Unofficial Countdown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
packed, loaded (mostly)

just waiting for the front forks to be done at the shop....should be today. Shake down ride Tues/Wed... no sleep Wed night, leave an 0-dark-thirty Thursday morning....

:rockwoot:

:hyper:

:bike:

Crapsticks. NOAA and Wunderground just changed their Friday forecast. Guess I can leave the SPF home.
And then depression set in...

Well, I suppose it's too early to bank on the forecasts. But it does look like the average MPH will be adversely impacted.
You should join Glory Racing and myself in Springfield thursday morning... It's looking to be the best day riding so far, And i plan on taking advantage of that!

Talked about here

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, you guys unfamiliar with the area need to use a different wx forecast. The address is as follows www.getoutofbedandlookoutside.com

Another good site is www.packraingearandenjoytheride.com, but requires a less pessimistic outlook on life for full enjoyment.

NW AR is one of those areas they never can seem to get right more than half of the time. In all the time I/ve lived here I have come to expect the forecasters to be wrong 70/80% of the time when looking at their forecasts more than 24 hrs out. This time of year they may give a 70% rain chance in the forecast 2 days out and no rain even falls in the forecast area. It's more likely that they will give 70% forecast and one or two scattered afternoon showers will pop up in the area. Trade in your Zumo for a 376 series with xm wx package and just ride around most of them. I've never understood why Garmin didn't make the full suite of XM WX products available on a motorcycle specific unit like the Zumo.

I just throw on rain gear when it looks like rain is unavoidable and do my best to avoid the really heavy rain and thunderstorms.

David

Final farkles being installed today (Datel). Checked grounding lug in faring, all OK!

We're ready to go!

Speaking of the Garmin, I've got a 2730 but haven't hooked up the XM weather. Is it really that good? Is anybody using it? Can I simply phone up XM (I have a subscription for my truck radio) and have them turn it on?

Seriously, you guys unfamiliar with the area need to use a different wx forecast. The address is as follows www.getoutofbedandlookoutside.com Another good site is www.packraingearandenjoytheride.com, but requires a less pessimistic outlook on life for full enjoyment.

NW AR is one of those areas they never can seem to get right more than half of the time. In all the time I/ve lived here I have come to expect the forecasters to be wrong 70/80% of the time when looking at their forecasts more than 24 hrs out. This time of year they may give a 70% rain chance in the forecast 2 days out and no rain even falls in the forecast area. It's more likely that they will give 70% forecast and one or two scattered afternoon showers will pop up in the area. Trade in your Zumo for a 376 series with xm wx package and just ride around most of them. I've never understood why Garmin didn't make the full suite of XM WX products available on a motorcycle specific unit like the Zumo.

I just throw on rain gear when it looks like rain is unavoidable and do my best to avoid the really heavy rain and thunderstorms.

David
+1

Arkansas and Oklahoma weather change by the second...maybe even nanosecond.

Good news!

:lol: According to the latest info there is a higher probability of no rain than rain.

If it does rain, it will make your tires last longer. B)

You should join Glory Racing and myself in Springfield thursday morning... It's looking to be the best day riding so far, And i plan on taking advantage of that!

Talked about here

Galaxy Blue:

I'd like that. I'm having a bit of trouble getting out of some meetings Thursday. But I'll keep trying. If I can swing it, maybe I can PM you to exchange cell numbers so I know when/where to rendezvous.

Final farkles being installed today (Datel). Checked grounding lug in faring, all OK!
We're ready to go!

Speaking of the Garmin, I've got a 2730 but haven't hooked up the XM weather. Is it really that good? Is anybody using it? Can I simply phone up XM (I have a subscription for my truck radio) and have them turn it on?
I think (ouch) you'll have to pay for the extra device (added cost). That's what my bro-in-law told me and what I read while I was researching it. However, maybe you can sweet talk them into the weather only for the gps???

Good news! :lol: According to the latest info there is a higher probability of no rain than rain.

If it does rain, it will make your tires last longer. B)
At least we won't have that pesky sun in our eyes!! LOL

(am remembering going up the switchbacks on 123 3 years ago and couldn't see crap cause I was blinded!)

Seriously, you guys unfamiliar with the area need to use a different wx forecast. The address is as follows www.getoutofbedandlookoutside.com Another good site is www.packraingearandenjoytheride.com, but requires a less pessimistic outlook on life for full enjoyment. ....snip...

:lol: :lol:

One of my favorite posts this year...

Seriously, you guys unfamiliar with the area need to use a different wx forecast. The address is as follows www.getoutofbedandlookoutside.com Another good site is www.packraingearandenjoytheride.com, but requires a less pessimistic outlook on life for full enjoyment. ....snip...

:lol: :lol:

One of my favorite posts this year...

Thats funny, but ironically mostly true. Hints of rain will cause many to drop out.

We're ready to go!

I think (ouch) you'll have to pay for the extra device (added cost). That's what my bro-in-law told me and what I read while I was researching it. However, maybe you can sweet talk them into the weather only for the gps???

Correct. You do have to pay an activation fee($50) and a monthly fee($30-fisherman package) for the XM WX, but the first time you save yourself from riding/driving into a major WX event you will forget all about the cost. I was very thankful to have it along for my drive Saturday afternoon. I was dodging two major thunderstorm cells on I 40 going through Oklahoma. I stopped to wait for the first one to pass, others were not so lucky, apparently 2-3" hail does a lot of damage when you drive headlong into it. :angry2:

I was stopped on a ramp with several other vehicles including a car hauler with a load of high end cars. After the driver came back and looked at the screen for a while, he wrote down all the info on what he needed to get the same thing in his truck.

Having up to date radar images is nice to help in making an informed decision on wheather to stop, keep going, or take a different route. I drive well in excess of 100k miles/year so the decision was easy for me.

I'll be at SFO if anyone wants to get a better look at what all this is about. XM Weather The marine weather fisherman package is probably the best chioce unless you also go boating on the oceans or fly an airplane. Different garmin products will display different wx products and it can be confusing which products will actually display on each unit(XM website sucks in this regard and garmin website isn't much better). Typically the marine and aviation units will display the most information, which is why I chose the 376C. Many of the automotive units will only display the NavTraffic and NavWeather which is not the same as the XM WX services offered.

I couldn't find any info on which wx products the 2730 will display, it may be easier to just plug my GXM-30 into your gps and see what it will display.

David

I can get "local" weather stuff on my smartphone. It's not as realtime as I'm guessing that XM stuff is, but it still gives me a good idea of what I'm heading into.

I'm just too broke to upgrade the gps and pay for another service :(

Thanks for the XM info, will look you up at ES.

We're sitting here in Texarkana, about 5:00 PM on Wednesday, JUST got into the motel before a MAJOR weather event. Literialy within minutes. Dry tonight, hopefully tomorrow morning too.

All of the Canadians are already at the hotel and there are tornado warning sirens going off!! :lol: Boy am I hearing about it! Apparently some Canadians don't know what to do with tornados. :eek: :help:

Last edited by a moderator: