What did you learn this year (2008)?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
We did this last year and I wonder if people would be up for it again this year . . .

In the spirit of the holidays and friendship, what did you learn this year, or learn about yourself this year, as a result of riding, hanging with riders, or anything else to do with motorcycling. I'll start . . .

Everyone I know who rides can say this. I made some wonderful friends this year as a result of being certified to teach Lee Parks Total Control. One man, a guy named Hal, has become a life friend. We've done long rides together. Our wives get along like a house on fire. Just as cool, he fit right in with another riding pal who I've known 30 years. We have to force ourselves away from the table to get back on our bikes. What a blessing.

I struggled throughout the year with first arthritis in my neck and then vertigo. There were long stretches where I thought I might not be able to ride again. I finally had to sell my beloved Aprilia RSV as it was too punishing to ride, but I've gotten my self sorted and am back riding and loving everything about riding that I loved before but with the fervor of a convert. A good signal to take better care of myself, I thought I did, and to be grateful for small things.

I learned that the American (and Canadian) West is an amazing place to ride. I've done all my riding out here and haven't come close to seeing it all or being bored by it.

I did my first long solo ride, from Seattle to Tubac Arizona and then back. What an amazing experience. Riding alone at the leading edge of a wicked storm in the high desert really brings your attention into the moment! That sense of total presence is something that gets me back on a bike again and again.

I learned painfully that performance tires have wear dates. If your sport bike tires are older than two years, think seriously about replacing them (check the four digit code on the side of your tires: First two are the week of the year, second two are the year the tire was made).

I learned that the world is full of people who are ready and willing to help a solo motorcycle rider in need of help or even just a kind word. My rides this year have been filled with small and large gestures from folks who took an interest in who I was, where I was going, and what they could do to speed me on my way.

Cheers to all of you

C56/Kevin/www.midliferider.

I learned that when you are broken-down on your FJR, 3000 miles from home, that there are a lot of great men and women on this Forum who will go to any length to help you get back home (or to NAFO). Thanks again to the 18 of you who helped physically, or through your supporting phone calls, E-mails, and posts when I was down. And thanks especially to FJR eh, who took off from work to help me in and out of Vancouver, B.C. He didn't even mind when I stole his tie-down straps! Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned that I need to get out west more often. Damn, the Bad Lands are sweet, so is most of CO and around Yellowstone.

I learned that full coverage insurance is a good thing, especially when you wreck 3500 miles from home (not me, but someone with me). Because of that I learned that there are good people out there, one who trailered said wrecked buy from Custer SD, to Cincinnati, OH for a nominal fee.

I learned during the same trip, that antiperspirant applied properly to the nether regions, helps keep the boys dry and cozy in the 100 degree days.

I learned that indeed, Kansas Sucks, oh my it sucks.

I learned that most cops are cool, but there is one in Monroe, Ohio who is a compete ass-hat. (I'll leave it at that).

I learned that having the right motorcycle makes all the difference.

I learned that I can do 10 hour days on the FJR and not be miserable.

I learned that it's ok to take my wife on 1 or 2 hour rides but going out to California and back is way too much for her.

I learned that for me life is better on an FJR 1300....

I learned (again) the pain in losing a friend majorly sucks! However, in this experience, I also learned that making and having other friends with whom one can commiserate and experience catharsis is a very good thing.

Each life is a precious gift to the one who is living it and to those with whom they share themselves. Live your life with no regrets, keep your lists short, hug your loved ones, experience all you can of the beauty that surrounds us and the kindred souls you will find on your journeys here.

This year I learned that everything is better with a motorcycle. And that companionship with a best friend while riding can bring healing.

This year I learned what farkling is.

This year I learned that FJR's are an addiction, not a motorcycle.

And most importantly, I learned where babies *really* come from. :eek:hno-smiley02: :drinks:

I learned that motorcycles are very heavy 'specially when they are on your foot.

I learned how to walk with crutches.

I learned that, in Georgia, full coverage insurance does not cover medical bills for passengers.

I learned that four hours in the seat of a VFR is about equivalent to a full on asskicking.

I learned how to lift my bike the correct way without pulling my back out.

I also learned I can't repair small scratches like I thought I could.

I learned that Colorado looks better from a motorcycle.

I learned that "stupid" hurts...and that these FJR riders we ride with are great guys...and help at the drop of a hat...or bike. :clapping:

I also learned that great guys you figured would be around for a good long time can be gone in an instant. :(

In 2008 I learned to trust what skills I do have (which makes me want to aquire more of them), and just enjoy riding.

Also, to trust my tires (and stop worrying so much).

Practice not only is fun, but it takes theory and turns it into (hopefully) good habits!

Murphy's tire lube residue can cause the rear tire to slip on the rim if not cleaned off prior to seating the bead.

The low current ignition switch contacts if intermittent, will allow the the bike to happily crank away but not start and sometimes set a diag code 19, leading you to bark up the wrong tree.

I couldn't use this bike as a commuter vehicle if I wanted to keep my drivers license. ;)

Buy and hold's a farce, you need an exit plan, period.

I learned that sticky strings work at 15f. With a 40mph wind out of the north. And that a modified Wal-mart air pump doesn't generate nearly as much heat as you might hope under those circumstances.

What did you learn this year (2008)?
I learned that it can be rather cathartic to listen to a dead man's voice mail message and leave him one last message, just in case he's listening.

I learned "stay right" can save your life. thanks again Toecutter.
And I learned it's sometimes worth it to "stay on the right" soapbox. You're welcome.

Now you all run out and get some Cycleport gear....

I got a few scratches in my new '08 FJR this year. Normally, I would be freakin' out and pissed off :angry2: . This year, however, I learned to not sweat the small stuff. Life goes by too quick to blow a bunch of brain cells worrying about small sh:t! I've always been very anal and a binary, 1 or 0 kind of guy (yes I'm also a computer programmer) with a very real need for perfection in my life. This year I thumbed my nose to this and now appreciate the mystery and serendipity to life! I think the change started when I was in Mexico for vacation and noticed the less fortunate and how they were quite happy people. It made me realize life is not about things, but about people. Bringing this back to motorcycling, we all enjoy our passion more when we can share our passions with others who have the same passion!

Props to the board and the FJR and the greater motorcycle community!

Merry Christmas all! :clapping:

I learned how much the kindness of strangers from a motorcycle forum can carry you when things get really tough.

I learned how much the words "I love you Dad" truly mean....