Update: It is not unlawful to carry a passenger on an FJR in Texas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNtexas

Reaction score
The Texas House is considering HB383, which would ban the carrying of passengers on our FJRs:

SECTION 3. Section 545.416, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows: Sec. 545.416. RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle. ( b ) An operator may not carry another person on the motorcycle, and a person who is not operating the motorcycle may not ride on the motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person. © If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, a passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator. (d) If a motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, the motorcycle must be equipped with foot rests and handholds for use by a passenger on the motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was talking to a salesman at a victory dealer in ohio and he was saying cruiser style bikes are required to have the strap over the seat for a passenger hold, but only cruiser are required. Kinda odd if you ask me?

The Texas House is considering HB383, which would ban the carrying of passengers on our FJRs:

SECTION 3. Section 545.416, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows: Sec. 545.416. RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle. ( b ) An operator may not carry another person on the motorcycle, and a person who is not operating the motorcycle may not ride on the motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person. © If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, a passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator. (d) If a motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, the motorcycle must be equipped with foot rests and handholds for use by a passenger on the motorcycle.
How does anything in that proposed bill disqualify the FJR? It has a "permanent and regular seat" firmly attached behind the operator, it is "equipped with foot rests and handholds".

I think you've seriously misread something here.

Many cruisers do not have handholds for the passengers. The FJR most definitely does. That's those grab rails beside the passenger seat, where the passenger holds on with their.... you know.... hands.

I've never understood the lack of them on cruisers, other than "style." Then again, style is more important to some of those folks than functionality.

Or reliability. Or handling. Or speed. Or smoothness. But I digress.....

Sometimes the handhold exists but is concealed. The bodywork itself next to the seat is the handhold, rather than a grab rail. Or they don't have handhold at all and that's why they have that strap across the seat. Yeah, that's where I'd want my hands, right under the rider's butt. Now we know why chaps are assless!

How does anything in that proposed bill disqualify the FJR? It has a "permanent and regular seat" firmly attached behind the operator, it is "equipped with foot rests and handholds".

I think you've seriously misread something here.
A forum first? I though you was da only blind fuk here.

:fuck:

Why is Texas even considering this type of nonsensical nanny-state legislation? I thought it was one of the last free states!!!

Why is Texas even considering this type of nonsensical nanny-state legislation? I thought it was one of the last free states!!!
Do a google search for "Malories Law" and you'll find out. It was mainly to target sportbikes though. It's been going on for a few years now.

Brief summary.

Malorie Elise Bullock, a 19 years of age Honor’s College student at Texas A&M University of Commerce, tragically lost her life April 8th 2010, while a passenger on a light weight motorcycle (crotch rocket). This petition is to help prevent further injury or death as a result of being a passenger on light weight motorcycles.
Riders and passengers of light weight motorcycles are required to obtain a permit for carrying a passenger or being a passenger on these motorcycles. Riders carrying passengers may only be experienced riders with the knowledge of changes and adjustments which are needed to carry passengers. A knowledge written test and rider’s skills test will be required, with a passing score, to obtain a passenger permit.

Riders and passengers will be ticketed when either one or both do not have a permit for passengers while riding on the light weight motorcycles.

Sad story regarding the young lady.

More stories w/o the loss of life, but sobering nonetheless...Rock The Gear. Check out the testimonials.

Pretty vague defining a light weight motorcycle, seems there's much more work to be done before anything meaningful comes of this.

--G

I think most of us here would applaud improvements to safety, but there is no "dumbass defeat" button or option yet that i'm aware of on any bike. Anybody remember the push for seatbelts on a motorcycle...oh yeah, i wanna be attached to my bike as i tumble wildly through the median whilst " Skyler" complains of hitting a blue plastic something during his texting/hair product application at the last traffic light...dooood...i think i hit a recycle bin....legislators....what scopes are made for...

Blessings,

Bobby

Used to be fewer idiots because their hijinks took them out of the gene pool before consumer protection groups started meddling.

its Nader Bounce...bastard tipped the gene pool....and the shallow end be gettin hot and crowded....mutants of mutants...we can do a great grandparent here in 36 years average...i say we bring back the convertible corvair...without pesky seatbelts...they're not in suburbans or explorers, so i say.....go chevy !...chrome crampon/stirrups for harleys too...skulls and stuff....thin the herd.....

laws are only as good as their enforcement....or not....you done with that donut?

bobby