What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

• Gen 3 (same as 2013, 2014, and 2015)

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Gen 3.5 (the chassis and engine are the same, but signficant upgrades)

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Gen 4 (a 6th gear, slipper clutch, and LED lights are enough to make it a new generation)

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gen 5 (Yamaha Motor UK had it right, we've been doing it wrong for years)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
With the 2016 model there was significant discussion on whether the new bike should be considered a continuation of the Generation 3 motorcycles started in 2013, there were enough new features (i.e. LED lights, slipper clutch, 6th gear, etc) that we should call it a Generation 4, or that the chassis, engine, and mounting points remain the same but with all the new features it's in-between model change and call it Generation 3.5. And one person found a quote that Yamaha in UK thinks it's Generation 5 (which would totally mess everything up, but I can't not offer it).

I was going to try a straw poll at TechWest session in Prosser last fall, but that didn't happen. So, let's try a poll here. What say the FJRForum community? Vote on one....or don't vote.

Poll results will be tallied Friday, June 30th, 2017 and if a majority exists for one particular designation--I'll update the designator accordingly on the FJR year choice we each have on the left. I've left 2016 blank to this point, but think it's time we decide as a community. If a plurality ends up happening...well...I might try a run-off poll.

Be forewarned that off-topic posts that aren't directly focused on subject-at-hand will be toasted. Please...stick...to...the...subject. Thank you for your contributions to the FJR community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think Gen 3.5 since the overall cosmetic design remains the same.

In the automotive world, tail lights, headlights, bumpers are often refreshed mid-cycle but it's not considered a new generation.

Example - 2nd generation Lexus RX SUV was from 2004 to 2009. First 3 years were RX330 (3.3L engine) last 3 years were RX350 (3.5L engine).

As in previous polls we can go back and change our vote if the discussions are persuasive enough to alter ones opinion?

Dave

Guy's (and Gals)....new tranny, new clutch design, revised body work, revised instrumentation, etc all point to the '16 being a NEW GENERATION. That is all.
bike.gif

While the 6th gear and slipper clutch are fairly significant the overall engine, chassis and much bodywork remained. If I'm not mistaken most farkles can interchange from 2013 on so I consider it to be a Gen 3.5.

IMHO a generation change takes place when there is enough change to limit or stop the ability to interchange parts from the preceding model year.

I like the idea/concept of a 3.5 Gen. and all in all it's probably the most accurate, but if one starts going down the road that why not a 3.75 the next time Yamaha tweaks something(s) minor but keeps the rest the same? Gets too muddled. If there are enough changes to move it from one generation to another, best to keep it simple and go while whole numbers rather than fractional. So I voted for Gen. 4.

I voted 3.5 although I have been calling my 2014ES a GEN 3.5 since I bought it, and after riding a 2016A didn't see much difference between it and my 2013A, so I think the real difference isn't the 6th gear, its whether its a "A" or a "ES" model.

2013 was a MAJOR upgrade.

2014 has higher CC and the ES model showed up.

2015 was paint.

2016 got the 6 speed (in the same space) and slipper (in the same space) and LEDs.

2017 was paint.

I think Mama Yama has a lot of ideas and is slowly showing them to the public.... in order to maintain sales. They are all Gen 3 to me. (just improved).

One way to keep the Gens straight is if each year is considered its own model and we just ditch the whole "generation" thing. But then what would we have to argue about? :lol:

FWIW I see the latest ones as Gen 3 or 3.5. I mean heck, my 2014 has the slipper assist clutch and it could have the LED lights if I won the lottery this weekend.

If the only difference had been the 6 speed I would have suggested naming the newest bikes as Gen 2.9 since having to shift more often would just be a PITA to me. ;)

Is there a 2017 FJR1300A?

I ask because on Yamaha's parts site there is no listing for the A. There is a listing for a 2017 ES.

Apparently not in the US. But they are still making them in other regions of the world, just not bringing them here.

Kind'a like it's impossible to buy a BMW 3 series car with X-drive and a manually shifted transmission (since 2011). The "US marketing team" decides what to import, and they know what people want because they went to 4 years of business school
rolleyes.gif
Ultimate driving machine? Sheesh!

It's a Gen 5 (or 4.5 if you are picky) The bike was available elsewhere and America didn't get it until Gen 2, I'm sure most of you know this, so why do you insist on ignoring the first generation just because it wasn't available in US?

Makes no sense to me to be a 1/2 gen. It's either a 3rd or a 4th gen. Then again there are 1/2 ass people so I could be wrong. I still say 3 or 4 and I am in the 3 camp. I don't ever expect to own one unless my 2015 meets its demise.

Dave

It's a Gen 5 (or 4.5 if you are picky) The bike was available elsewhere and America didn't get it until Gen 2, I'm sure most of you know this, so why do you insist on ignoring the first generation just because it wasn't available in US?
Then how exactly is the 2001 (World Model Scheme) then different than the 2002-2005 (again World Model Scheme)? Do you have an online source for this generation designation?

Thanks in advance.

Then how exactly is the 2001 (World Model Scheme) then different than the 2002-2005 (again World Model Scheme)? Do you have an online source for this generation designation?
Thanks in advance.
The 2001 model (for Europe) was quickly superseded at end of 2002 (what you guys call a 2003 MY I believe?) this 2nd gen model with integrated flashers for example was I believe the 1st bike you were offered en masse? Then 2006/7 is 3rd gen in eu, and 2013 4th, the only reason I know all this is the confusion when it comes to parts and farkles, so I did a bit of reasearch, my post was a friendly jibe, when I hear you guys talking about say a Gen 3 I know you are talking about a 2013 model but on a UK forum its referred to as a Gen 4.
Anyway there is some details in the links below.

In the first one the quote from Yamaha EU marketing head who says, 'after these two years we listened and mad improvements'

First test of Gen 2 dated sept 2002 https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/sport-touring/index.aspx?segment=Sport%20Touring&view=article&id=441329

Model History until 2012

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/sport-touring/index.aspx?view=article&id=442654

That helps the puzzle a bit and add documentation in case people want to go with Gen 5 in the vote. The bit from Yamaha, although I think they're reaching personally that gloveboxes and integrated signals, constitute a Gen, makes a bit more sense. Thanks!

I voted for the Gen IV V designation. I believe the mechanical changes that were made supersedes the cosmetic changes that were made between '05 and '06. Sure parts of the frame changed as well, but it added nothing significant IMO. And what was the big change between '12 and '13? More cosmetic and some electrical gizmos, but many parts were still interchangeable with the previous generation. Well there were some gear ratios tweeked as well. I just feel a heckuva lot of engineering went into changing post '15 models. Slipper clutch, 6th gear and lets not forget the new cut on the gears that makes shifting that much smoother. IMH(andsometimesmisinformed)O

Awesome! I've already got a Gen IV bike.
punk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.