Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is choosing the "custom" install instead of "standard" right? This makes sure you can turn off WiFi password sharing and other privacy settings that MS decided you'd want to share with the world.

Hmmmm Windows 10

It collects an incredibly huge amount of information, including your encryption keys, and Microsoft gets to keep this info.

Here ya go - have a peak....

Click on the pic to make it bigger.....

9DoVoix.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I read an article that had that image in it...wasn't that from an early build? Anyway, yea, Windows 10 collects a lot of crap...but then again, consider how much crap we give Google (Gmail/Searching), Facebook, and others when we take advantage of their free services. Slippery slope...

Yea, Bounce, I'd definitely take the Custom setup route...

This all hurts my head. Thinkin about turning off the internet.

Can I get a FJRForum monthy newsletter via snailmail?

:)

Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, a day after release.

Much prefer 10 to 8.1, every program I use works as it should. Interface is not annoying at all like 8 was, even less annoying than 8.1

Went through 13 privacy tabs and turned off everything I didn't like.

Liking it so far.

If you pick "express" installation then all data collection and info sharing is enabled. You can go and find it all by digging through about 20 pages of settings and turn them off or you can choose "custom" installation and it will step through each along the way.

Here's an interesting one:

"Send Microsoft information about how you write"

I chose custom, it didn't ask all that you think it asks, as far as I remember, or it tricked me somehow, as I still found privacy options, that I didn't like later when I dug through them... dunno..

Easy to get to privacy tabs.

Do a search (bottom left text box) on "privacy". Click on any privacy options, it will show them all on the new page, if you do.

Alternatively, go to Start -> Settings -> Privacy.

As for WiFi sharing, if you haven't already done so. You can turn that off as below:

Search for "Wifi". Click on "Change WiFi settings".

Alternatively, go to Start -> Settings -> Network and Internet.

Click on Manage WiFi settings.

Turn off Connect to hotspots and

Turn off Connect to networks shared by Contacts.

After monkeying around with it last night to see if I could get it to finally install, it failed again, I threw in the towel and spent the rest of the evening rebuilding my Fallout New Vegas mod installation. ;)

I am holding off for now, my "guru" says I should wait on the business machines.

If you do update, go in and turn off "Wifi Sense". I would like to hear a report from anyone using an older release of AutoCAD with 10.....if you are using 9 or less please post up on your opinions.

Thanks!

I am holding off for now, my "guru" says I should wait on the business machines.
If you do update, go in and turn off "Wifi Sense". I would like to hear a report from anyone using an older release of AutoCAD with 10.....if you are using 9 or less please post up on your opinions.

Thanks!
I'm using AutoCad 2005 on Windows 7, and am wondering the same thing. I don't want to pay the Autodesk ransom.

On a different note, I get all my internet using my cell phone with a 16GB a month limit. I can't upgrade to windows 10 (a minimum 3GB download) without a hard copy of windows 10, which isn't in the offing.

Thanks!
I'm using AutoCad 2005 on Windows 7, and am wondering the same thing. I don't want to pay the Autodesk ransom.

On a different note, I get all my internet using my cell phone with a 16GB a month limit. I can't upgrade to windows 10 (a minimum 3GB download) without a hard copy of windows 10, which isn't in the offing.
I have heard of people downloading an install and putting it on a memory stick? Can you go to a McDonalds or somewhere and access free wifi to make the download?

Thanks!

Be careful when you do. You'll need to ID your tethered phone connection as capped so WIn10 won't do auto updates until you plug into ethernet. Win10 Home will do updates without recourse Pro can only be delayed a short time, Enterprise does scheduled in-net updates (using WSUS?).

Switched today and I am in the process of switching back to 8.1. Terribly buggy on my HP Pavilion. Couldn't get internet favorites to import. Missing icons. Other stuff didn't work right. I'll do some more reading on it and might try again in a month or two. Not happy witb it.

This is an interesting thread. I had no idea how much privacy was lost with Win 10. I may stick with Win 7 until it is no longer supported in 2020 or whatever.

I wonder if this much info is shared using a cell phone using Android or has Microsoft gone overboard?

Microsoft is getting on the personal information bandwagon in a big way. What else is their motivation to "give" you their latest and greatest operating system? Google/Android, Facebook and Apple are also in this in a big way and for the same reasons. How do you think Google (and the others) make so much money? Its not from the fees they charge for using their products. Not much you can do about it unless you want to just step away from your keyboard (and smartphone). In the past five years, on-line privacy has gone from something you could (almost) control to unbelievably intrusive. Just look at the privacy permissions you have to accept just to install a simple phone app.

"Brave New World", indeed! You can either be terrified about it or just bury your head in the sand and carry on in the hopes that their interests are benign.

You can disable most tracking in iOS (and I assume Android). This much in a desktop OS is new(ish) territory. As with most history of MS though, "the tyranny of the default" is what will get you. When WinNT was released, experts had told them (in person and in the media) that many of their security settings were disabled by default and it would lead to problems with WinNT machines as they connected to the internet. MS refused to listen because locking down the system and expecting users to "opt in" to features (like Linux does) would mean increased calls to their help desk. Sure enough the security experts were right.

In this case, it's not their help desk they are protecting, it's their data mining ability and instead of the internet being put at risk of botnets, it's your privacy in a era when every major customer database has been or will be hacked and sold on the open market.

With both WinNT and Win10 the end user can change nearly all of these settings and lock down their privacy as much (little?) as with Win7. The trick is KNOWING they should and understanding HOW. It's an opt-out system and those are never good.