Using an iTouch as a GPS unit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you think it would not work for a motorcycle? Not waterproof? Too small?
How is the cradle attached to the bike? How firmly is the iTouch attached to the cradle, i.e. is it going to pop out when you hit a couple of good bumps and surf down the road behind you some time? And yes, it's not weatherproof, vibration-resistant, or large enough to see without really taking your eyes off the road. If it gets wet, and those tell-tales inside change color, they're not gonna give you a new one under warranty.

You can get a used StreetPilot for less than 200 bucks, have a bigger screen on a weatherproof device that's designed for what you're doing. A Zumo might be more, but they're also out there used.

Last edited by a moderator:
On an interesting side note, I have a Tom Tom Rider 2 I got for about $350 two years ago. Apparently they stopped making this as it's no longer on Tom Tom's site. The only place I see with one in stock now has it listed for $581.99.

It's not the most sophisticated, but it's built tough as hell, totally waterproof and vibration-proof so far. Also works well with gloves. Future collector's item?

I did see this on their website (a car gps): For that price, it's practically disposable... I'd do something cheap like that before risking my smartphone.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/tomtom-outlet-store/one-3rd-edition-refurbished/index.jsp

Received the Dual GPS docking station (XGPS251) last night so here's the update....

1) the setup is a 3 part connection - iTouch into GPS cradle, then cradle snaps into mounting bracket (comes with a connection to a suction-cup style mount).

2) for testing, the suction cup connects pretty solidly to the gas tank just above the gas cap. I've added a tether as backup in case the suction cup gives way but on the commute this morning there was no sign of any loosening of the grip. This of course could change as the rubber in the suction cup ages so if I stick with this plan, the unit would have to go into a more solid and permanent mount.

3) Connection of iTouch into cradle is via friction. There is an angled rubber wedge that is behind the iTouch, and at the bottom there is the Apple connector. When in the cradle alone, there are two connectors on the outside of the cradle, a USB connector for power and a 3.5mm jack for audio output. The effort to remove the iTouch from the cradle is very high, which inspires alot of confidence that it won't move. That too could change as the rubber ages and the connection of the iPod jack wears over time. The cradle has volume up/down controls as well for the speaker, and an internal battery that can power the unit for a claimed 10 hours.

4) Connection of cradle to mounting bracket is a positive snapping mechanism. Once connected, the bracket has the same 3.5mm audio jack, but now has a 5V circular connector available that attaches to a cigarette lighter plug.

5) It appears to me that the overall setup was well thought out. If you're hand holding, then the recharge mechanism is via USB port. In the auto/cycle mode, its a cigarette lighter connection.

6) GPS functionality works great. Position updating appears accurate, speed readout appears accurate (shows that the speedometer is about 8% too high (80 on speedo = 74 on GPS) - does this match others' findings?)

7) MotionX software seems to be the limiting factor. As previously noted, it requires an active data connection (WiFi or cell) to update maps and navigation so is essentially useless for use with the iTouch. It does display your position accurately (lat, long, elevation), speed and heading, but can't translate that into navigation updates without the WiFi data connection. Maybe it would be useful with the iPhone?

8) Next is to try another navigation package - probably will go to Navigon next as it seems to be the best reviewed package though it is more expensive ($30-60 depending on map content).

Give the Copilot app a try that I linked to in post 7 in this thread. The iPhone version "probably" should work, and it's self-contained, maps are on a memory card, no outside connection needed. If it doesn't work, you might get your 5 bucks back, or maybe you're out 5 bucks. You gotta spend 20 bucks if you want text-to-speech and Canada. They'll upgrade the 5-dollar US-only map version to text-to-speech, don't know how much, but you might try the cheapie just to see if it works, and skip a snack to get your money back. :)

Possible downside (since I'm not really an i-stuff guy) is I don't know how it sees the iTouch as far as memory goes. If it downloads and installs (wi-fi needed for download, obviously) then it should be able to find memory that it needs.

I have the app on my windows phone and it's a really nice app. Especially for the money. It won't replace a real GPS, but it gives you just about the same function as one of those C-note Garmins or Tom-Toms.

Give the Copilot app a try that I linked to in post 7 in this thread. The iPhone version "probably" should work, and it's self-contained, maps are on a memory card, no outside connection needed. If it doesn't work, you might get your 5 bucks back, or maybe you're out 5 bucks. You gotta spend 20 bucks if you want text-to-speech and Canada. They'll upgrade the 5-dollar US-only map version to text-to-speech, don't know how much, but you might try the cheapie just to see if it works, and skip a snack to get your money back. :)

Possible downside (since I'm not really an i-stuff guy) is I don't know how it sees the iTouch as far as memory goes. If it downloads and installs (wi-fi needed for download, obviously) then it should be able to find memory that it needs.

I have the app on my windows phone and it's a really nice app. Especially for the money. It won't replace a real GPS, but it gives you just about the same function as one of those C-note Garmins or Tom-Toms.
Update with today's findings:

1) No control of iTouch screen with winter gloves on. I understand that with most gloves you can't control the screen. I found a reference to a conductive thread which someone sewed into the tips of his gloves. Apparently it works great, but I don't think I want to punch holes in my glove fingertips. This is a sure negative.

2) I tried a free trial of CoPilot today and it was a success. Maps were stored directly in the iTouch memory so with a good GPS signal, navigation and search was possible even when out of WiFi range. Unfortunately the software is not very user friendly, has some glitches when trying to run the iTouch for music, and generally is underwhelming. I'm in the middle right now of downloading Navigon (for Western US) for $30.

3) Waterproofing - another problem. I think I'm going to resort to Baggie+rubber band if I get caught out in the rain. I don't want to put another couple hundred $ into a Zumo then have to carry all this stuff around.

4) Last and biggest challenge - getting iTouch+Nav to connect to the Sena headset along with the cell phone. I tried to follow the instructions on the Sena website, but all of the combinations included synching up with a Zumo first, then making a Bluetooth connection between the headset and the Zumo. I struggled last night and today with various combinations but finally came up with a sequence that let me get both devices connected. First is to "pair" the phone with the Sena. Only 1 device can be "paired" to the Sena, but apparently (according to their support) more devices can then be "connected" after the first one is "paired". So after the Blackberry is paired, you then can turn on the Bluetooth on the iTouch, select the Sena from the available devices, and, Voila!

5) As per several reviews, the Sena system is pretty slick. Only 2 total buttons, voice dialing to make outbound calls, plenty of volume even when wearing earplugs, etc... The only drawback in my view are the speakers themselves. They're pretty big and thick which is probably why there is plenty of volume, but it makes fitting them in the helmet, along with your head and ears of course, kind of tight. I'm not sure about how comfortable they're going to be on longer rides, so adding the ear bud option (another $40) may be necessary.

That's it - I think I've got things the way they're going to be for awhile. Maybe I'll post a longer term review if it comes back to mind someday.

I have tried to use my iPhone 3G as a gps unit but It's not ideal. I use the Cygic mobile maps GPS app (about $75) which includes the maps so no wifi or data connection is needed. This app was obviously ported from some other device and was not designed for the iPhone platform as it does not take advantage of typically things like the iphone keyboard, finger swipe gestures, etc. Nor is it integrated with say... Your address book. Drives me crazy to have to look up an address then have to re-enter it in the GPS app. Maybe other apps are better integrated like the AT&T app but I refuse to pay monthly for an app.

By default the app forces the screen to stay on so you can see it rather than allowing the phone to sleep after a minute or two. This of course overheats the phone and causes a shut down. There was an option to turn off this "feature" and allow the screen to sleep but that means you can't see the map and as we know the phone really does not respond to a gloved hand. Not good. However maybe its just me but, I find it hard to actually read the map at speed anyway. So IF I use the phone as a GPS now I just keep it in my pocket or tank bag and just listen to the turn by turn instructions only. You can listen to the iPod at the same time so I usually have my tunes going at the same time. The electronic lady just turns down the tunes for a moment when she interrupts to tell me I missed my exit!

Sounds like you have your solution figured out but I'd thought I'd throw mine in for fun.

I've been using my iPhone, first a 3G and now a 4, with the appropriate RAM mount. I bought the Navigon app as it loads all the maps into memory, takes up 1.2Gb for the entire US mapset. I mount the phone in landscape mode, always have the charge cable attached as it drains juice doing this and I use my Shure E3c noise isolating earbuds. I've found that this setup works great, the iPhone 4 really made the biggest difference with it's more powerful processor, now maps load relatively quickly and once loaded the navigation is fine. I rely mainly on voice directions from the app with a casual glance at the map. iPod integration is great allowing you to listen to music, the app auto mux'es the audio so that directions take priority.

Couple of random suggestions. Make sure you turn off the 'Shake to Shuffle' feature in the iPod/iPhone settings, this will drive you crazy when the music keeps randomly changing every time the device gets rattled ;) I've also found that a good app to get is 'Flick Tunes' which makes music navigation super simple and easily done with gloves on, basically it changes music via finger gesture. Left skips, down play/pause, right restarts. I've never thought to worry about vibration, the device is solid state with no moving parts, been using it as my GPS for 2 seasons now without issue. I guess I figure that I'll end up upgrading before it breaks.

Couple of random suggestions. Make sure you turn off the 'Shake to Shuffle' feature in the iPod/iPhone settings, this will drive you crazy when the music keeps randomly changing every time the device gets rattled ;)
Ya, this one drove me crazy the first few weeks. Once the light bulb went on in my head as to what was causing my music to skip so much, I got a good laugh.

I found this Magellan GPS receiver mount that looks promising:

https://www.amazon.com/Magellan-Premium-iPhone-iPod-touch/dp/B002WN30IM

It allows you to mount the phone with a protective case, but that might not be a big fat waterproof otterbox. Looks like it also works with many applications not just Magellan's app.

Somebody buy it and let us know...

Update on the iPod Touch and GPS situation after 8 months:

1) I've found that a combination of Navigon for the live navigation, and Motion-X for route tracking is a great combination. Unlike a dedicated GPS unit, the iPod/iPhone does give you the option of running more than one software package simultaneously (a big positive) or even changing for different use (boating, golfing, geo-caching, etc...)

2) Overheating is NOT an issue as long as the unit is out in the open. Once inside any kind of protective device you're hosed - yellow triangle of death. Unfortunately this means you are vulnerable to problems in bad weather.

3) You can actually control the iPod with a glove on, just not the big fat winter gloves. When wearing my leather summer riding gloves control is possible, though still takes some concentration to get the right buttons and spots.

4) The GPS cradle is the big issue, in fact the Dual XGSP251 I'm using will be the killer weak link in the whole setup.

A) when its working, the whole setup is reliable, gives accurate routing info

B) Unfortunately I've had 2 quit on me entirely (Dual has been great about replacing but not refunding)

C) I'm on unit #3 right now but am not using it day to day as I know it will fail

D) My conclusion is that its the vibration from the bars that are breaking the slider switch on the back of the cradle, that switches the unit from "GPS" to "Off" to "Battery". I'm not sure why, but the unit when not attached to 12v power but instead to USB, will only allow the unit to navigate, or to charge the battery, but not both. Symptoms lead me to believe that eventually the contacts in the switch fail, and the unit is stuck in the "off" position, meaning no GPS functionality.

5) What this means is that I'll likely give up unless anyone has a recommendation for a more reliable cradle.

Is there anybody who's been using one of these cradles (I believe Tom-Tom and Magellan have them) for more than a year without failure?

I have been using my iPhone with the TomTom app. for a while now. I bet I have used it for about 3000miles. TomTom does have all the maps data preloaded so you don't need a data connection. I have tested it out in the Smokey mountains where I would ride for hours without a cell signal at all and it kept right up with me, it worked great. The vibes have not bothered it at all since it has solid state memory, if it had a mini hard drive (with moving parts) the vibes might be a factor. I used a mount that I fabed myself but I don't think it holds the phone as good as it needs to so I bought a ram mount. I like using my iPhone as a GPS because it eliminates a device.

I have the Garmin Streetpilot app, and also tried the Co-Pilot Live demo on my recent run to Texas (granted, it was in my motorhome, which has the bed over the cab). I had difficulty with satellite lock (both apps), not to mention I would get double bong notifications at random intervals (Garmin - I went in and turned off all POI notifications, but wasn't able to get the satellite reception to see if this was the issue). It was frustrating enough that at one point, I used the pre-loaded maps app for navigation, and it worked well (other than having to scroll to the next direction each time).

I use the iphone 4, Navigon and Scala Rider G4. Tunes, cell phone and GPD audio directions all come through seemlessly. Mounted on the RAM Tank Bolt extension that one of the guys make here and a 6" RAM arm, have no problem seeing where I'm going with it. Have ridden in rain, never been a problem as I keep it behind the shield.

My iPod sits in my shirt pocket, hooked up to my ear buds. For navigating, I've got a cheapo garmin, and it works just great. Cost me 120 brand new at Wally World. Rain? I carry a little zip lock baggie on the bike. Slips over the gps, takes care of keeping it dry, and I can still read it just fine. I don't ride in the rain that often, and the GPS always goes in the saddle bag when I'm not on the bike. But that's just me, I'd rather spend my extra bucks elsewhere (and it's not on new rear tires either).

Gary

darksider #44

2 things. Natively the iPhone (and iPod Touch) don't give turn-by turn. Their screens are too small to pay attention to the road and manually step through to the next turn.

the iPod Touch requires (at least in my Gen 1) a Wifi hot spot to connect to anything. Finding reliable cell connectivity in remote places is bad enough while riding. Depending on Wifi would be worse.

It ain't weather or vibration resistant.

Get a good, weather/vibration-resistant GPS that can load maps and routes and output turns through audio and jack in your headset so you can watch where you're going.

Get a good, weather/vibration-resistant GPS that can load maps and routes and output turns through audio and jack in your headset so you can watch where you're going.
Good grief, exactly. Why go to so much effort to torture the iTouch into being a competent GPS when there are so many excellent GPS units out there for very little money? As an added bonus, the GPS will keep riding stats for you, maybe act as a voltmeter, keep an eye on weather and traffic, give you turn by turn instructions in Portugese and tell you when the fishing is going to be good.

Latest posts