Week One With a New FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing too, I haven't been able to ride straight home yet. I keep trying to find detours and longer ways home.
Uh-huh, you've got it bad! Tell us, do you still look at your FJR in the garage and grin knowing it's yours? I do, and I brought my '04 home in August of '03. Yep, its a disease, and I've got it, oh dang! :yahoo:

Look into a V-stream windshield when your ready to replace the stock shield. Maximizes your wind protection (more of what your use to), eliminates buffeting, and reduces windnoise. If you use to a more "touring" oriented setup, its well worth the 126 dollars from U-motors.

GreyGoose

Compared to a '78 Wing the FJR does feel like a crotch rocket with good ergos. I still have my '75 GL 1000 (# 00875) and she feels positively stoneage now! Still a very handsome bike though.
The first generation Gold Wings were nice. I was happy enough with mine for 28 years. There's a growing online community of good folks dedicated to keeping them on the road. Nakedgoldwings is a fine place to start. Alas, I'm selling the old dear. Truthfully I know it won't see much road time in competition with the FJR, and we know too well bad things happen to motorcycles when not ridden often enough.

Excellent write up, I especially liked the "FJR: stupendously powerful, stunningly civilized." part.
Changing my riding position helped a lot with the pains. Right wrist pain was alleviated by releasing the throttle spring and removing the outboard locator pins on the handlebar for a more comfortable grip. Left knee injury still bothers me after longer rides. I just stand up on the pegs occasionally to avoid being stuck in one position too long.

David
Hi neighbor! Another FJR owner living smack in the middle of one of the best kept secrets of fun motorcycle roads heaven!

Prescription strength naproxen sodium (nsaid, I think brand name is Alleve) has helped somewhat with my knee injury, but more measures need to be taken. I get a kick out of the poster who trots out a picture of ibuprofen as his favorite pain reducing accessory. Between jest and joke lie many a truth!

Funny thing too, I haven't been able to ride straight home yet. I keep trying to find detours and longer ways home.
Uh-huh, you've got it bad! Tell us, do you still look at your FJR in the garage and grin knowing it's yours? I do, and I brought my '04 home in August of '03. Yep, its a disease, and I've got it, oh dang! :yahoo:
Something like that. I'll park it on the driveway between rides sometimes and enjoy contemplating it while smoking a pipe on my front porch. Design is an interest of mine. To my eyes the FJR is a truly exceptional case of function, form, and aesthetic sensibility.

Hi neighbor! Another FJR owner living smack in the middle of one of the best kept secrets of fun motorcycle roads heaven!
Prescription strength naproxen sodium (nsaid, I think brand name is Alleve) has helped somewhat with my knee injury, but more measures need to be taken. I get a kick out of the poster who trots out a picture of ibuprofen as his favorite pain reducing accessory. Between jest and joke lie many a truth!
Naproxen sodium and ibuprofen both work pretty well for my knee pain, I keep a bottle of Excedrin for the occasoinal headaches. My favorite for the knee pain was vioxx, but it was sadly pulled from the market. The key for me is to make sure I don't stay in one position for too long.

As for the best kept secret, I think the word is getting out. The SFO organizers keep coming back for more!

David

Great post, blackarrow!

I'm about 6'4" tall and long in the torso. My 47 year-old knees ache pretty badly after a few hours on the FJR, and I can't seem to find a windscreen that solved my airflow problem. Currently, I have a Rifle windscreen that is max height and it is ok. I keep the windscreen down and it protects my torso, but my helmet is in the windstream. It's great for the summer but cold in the winter. If I raise the windscreen I get terrible buffeting -- I'd rather be cold.

Still, despite the drawbacks for my particular body, I am hooked on our beloved motorcycle. It's precise in every facet of operation -- power, handling, braking -- and I am addicted.

Welcome to the "club"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure sounds like me at first! Oh, this wind noise and buffeting - I now ride with the windshield down and head up. Converted from a HJC open face w/shield to earplugs with a Shoei RF1000. Still have to be above (kinda noisy) or below erie quiet the "bubble". Thought my forearm was going to tear during/while my hand went to sleep. The spring change and partial riding gloves nailed that.

But then I'm not as old as you. '53 :rolleyes:

Very well written review, blackarrow - thank you.

I'm currently researching/pondering a purchase of the FJR - currently trying to rundown a dealer that will let me ride one.

Update your review when you can/feel like it... thanks.

I moved the seat to the high position and it helped my knees significantly. They still hurt quite a bit after only fifty miles or so but it's not the searing pain it was initially.
and

My 47 year-old knees ache pretty badly after a few hours on the FJR

I'm 6'0" and my girlfriend is 5'7". We both had complaints about aching knees on the FJR--I'm 37, she's 30, and neither of us have 'bad knees'! Moving the seat to the high position helped, so I had a custom Bill Meyers Saddle built. We asked that they add about 1" of height to both rider and pillion seats, and what we got back was superb. They did a fantastic job with our seats, and it completely eliminated both of our complaints of knee pain. Now we can go on 600-1000 mile days without any knee discomfort at all.

Oh, and for those long trips, I built a set of PVC pipe 'highway pegs'. More like highway outriggers! I made them about 18" long, with tube big enough to go over my Skyway frame sliders. To take up the gaps and keep 'em on, I put the "cushy" side of velcro tape on the inside of the pipe, so it has some sticktion to stay on the frame slider. I found some silver Rustoleum paint that perfectly matches the silver bits of my '06 frame, PVC glued some end caps on the pips, painted them, and voila! In half an hour and for about $15 I had a pair of highway pegs that at any time I can just throw in the trash if I no longer want them. Went through Sturgis last year during the rally (totally by mistake! Didn't know it was going on then!) and got more comments on my outriggers from the Hardley crowd than anything else. :D Anyway, for the long trips this also helps significantly with knee pain.

Great write up, let the farkeling begin, and welcome to the club!! :clapping:

Get yourself some Grip Puppies. T'his is the cheapest farkle you will ever buy and they really work. Cuts down on vibs and enlarges the dia. of the grip to make it more comfortable. I would not be without them.

Welcome to the wild and crazy forum, tons of good information here.

Mac

A Hearty Welcome, BlackArrow!

It was a pleasure to read your initial commentary, and replies. Looking forward to more of the same.

Ahh, the joys of new FJR ownership. Kinda makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm going on 5 years now on my 03 purchased Fall of 02. That's a record for me, usually after 2 years I want something else. But, no the FJR is a keeper.

Granted, yes, you do have to tweak it a little to suite your individual riding style and personal preference. But that's prettyy common on any bike, me thinks.

Some advice for you:

1.) Loosen the main throttle spring, get BMW touring grips, heavier bar ends, and do the throttle body sync. It will be much smoother, I promise!!!! Oh, and the engine naturally smooths out over the first few thousand miles.

2.) Windshields. Interesting topic, a lot of advice will be given if you ask. My 03 has a different front fairing design, so I can't say it you'll have the same experience, but it should be fairly close, so here goes. The stock one just sucked, period. I'm 6'2" and wanted a quiet bubble to ride in. I first tried the Rifle Touring w/ tuning block. Nice, but not perfect! Looking for something better, I tried a Cee Baileys +4. Also nice, but too short for me so I sold it (probably would be ideal for 5'8"ish). I also did not like the distorted bend in the shield. Went back to Rifle touring for a couple of years, then tried the monster x-tall CalSci shield this spring.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FJR1300.html

This is the shitz!!!! Much quieter, smoother than anything I've tried. GET THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!

3.) Knee pain. Try the Wild Bill highway pegs (if he even makes them for an 07, I frankly do not know). Changing positions helps stretch out a little when you need it. Also stand up once in awhile. Also, I started drinking Mona-vie, one of these high anti-oxidant, glucosomine suppliment fruit drinks. Wow, no more knee popping or joint pain. It also just generally makes you feel more energized. I just got back from a 2600 mile trip without any knee pain at all (granted I have highway pegs) I'm a distributor if you want to try a sample for a few weeks.

4.) Consider the different bar adjustments you have available stock, experiment and see if you need some other solution. Yes, your bike has factory adjustable bars!

5.) Evaluate your helmet for noise and WEAR EAR PLUGS! I had a Nolan for years and thought it was a good helmet. Then got a Shoei Syncrotec and realized just how much of a POS the Nolan was.

Other little goodies like Grip puppies are an excellent idea. I personally don't feel the need with proper tuneup, heavy bar ends and BMW grips, but can see why others love 'em.

All of these items should be fairly cheap, except the shield is pricey, but worth every cent you'll pay and should last for many years.

Hmmm...that should do it for now. You may also want to consider a throttle lock (the el-cheapo Vista cruise works really well, IMO).

Then the real farkling will begin. Trunk, lights, suspension upgrades, elec cruise, heated stuff, etc....all will provide more comfort and allow you to go longer distances in comfort.

Enjoy the new bike and welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smart riders agree. Tacki grips cure long distance numbness, are cheap, and SkooterG endorses them. So does OrangevaleFJR!!!

Tacki Grips

Vista Cruise also allows a right hand break. My '05 caused numbness in my right hand when I first bought it. Tacki fixed it. Vista cruise is the next best low hanging fruit (low cost and tastes good).

Vista Cruise