. Win/win. You can, err, that is, you are able to post pictures from day 1. You need to upload your pictures to someplace like Photobucket, then using the picture button in the Reply to this topic editor paste the URL to the picture. Only picture links that end in JPG GIF or PNG will work. Welcome! [Gen III envy]
Wow! Thanks ionbeam for the quick feedback, let's try it out then and see if I've figured it out.
With saddlebags:

Without saddlebags: