What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built this: (I'll clean up my crappy welds and paint it tomorrow)
1.JPG
2.JPG

Nice work!

But... have you been following any of the rear sub-frame cracking threads? Your new rack, which I assume is intended to support some sort of a good sized soft tail bag, will place all of the weight of the bag solely on that weak rear subframe with no added support beyond the stock plastic grab-rails.

Sorry to be such a downer. Maybe you'll just be carrying feather pillows and marshmallows on there?

Built this: (I'll clean up my crappy welds and paint it tomorrow)
1.JPG
2.JPG

Nice work!

But... have you been following any of the rear sub-frame cracking threads? Your new rack, which I assume is intended to support some sort of a good sized soft tail bag, will place all of the weight of the bag solely on that weak rear subframe with no added support beyond the stock plastic grab-rails.

Sorry to be such a downer. Maybe you'll just be carrying feather pillows and marshmallows on there?
I'm afraid that I was thinking the same thing. It looks very nice and I wish I had some welding skills. Before you paint it take a look at the Givi SR357 rack that has additional mounting points under the back seat. You can probably add a couple of pieces to replicate that and gain a lot of strength. I have been using the Gen 1 version of that rack with a top box and have carried a lot of stuff back there as well as a pillion leaning on it and it works well.

Yesterday- New PR3's mounted, cleaned up calipers and slide pins, oil change, final drive oil change, fork oil change, brake fluid change, clutch fluid change, throttle body sync. Now time to ride today

(Edit: oh ya; forgot- washed and polished it up to. Looked like hell from riding in the rain to and from work all last week. Think I might run that ABS diagnostic test pretty soon that IonBeam did such a nice write up on too)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really just wanted a place to set my helmet when im zipping my jacket ;)

AND...

It got me out of the house, and into my garage for 8 hours yesterday and only cost $12 (had the beer, mig wire, cutoff wheels, and paint already and didn't want them to go bad, as such...they are not included in the 12 bucks...

I looked at the yamaha site, at the Shad33... as I can't find an actual load figure for the "faux" rack, that's on there from the factory (probably not meant to be used..it just looked like a rack til i got it home and realized it's not)... using "Yamaha math", they allow 12 lbs to be bolted to the subframe.(2lb mount, 4.4lb box, 6.6lb allowed load in that box)

..my rack weighs 2lb12oz...so, 9lb, 4oz... should be my safe, everyday,working load limit. right?

I placed my rack as far forward as I could (thats why the funky standoffs) in the hopes of reducing leverage on that aluminum bit it bolts to.

Fingers crossed ;)

Thanks for lookin out for me :)

Nice, I likes it! Tig or Mig? I just started my tig and mig course at the local High school.
Dave
FCAW with a 120volt MIG... my lack of skill and that method are why the ugly welds... even on clean new steel...on metal this light, i just cant get the nice bead i can with GMAW

I'd like to use gas but between the lease cost for a tank and the little bit of welding i do... I don't know that it would be worth it.

The flux wire works great for me on the heavier stuff though (built a front loader for my gt last summer clicky )

Cleaned up the ugly welds and painted the new helmet holder.

2 things...

1. The Rustoleum Cobalt Blue is not a really good match. Looks good in the dark and from some angles.. but straight on in bright light they are two different colors.

2. With the Feej on the kickstand, the helmet sildes right off.. the paint is too slippery.

So.. I'm thinking maybe some truck bedliner would be a better finish...

3.JPG
4.JPG

What did you need to replace in the pump? My 'strom has started to mark its territory with antifreeze when parked.
Replaced all these parts:
photoapr13072359.jpg

But these are really the culprits:
photoapr13072703.jpg

The part with the white center, Yamaha calls it a damper, mounts on the impeller shaft. The other part, the mechanical seal, is pressed into the case. It has a spring in it that keeps the two parts pressed together, creating a seal.

The other parts are an o-ring that goes around the part of the pump that fits into the side of the motor, a seal for the two pump halves, a crush seal for the drain bolt, new snap ring, a new bearing and oil seal.

It's probably not necessary to replace the bearing and oil seal if you can get the mechanical seal out by itself, I couldn't. I had to drive the bearing out, pushing the oil seal and the mechanical seal along the way.

Rode to work today, 32 degrees still. WTH happened to spring weather?

I was getting signs of anti freeze dripping a couple of years ago. A few little drips overnight. I never did anything but it stopped after a while. Last year I did the down and dirty coolant change. Still good no dripping. Not sure what caused it. Anyway it magically fixed itself.

Good 2 go.

Dave

After having the harness sitting in my garage since Oct. of '11- I figured I better get off my but and install Brody's grounding harness. Man that one near the battery was the hardest to find. Now I'm going to enjoy the Tootsie Roll he included in the kit- (think its still good?!?). Who cares- eating it anyway as I feel I have earned it. None of them were very corroded, or showed any type of visual evidence of heat damage. Still feels good to get 'er done though

757A92D6-04A3-47C7-A358-9067FFA51406-4014-000001E5F8368502.jpg

Rode to work today, 32 degrees still. WTH happened to spring weather?
I was getting signs of anti freeze dripping a couple of years ago. A few little drips overnight. I never did anything but it stopped after a while. Last year I did the down and dirty coolant change. Still good no dripping. Not sure what caused it. Anyway it magically fixed itself.

Good 2 go.

Dave
You may want to take another look at that.

If it was leaking and stopped, it probably crusted over but if you let it go it will corrode all around the fitting ect....

Also you wouldn't want it to start leaking again on a long trip.

Cleaned up the ugly welds and painted the new helmet holder.2 things...

1. The Rustoleum Cobalt Blue is not a really good match. Looks good in the dark and from some angles.. but straight on in bright light they are two different colors.

2. With the Feej on the kickstand, the helmet sildes right off.. the paint is too slippery.

So.. I'm thinking maybe some truck bedliner would be a better finish...

3.JPG
4.JPG
That really looks sharp. Great looking welds to boot. By the way, stop by a ski shop and buy some non-skid tape, the kind used on skateboards. Cut into thin strips and put on. This way you still get to enjoy the pretty-darn-close paint job and your lid won't slide off.

After having the harness sitting in my garage since Oct. of '11- I figured I better get off my but and install Brody's grounding harness. Man that one near the battery was the hardest to find. Now I'm going to enjoy the Tootsie Roll he included in the kit- (think its still good?!?). Who cares- eating it anyway as I feel I have earned it. None of them were very corroded, or showed any type of visual evidence of heat damage. Still feels good to get 'er done though

757A92D6-04A3-47C7-A358-9067FFA51406-4014-000001E5F8368502.jpg
Yes, I enjoyed my Tootsie Roll.

Thanks Brodie! Nothing like peace of mind on those long rides.

Couldnt deal with the color difference...in the sun it was crazy bad... so I went flat black... Much Better... matched the cases and seat.

TripperMike... I went looking for Bat handle tape, tennis racket tape, or the like... didnt find anything that i liked.

And I'm afraid to use the gritty stair tread stuff as it could scratch things.

Is the ski/skateboard stuff a mineral type grip surface, or rubbery?

Thanks for the tip :)

6.JPG

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1059724" data-time="1366040584"><p>

Rode to work today, 32 degrees still. WTH happened to spring weather? <br />

<br />

I was getting signs of anti freeze dripping a couple of years ago. A few little drips overnight. I never did anything but it stopped after a while. Last year I did the down and dirty coolant change. Still good no dripping. Not sure what caused it. Anyway it magically fixed itself.<br />

<br />

Good 2 go.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

Damn Dave, you ain't kidding; rode to work in Waltham today- c-c-cold ride in. Hands need some protection. Too lazy to put the hand guards back on though. Think a better choice of gloves is in order tomorrow-

TripperMike... I went looking for Bat handle tape, tennis racket tape, or the like... didnt find anything that i liked.
TripperMike....try ten-speed bar tape...should be able to find some cloth tape at the bicycle shop.

As for my FJR....I have an appointment at Traxxion Dynamics on Friday
aikido.gif

Damn Dave, you ain't kidding; rode to work in Waltham today- c-c-cold ride in. Hands need some protection. Too lazy to put the hand guards back on though. Think a better choice of gloves is in order tomorrow-
Yep, Still wearing the winter gloves in the morning. Rode again today but think it was slightly warmer. After doing all the maintenence last Saturday the black widow is purring like a kitten. Still gotta go through the shocks though. Read the manual again today.

Anyone herd from Odie? Hope all is O.K. with the youngen.