Vstream vs Stock on '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowcountry Joe

Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new NC VStream. Bought it from Powersports Superstore and it delivered to my door for $130.01. You never really know how a new windshield might perform, except for reviewing the experiences of many on the forum. After reading many posts, and looking at other options, I decided to give the VStream a try. Before installing it, I decided to take a couple of pics of the VS beside the stock '08 shield. Also took a pic of the stock '08 shield nested in the VS making the difference in size more apparent. Basically, the VS is 4 inches taller than the stock shield, with the width being about the same. But the VS includes more of that "width" higher-up in the top 1/3 of their product.

Here is the link for the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/joeyaferguson/VstreamPhotos#

The VS does not come with the somewhat worthless piece of thin foam that you will find attached to the stock shield. So I substituted with some soft clear plastic adhesive "pads" that I had lying around in a drawer and they worked fine as a cushion between the "W" bracket and the surface of the VS. The 7 nylon shield mounting screws came out effortlessly, and went back in the same way. Install was quick and easy.

I took the bike out for a spin, and for the first time my shoulders nor my helmet were buffeted. I didn't even have to raise the VS up all the way before it had all the air flowing over the top of my RF-1000 helmet. Riding down the road before, even with the stock shield fully extended, it allowed wind buffeting in the top 1/3 of my helmet. But now, all I hear is the engine humming without distortion from wind currents blasting over my helmet. I am also able to see over the top of the new VS. I am 5 foot 10 inches tall.

So, still lots of testing to do, but so far, I am happy with the purchase. I saw some threads with earlier (2006) VStream photos versus stock, but the differences in size of that model compared to today's model compared to today's stock was not as apparent. So I thought I would post some new '08 stuff.

LCJ

My v-stream should be here Tuesday. This will be my fourth shield: cal-sci, rifle and the yami touring shield. I hope that the v-stream should cure my buffeting woes. Additionally, all shields mentioned are good in their own right and serves it's own purpose. Many people are satisfied with these shields, maybe I'm looking for something that don't exist with this motorcycle.

Mike...

My v-stream should be here Tuesday. This will be my fourth shield: cal-sci, rifle and the yami touring shield. I hope that the v-stream should cure my buffeting woes. Additionally, all shields mentioned are good in their own right and serves it's own purpose. Many people are satisfied with these shields, maybe I'm looking for something that don't exist with this motorcycle.Mike...

Mike...I dunno know how tall you are or what you need in a shield, but I hope the VS meets your expectations with your '08. There seems to be a lot of satisfied VS owners out there, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

LCJ

My v-stream should be here Tuesday. This will be my fourth shield: cal-sci, rifle and the yami touring shield. I hope that the v-stream should cure my buffeting woes. Additionally, all shields mentioned are good in their own right and serves it's own purpose. Many people are satisfied with these shields, maybe I'm looking for something that don't exist with this motorcycle.Mike...

Mike...I dunno know how tall you are or what you need in a shield, but I hope the VS meets your expectations with your '08. There seems to be a lot of satisfied VS owners out there, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

LCJ

Just put my on last week (on 2007 AE). I love it. Definitely bigger. I don't have a problem with top of windscreen in field of view. It is definitely quieter and a lot less buffeting. It's so quiet I notice a annoying squeaking in my helmet. Maybe it's the voices.

When I got warm I would just lower it a bit and it was just like stock. I'll probably leave it on winter and summer. BTW I am 5' 11" tall with 32 inch inseam in case that helps tell you how far my head is off the seat. (They don't call me torso man for nothing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my VS a couple of weeks ago from Powersports Superstore too. Great price & fast delivery. Love it! I'm only 5' 10" but it is much quieter & much less buffetting than the stock shield & I ride with it down almost always. If I raise it all the way up it's like riding in a car! (yuck!)

Just got back from our Columbus Day Weekend getaway. My wife & I always go upstate New York on this weekend with our bike for the fall follage. We put on a couple of hundred miles this weekend & was interested in her input if there was any change to her enviorement with the Vstream. She did not notice an increase in noise or buffetting that some other pillions have reported with the Vstream. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of the 08 with the Vstream at White Lake N.Y. (a stones throw from the site of the original Woodstock Festival)

WhiteLake101208.jpg

War Machine,

Good report and glad it's working nicely for you. I rode 50 miles this afternoon at speeds only up to 80, but the VS did good. I can hear stuff in the engine and front end now that before was being masked by that darn wind buffeting with the stock shield. It will be interesting to see how it performs in the rain...some riders are saying that they dont get wet with it. Guess that result might vary. I went thru a storm the other day that was so bad that I had to put my wallet in my mouth to keep it dry!! Was using the stock shield then and got soaked.

By the way, I rode today with no ear plugs and when I got home, there was no roaring in my ears like before. If I get no other benefit than that, Im satisfied.

Nice bike pic with beautiful background. Enjoy! LCJ

How do you like the V-stream in comparison to the Yamaha touring shield? Right now that is what I am using, but when raising to max height, I get a LOT of helmet noise and some buffeting. Better than stock certainly, but still not what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feed back from everyone. My v-stream will be here on Tuesday, and am anticipating a definate change from my windshield buffeting woes.