Unlocked the sport without saddlebags, really? Top case better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ ^ Yep, that's an FJR all right.

And since we've got this old thread revived, I'll add one thought that I didn't see anywhere in it (didn't even realize it was a 2-yr. old thread till I saw Mad Mike had posted), although ionbeam did mention the "utility" factor. The one time I go for a ride without my side cases will be the one time I need the tool kit, or the first aid kit, or my rain gear or wind liner, or some other damn thing that I always have with me. Or I'll realize ten miles from home that I need to stop for groceries or something. I take my bags off when I'm riding to the shop to leave it for service. Only.

I have to agree here too. The bags empty put an extra 20-30 lbs on the tail plus some wind resistance. How can you not feel that?
I just weighed an empty saddlebag on my postal scale. It is 12lbs, so 24 lbs total and is located below the center of gravity of the bike.

24 pounds on a 640+ pound bike plus a ~180 lb rider represents less than a 3% difference in weight.

It would be a much bigger effect by not filling the gas tank more than half way. The two empty bags weigh less than 4 gallons of fuel, and the fuel is way up high and forward in the chassis.
Good one Fred

^ ^ ^ Yep, that's an FJR all right.
And since we've got this old thread revived, I'll add one thought that I didn't see anywhere in it (didn't even realize it was a 2-yr. old thread till I saw Mad Mike had posted), although ionbeam did mention the "utility" factor. The one time I go for a ride without my side cases will be the one time I need the tool kit, or the first aid kit, or my rain gear or wind liner, or some other damn thing that I always have with me. Or I'll realize ten miles from home that I need to stop for groceries or something. I take my bags off when I'm riding to the shop to leave it for service. Only.
Well, that's also a great point. My first comment was oriented towards the looks part of this discussion. As per the utility aspect, I won't deny that it feels really weird to not be using any baggage, as I used to own a Vee with a Shad top case before I traded it in for the FJR. IMHO, top cases are easier to work with for daily use than saddlebags.
I recently ordered the SH50 with the matching top case, and I'm still waiting for it. Once I have it installed I will post another picture with the top case / no saddle bag version of the FJR.

Since we are talking about subjective opinions, IMSO the bike only looks complete when the side bags are on. When you take them off it looks out of balance because you have this big huge faring up front and very little painted plastic in the rear.

I also have never seen a trunk that makes the bike actually look better either with or without the side bags. To me, they all look like warts that have grown on the back end and stick up like a prairie dog. Probably looks worst with no side bags though. That is just not a look I can get my head around.

I do have and use a color matched GIVI trunk when riding with my passenger, but it is for the utility aspects of the trunk, certainly not for the "good looks."

As for improved performance without those bags? Yeah... and I have a bridge in Arizona I want to sell you.

edit - That's a first for me. I just got a 2 year old post "liked." Thanks Rog! Glad that you enjoyed it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can feel the shift in weight from side to side transitions with the bags on. I almost always have the bags off. It is far worse with the topcase attached. I think it is the wind resistance more than the weight, but it is DEFINITELY there. I like the look of the bike with the bags off. You have to admit, the FJR looks far better with the bags off than an ST.

Some argue to use the saddle bags all of the time for safety. If your leg/foot gets caught on a low side crash, the saddle bag may help keep the bike upright long enough for you to get you leg out. I think about that often, although I only use the side bags on long trips.

I assume the Yamaha top case is more aerodynamically sound then all the third-party options.
I would not assume anything like that from Yamaha. I've noticed different ride characteristics with the top case (feels like the back end is wagging back and forth - even when empty). I don't think the airflow over and around the topcase is optimal at all.
+1 on the top box wagging in my case as well. I bought a Givi E55 with the intent on using it instead of the side bags for daily use as I find a top box more convenient. Went back to using the side bags after one commute to work. Very hard to notice the side bags are even there. I'm curious as to how all the different windshields peeps use on the FJR may add to or reduce the "top box wag" or if it matters at all. BTW, I run a CEE Baily +4x2 flip.
I also run with an E55 but have not noticed any issues at all with it. I do ride two up most of the time so wonder if that has an influence or not.

I must also say that I prefer to ride my FJ fully dressed. Just think it looks better that way IMHO.

Glad you guys revived this thread. My goal this summer is to drag a peg...not so much to say I did but to move further into the capabilities of the bike.to at least know better where those limits might be. Right now I ride pretty far inside of the limits.

Which sparks another question; when folks drag pegs are we talking on a flat surface or is this usally a banked and cambered curve(for bragging rights)?

Definitely got the bike around the corners and at a better lean angle without the bags today. Thanks for the reminder. Something about the bike not flopping over with the additional weight is confidence inspiring.

Only use them on trips, don't use them otherwise. I have a tailbag on the pillion and a tankbag, that carries anything I really NEED. I think she looks great WITHOUT the bags on, and don't see the "gap" as a bad thing. That said, when I load her up for a trip, I still look at her and stand in awe at her beauty.

This bike is so many things, to so many people. Perfection.

Not bragging rights, it just happens. Flat, banked, cambered, and even reverse camber. I hate when the pegs drag, that is why I have a Penske adjusted all the way up. I have not dragged the pegs on the street since getting the Penske and Race Tech gold valves, but did a few times on the track.

Which sparks another question; when folks drag pegs are we talking on a flat surface or is this usally a banked and cambered curve(for bragging rights)?

The talk about drag and milage from the bags has me curious. In a few tests I have seen with wind tunnels (not an FJR, different bikes with aftermarket bags in the 80's) The bags helped the bike by closing the air more smoothly behind the rider. With the big fairing, and then the rider, I would think the bags on the FJR would do the same. I run with the bags most times. Never lost anybody that I thought taking the bags off would have made me fast enough to catch them!
lmaosmiley.gif

Not bragging rights, it just happens. Flat, banked, cambered, and even reverse camber. I hate when the pegs drag, that is why I have a Penske adjusted all the way up. I have not dragged the pegs on the street since getting the Penske and Race Tech gold valves, but did a few times on the track.

Delicious. The next couple of days should prove interesting. What is the slowest speed you'd drag a peg?

Delicious. The next couple of days should prove interesting. What is the slowest speed you'd drag a peg?
The first time I dragged a peg (whilst still under control
omg2.gif
) I'd guess I was doing about 10 mph. This was on a very tight hairpin.

Previously I've rubbed the edges of my boots, this time I had my feet well tucked in. It still surprised me, as I'd never had that sensation before.

I still don't make a habit of it, most of the roads I use would leave no margin for anything unexpected.

Oh, yes - the topic - like others here, I always have my bags on to carry stuff like puncture repair, warm layers for me, water (to drink and to wipe my visor), cargo net and cord (just in case I want to carry anything too large to fit in a bag), other stuff that I can't remember (because I haven't used it in years). They only come off when taking it to the dealer or for washing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with RR. Having the empty bags on or off cannot possible make a big enough difference to be felt. Of course the placebo effect of knowing your bike looks sportier is enough to cause the brain to twist the right wrist more.
And, if you actually intend on carrying a few things it is far preferable to put that weight as low as possible, so the side bags are much better than a top box.
Strongly agree ....

The bags carry the weight lower and farther forward, closer to the center of gravity. That's a good thing.

My bike does feel different with the Givi in place. I've carried it empty on day trips, when I'm in tourist mode, to have a convenient place for helmet and jacket.