What did you learn this year (2008)?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned so much sh#$%T on this forum about FJR's I won't begin to mention it all. I learned that people who ride this bike and belong to this forum are some of the best people to get to know. They love this sport and are willing to help those in need at the drop of a hat. I have been fortunate sofar but i know if i ever need help it will be there.

Kudos to all, and MERRY CHRISTMASS :clapping:

OH YEH!!!! One more thing, I learned never ever say anything even remotely close about politic's!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned that a solo 3 week 7100 mile cross country trip was not long enough or far enough or my last big trip. :rolleyes:

In keeping my 2008 learnings motorcycle related.........

I learned that there are a lot of good things on this forum,some of those things cost me a lot of money,they were worth it!

I learned that the ones that cost little or nothing were worth it too!

I learned that the more I ride my FJR the more I like it .

I learned that the objectionable handlebar vibration can be reduced, not eliminated (yet) or I'm just getting used to it.

I learned that Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires are much better handling and wear much better than Metzlers.

I learned that one should not park a top heavy motorcycle on its centerstand on uneven ground

I learned that if one does park a top heavy motorcycle on uneven ground, one should get help taking it off the center stand!

I learned that if one parks a top heavy motorcycle on uneven ground....it should not be close to objects that don't move!

I learned that taking a motorcycle off it's centerstand, on uneven ground, parked next to solid objects, can cause bodily injury.

I learned that a week long ride with a good friend is a blast...even if the weather sucks!

I learned that the fancy black Porsche on the long onramp didn't stand a chance as the FJR blew him off, BAM/GONE!

I learned that riding a motorcycle for 5 months & 8,000 miles after bodily injury is somewhat painful.

I learned that shoulder surgery takes a long time to recoup from.

I'm looking forward to another year of learning! :)

I learned that you can ride the FJR to Grandma's house or RIDE the FJR. Thanks to all at the EOM for the instructions. It was the best time I have had for awhile.

I learned that when a man loses his son in a war, it really bothers me and I have no words.

I have learned that this collective group known as the "FJR Forum" are capable of solving almost any problem.

Let's vow to keep the bike off the ground, and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Art

I learned I can ride 1000 miles in 19 hours with three guys I had nevver met before. The fantastic four rules.

I learned the best riding partner I could ever have is my wife.

At NAFO I learned the difference between a T-Shirt and a Towel.

I learned that some of you folk are smart! :clapping:

I learned that some of you folk are smart asses! <_<

Can we be both? Or is it one or the other?

And what about the dumbasses? They're going to get a bit lonely - you not including them and all.

Can we be both? Or is it one or the other?

And what about the dumbasses? They're going to get a bit lonely - you not including them and all.

There ! see see see I told ya! Discuss

The dumbasses can get their own thread too.

I learned that having a doctor stick a long tool up your butt can save your life.

I learned that "Alzheimers is almost harder on the family and caregivers than the victim" is no cliche'.

I learned that when you say goodbye to a good friend, mean it, because it may be the last time you get to say it.

I learned that life is increasingly fickle and death entirely indiscriminate.

I'm trying to learn not to be overly morose.

I've learned to budget more time for just living life, enjoying myself and the company of friends, family and loved ones, and that sharing our motorcycle passions and joys and experiences is one of the best ways of doing this.

I've learned that work and its rewards don't matter nearly as much as they used to.

I've learned that I am one of the most blessed people on this planet today, filthy rich in almost ever respect, with the notable exception of material wealth, which is over-rated.

I've learned that the Creator knew what he was doing when he made this planet, and that we don't know squat when it comes to taking care of it, though we haven't yet ruined it all.

I've learned that slower can be better, but fast is still a helluva lot of fun.

I've learned that I'm not done learning; that I know a lot less than I thought I did.

Edit: Looking back at the original post, I realize I should have kept this more on-topic; more moto-centric, so to speak. But I think we're all fairly familiar with, and accepting of, motorcycling as a metaphor for life (Zen etc.) so I guess maybe we can accept life as a metaphor for motorcycling.

I have learned that reading this forum can save your butt when your ignition dies in the middle of nowhere eastern Montana.

I have learned that most of the folks on this forum are damn fine folks.

I have learned that shoveling snow sucks!

I didn't learn a damn thing. I think i'm dumber. :eek: (
Me too- I wasn't watching my six while waiting to make a left and got tapped by a dizzy blonde on a cell. First contact with a car in 30 years. No damage to the FJR [she hit the tire] but the front valance fell off her Honda.. I put on a Back Off and will never again not watch my arse.

I learned standing up on the pegs at 65mph while windy and makes everybody notice you, lets the blood flow back to your ass.

I learned that border crossing guards have NO SENSE OF HUMOUR. NONE.

I learned to make staying right a reflex action with oncoming traffic.

I learned that riders of every brand 'understand', even douche-nozzle squids. Some understand far more than others from experience.

I learned that once again I like LD riding after years of avoiding it.

I learned that their are some amazing smooth riders out there.

I was reminded that friends are taken from us without warning.

I was reminded that their is no elegant way to sneeze in a helmet.

I learned that a good sign your passenger is about to fall asleep is when they head butt you over every bump.

I learned that local cagers, after years of thinking they didn't drive overly bad, are in fact raging inconsiderate assholes and only my perception changed.

I learned that I can't wait to be reminded of all these things once again next spring!

I learned:

Just because it LOOKS like an old man's bike, doesn't mean it RUNS like an old man!

There are so many more interesting roads out there past the usual 200 mile rides I was accustomed too.

That it's the trip there that makes the experience!

And finally.......NO ONE appreciates a good pair of Christmas Pants!!!

Yes, I'm replying to my own message.

I was reminded that friends are taken from us without warning.
A few years ago I met a guy by the name of Mike Rouleau. A bike guy through and through. At the time, he had a HD Bagger, and a Hayabusa. Over the years and miles, I got to know Mike quite a bit better. Soft spoken and thoughtful, he lived and breathed bikes. How his wife put up with his indulgences I'll never understand. Over the last few years, he sold the Hayabusa and bought a pro-street chopper, and a Redneck Buell (google it) - selling that and buying a Ulyssess, as well as selling his Bagger for a newer bagger with a trailer.

He and his wife toured Canada and the U.S. extensively. In fact, he was instrumental in my attending EOM. I wanted to go, but after hearing him rave about the roads and the scenery, it provided me the motivation to make arrangements and get my ass down there. When I returned, he listened, quietly, while I raved about the time I had in WV. He spent 2 weeks in WV just this past summer.

Mike was taken from us last night in a head on collision during a snowstorm on his way to work.

He was the real deal. Nobody spoke ill of Mike. Ever. Nor did he. One of those truly spectacular individuals that everybody makes time to talk to. People like him are few and far between. He leaves behind his wife Ginger and two sons.

Once again I'm reminded that truly great people are taken from without warning. This holiday, give that little extra effort to show how much you love the people you care about.