Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it yesterday... The download took about 15 minutes... My computer ran at about half speed after the download. Several programs did not work. I found it difficult to navigate. Terms have been changed and I believe they are trying to make the format similar to a phone. I went back to 7 last night and am happy again. Will not go to 10 even when they eventually get the bugs worked out. I did not see anything in there other than the search engine that was that new.

Stayed with XP myself until they stopped supporting it, then went to Win 7. It does everything I need and I'll stick with it until they stop supporting it. I have Win 8.1 on one laptop, hated it until I downloaded Classic Shell and use it in desktop view. Don't see any need to learn a new system when the one I'm using is doing everything I need to my satisfaction.

Wondering if Windows 10 changes the way this Forum looks/works on MS machines. Quotes? Cut & paste? Posting photos?

What I posted above and couldn't fully delete: my ex wife works for MS, so I am an Apple boy. I often wonder if that's childish, but I keep using the Apple stuff.

I tried it yesterday... The download took about 15 minutes... My computer ran at about half speed after the download. Several programs did not work. I found it difficult to navigate. Terms have been changed and I believe they are trying to make the format similar to a phone. I went back to 7 last night and am happy again. Will not go to 10 even when they eventually get the bugs worked out. I did not see anything in there other than the search engine that was that new.
This is where they are going. A consistent UI on all platforms; including the phones they don't sell made by a company they bought which they turned around and fired everyone from and are trying to sell off.

As for how web forums look, just use Firefox and no matter the platform, it looks the same.

I was watching a tech podcast and they spent 10 minutes raving about the new Win10 side-bar notifications feature. You know, the thing that looks and works like the OS X feature that's been around so long that I forget when it first showed up.

So, now that this has become yet another OS debate, off it goes to NEPRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the jump to Windows 10 and I like it so far. No more scrolling the screen to see what programs I have installed, just the good old start button and desktop! The browser is a nice upgrade also.

Mostly an OSX user, but I do have a Windows 8.1 machine at home just for gaming. 8.1 turned out to be much faster and cleaner than Win 7 for me (after ditching the tiles), but I'll be upgrading it to 10 once MS lets it. Can't argue with free...something OSX has done for a couple years now. ;)

Started the upgrade process at lunch, but not before doing a full system image of my Windows 7 setup.

Really didn't like Windows 8, so I downgraded the laptop to Windows 7. Works well, but scaling doesn't work well on Windows 7 with the 4k display. I'll give it a shot to evaluate it, but it won't take me much to go back to what I had.

Windows 10 people. Are your computers being used to update new Windows 10 users?

I read something this morning about MS doing that...and using user's bandwidth to do that. Is that possible?

Windows 10 people. Are your computers being used to update new Windows 10 users?
I read something this morning about MS doing that...and using user's bandwidth to do that. Is that possible?
Oy. A topic that will likely not fare well on this forum.....
fool.gif

This source seems a worthy place to read about it and plenty of other computer forums to pontificate than this already-NEPRT thread. Let's at least try and hew to the original OP question, "Anyone else make the jump yet?"
wink.png

To which I answer that I haven't yet, but looking forward to it. Never been a fan of Window 8.x and hoping a bit of an update from the very likable Windows 7. The WUDO thing should be nice for me as I have three machines on my network and presumably won't have to use external bandwidth to update each!

Oy. A topic that will likely not fare well on this forum.....
fool.gif

This source seems a worthy place to read about it and plenty of other computer forums to pontificate than this already-NEPRT thread. Let's at least try and hew to the original OP question, "Anyone else make the jump yet?"
wink.png

To which I answer that I haven't yet, but looking forward to it. Never been a fan of Window 8.x and hoping a bit of an update from the very likable Windows 7.
oops. I just thought this was a thread about whether W10 was good enough to jump to, and if you had done it, what was your experiences. If my question brings heartburn, I will gladly withdraw it and read it on the neenernet instead of from my pals here.

I made it about an hour on Windows 10. Paint Shop Pro and Diablo 3 would not run. Well, I tried.

Already back on Windows 7.

I've upgraded 3 pcs so far. Only issue was that the new browser, MS Edge, froze up a few times. But did some updates today and problem solved. So far I like it.

Am I missing something? I reserved my free upgrade on my laptop so I could use it as a testbed prior to doing my PC. I'm hearing all about how all my friends have already done theirs, but I can't get mine past "Thanks for reserving your copy!" wth?!

Am I missing something? I reserved my free upgrade on my laptop so I could use it as a testbed prior to doing my PC. I'm hearing all about how all my friends have already done theirs, but I can't get mine past "Thanks for reserving your copy!" wth?!
Yea, still waiting here after a few days. There is a way to get it ahead of time by downloading MS' media tools or something like that (Google it), but I can't be bothered...when it arrives, it arrives.

My schedule notification came last night with one machine. As I started the process for it I noticed the other machines shortly after said ready as well. I noticed a slight bandwidth gap for maybe about 15 minutes, but was pleasantly surprised and guessing it was part of the peer sharing of the data at work.

Haven't used much yet, but looks better than Windows 8.1 to me already.

It looked way better than Windows 8. I was looking forward to it, but the compatibility wasn't there. I can't afford to have a laptop down while I figure it out, so I went back to 7. I'll do some research on the issues I was seeing and if they get resolved, I might try again.

I just upgraded to Win 7 Pro 64-bit a couple of months ago. Went with the 64-bit to support more than 2GB of memory. Only upgraded because a bunch of programs got cut off from running on XP.

Had the (annoying) pop up notification just in the past week, but clicking on it told me that Win10 doesn't support my CPU (Intel Xeon Dual 3.2G Processors) so I'll just stay where I'm at.

By the way, after it tells you that you aren't eligible, the little widget still stays there forever in your task bar recommending that you upgrade to Windows 10. You have to find the Windows Update that installed it and remove that and then hide it from auto re-installing itself again later.

Got home from work yesterday and found my gaming rig was ready to update. I launched the update and waited...eventually, it stated "Restoring Previous Version of Windows"; upgrade failed. Repeated this process 3 times and each time got the same obtuse reason for failure (a non-specific error code). After a bunch of sleuthing with System File Checker, it seems I have some corrupted device files (for AMD cpu's...which I don't have, lol). SFC can't fix them and I can't be bothered to sort it out, so I'm sticking with 8.1 for now. ;)