Using the GenII hazard switch for other than 'hazards'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
Well, I'm finally about ready to install the solteks, and I was thinking about where to put a switch so it would be quick to flip off. Looking at that hazard switch I decided that I might be able to use it to flip a relay for the solteks. But, I'd like to know more before I start ripping it up. Does anyone know of a picture (schematic) that shows the wire colors and where they go?

I'm hoping those 2 wires have a connector on them that I don't have to cut any wires, but I can easily connect to them to a relay and power-up the lights.

Well, I'm finally about ready to install the solteks, and I was thinking about where to put a switch so it would be quick to flip off. Looking at that hazard switch I decided that I might be able to use it to flip a relay for the solteks. But, I'd like to know more before I start ripping it up. Does anyone know of a picture (schematic) that shows the wire colors and where they go?
I'm hoping those 2 wires have a connector on them that I don't have to cut any wires, but I can easily connect to them to a relay and power-up the lights.

So - 'splain to me how dats gonna work - ?? What do you have in mind?

So - 'splain to me how dats gonna work - ?? What do you have in mind?

Well, I'm hoping to use the hazard switch to run a relay to power the solteks. Nothing special like interlocking it with the standard high beam switch, just simply on/off. I'm ass-u-me-ing the hazard switch has one lead going to hot (yami fuse-box) and the other side of the switch goes to a relay with the bi-metalic switch in it. (like most turn signal relays) I'd like to take the later side of the switch, and run it to a different relay to power the solteks.

This seems to be a quick and easy way to turn those lights off at my fingertips, and I can have the bikes high beams on, along with the solteks, and as traffic is spotted on the horizon I can power-down the solteks with my right thumb, and then as the target vehicle comes closer, I can then power down bikes standard headlights to low-beams with my left thumb.

I suppose I'll put a switch on the bike somewhere so I can still use the hazards, but they aren't as important to turn off in a split second.

But, I'd like to find a schematic before I start on this.

I'm very happy with my store bough relay that simply uses the standard low-hi beam oem switch. Not sure what it's called right now, but it works great.. have you considered this type of relay?

Or, if you're open options...

How about a small (tiny) weatherproof switch wired into the "blank" for the Euro passing flasher switch. Since you are going to trigger a relay with it you wouldn't need a high voltage/amperage switch. RadioShack carries some, and once mounted you could then trigger the switch with your left index finger.

How about a small (tiny) weatherproof switch wired into the "blank" for the Euro passing flasher switch. Since you are going to trigger a relay with it you wouldn't need a high voltage/amperage switch. RadioShack carries some, and once mounted you could then trigger the switch with your left index finger.
That's what I have on mine, and it works great! Except mine's not weatherproof. You say Radio Shack has those?

That's what I have on mine, and it works great! Except mine's not weatherproof. You say Radio Shack has those?
I seem to remember they have them with the "press on" or "screw on" rubber caps which would make them waterproof (well...water resistant). If not, you might try the waterproof spray we used to use on dirt bikes (but the name escapes my aging brain) or a tiny amount of WD-40 (WD=water displacing).

Last edited by a moderator: