What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

• Gen 3 (same as 2013, 2014, and 2015)

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Gen 3.5 (the chassis and engine are the same, but signficant upgrades)

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Gen 4 (a 6th gear, slipper clutch, and LED lights are enough to make it a new generation)

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gen 5 (Yamaha Motor UK had it right, we've been doing it wrong for years)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the 2001/2 world any different than the 2003 was in North America? The 2003-5 world looks the same as the 2004/5 was in the US.

We have never differentiated between these minor changes in the past and just called them all 1st Gens. The only major difference was the increased brake size and availability of ABS. The turn signals and glove box are pretty small changes. And we've always understood that the early 1st Gens were a little bit quicker than any later years.

So, if we aren't willing to go with fractional changes then the latest model years are just Gen 3s.

Was the 2001/2 world any different than the 2003 was in North America? The 2003-5 world looks the same as the 2004/5 was in the US.
We have never differentiated between these minor changes in the past and just called them all 1st Gens. The only major difference was the increased brake size and availability of ABS. The turn signals and glove box are pretty small changes. And we've always understood that the early 1st Gens were a little bit quicker than any later years.

So, if we aren't willing to go with fractional changes then the latest model years are just Gen 3s.
I agree the changes between 01 and 03 are small, but if Yamaha (EU) say it's a new Gen, then who are we to argue?

When Yamaha published the factory service manuals for the first Gens there was one manual covering the initial model including the US 2003, and they only created an addendum for the updated 04-05 with optional ABS. That tells me they are all the same generation bike.

When Yamaha published the factory service manuals for the first Gens there was one manual covering the initial model including the US 2003, and they only created an addendum for the updated 04-05 with optional ABS. That tells me they are all the same generation bike.
Ok then, yamaha EU (part of the company who make the things) say 2003 model was second Gen but some guy on the internet disagrees...now who do I believe?

Ok then, yamaha EU (part of the company who make the things) say 2003 model was second Gen but some guy on the internet disagrees...now who do I believe?
Simple for me. It's a marketing part of a company with promotional material suggesting more generations and the technical side of the company (which this forum is more geared and thank you FredW for pointing out) towards less generations. It's still a 3.5 or 4 thing for me.

If you really want to see what a 2001 EUR looks like in real life all you have to do is come June 17 to the WNY Tech day kindly hosted by WNYFJR (MIke), right lads? :)

Well, you could do what Apple does whenever they introduce an incremental update to the iPhone...stick an S on the end, such as my current iPhone 6S! So the '16 and '17 models would be the Gen IIIS.

Joking aside, I voted for Gen 3.5; when a '15 and '16 are parked next to each other, the only obvious way to tell the difference is the paint color. Other than that, they look identical to me. Sure, if you're paying close attention to detail you might notice the LED lights...but you'd never notice the slipper clutch or 6th gear. But when a '12 and '13 are parked next to each other, they look so dramatically different, it's easy to tell that it's a whole new generation. So in my humble and not so wise opinion, there's not enough difference between the '15s and '16s to justify a whole new generation mark.

I voted GEN 4 just because I wanted to own the latest version and that's the one I have.
punk.gif

Gen 4 gets my vote. That's what I called it when it first hit these pages, though many disagreed. One thing I definitely don't want to do is simply call it a gen 3 and leave it at that. It's not just a facelift or a couple minor improvements. The brand new clutch and trannie mandate a new Gen number in my mind. If it were just the LED lights, or maybe just the clutch, fine, maybe I'd stick with 3.5 or maybe 3. But that trainee is a game changer; and all three improvements together add up to Gen 4.

Really glad you started this poll, Iggie.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
GenIIIss (sixth speed)

only logical choice until there's a major engine and fairing upgrade.

kieefjr posted: GenIIIss (sixth speed) only logical choice until there's a major engine and fairing upgrade.
What's logic got to do with it?
coolsmiley02.gif
It's all opinion, and -- let me be clear about this -- I voted Gen4.

"I would say that it is Gen 42, but I'm not sure it has quite finished evolving". - Deep Thought

kieefjr posted: GenIIIss (sixth speed) only logical choice until there's a major engine and fairing upgrade.
What's logic got to do with it?
coolsmiley02.gif
It's all opinion, and -- let me be clear about this -- I voted Gen4.
You really don't want me to logically explain this but I will anyway.

It seems to me until the fairing is redesigned (where generational changes began) or the motor has experienced a major re-design, NOT a simple tranny mod like the sixth speed addition that could have been done at anytime that these recent changes aren't much different than adding electronic suspension, ABS or CC in previous models.

Calling recent upgrades a Gen4, 3.5, 5 would be like calling the automatic model a new generation change, or the ES option a generational change, makes no sense to me but who am I? I'm certainly not one who fits into this forum so call it what Iggy wants.
bye.gif

I'm calling it a GenIIIss if you have the six-speed.
fuck.gif

Is my bike a Gen 2 YCCS, or a 2.5 since it's an '08, or what?

It seems to me that the major bodywork change as well as the major tech upgrades constitute a Gen 3 designation. You put a '05 next to a '06 and you have a generational change. You put a '12 next to a '13 and you have a generational change. You put a '13 next to a '17 and they look very similar. Gen 3 AS, or Gen 3 A works for me. I don't see the decimal point having a factor here. Just call it a '16 Gen 3 and be done with it.

Hopefully Yamaha will continue this bike for many years to come, so we can continue this argument for many years to come.

JMHO

Brodie

tomato.gif

I was looking at the "Yamaha Design Cafe" web site,(at yamaha-motor.eu) and noticed they are calling the 2016 the fifth generation.(FWIW, YMMV)
Regardless they have some interesting info on the FJR. I especially like the original article on the development of the FJR, and the article that shows all colors from 2001-2012.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/index.aspx?view=article&id=647622

In Europe we tend to use tha Yamaha Starting code of the VIN to identify 'model' or generation. When applying that logic, each introduction of a new RP code to the market could be considered a new generation (you would now be up to GEN8!)

But this would set the AE and ES apart from the A model as a separate generation. If you would consider that one generation, then you would also not consider the A model to be a new generation after the orginal non-A version...

So with that exception: each Model code change from Yamaha for a model with the same ' name' may be called a new generation... That means that you are now in GEN4 (or if you consider the A model to be the next gen after the non-A, actually on GEN5)

From Year Name Type code GEN

2003 FJR 1300 RP07 > GEN1

2004 FJR 1300 A RP09 > GEN1

2006 FJR 1300 A RP15 > GEN2

2006 FJR 1300 AE RP16 > GEN2

2013 FJR 1300 A RP24 > GEN3

2014 FJR 1300 ES RP26 > GEN3

2016 FJR 1300 A RP29 > GEN4

2016 FJR 1300 ES RP30 > GEN4

I can't see why anyone hasn't figured this out yet. I now designate my 2015 bike to be a 3.5 FJR. All those that have a 6 speed can call there FJR's a 3.6. Doesn't that make a whole lot more sense. Geeeeeeeezzzzzzz!

Have a great day.

Dave

I'm calling mine a Gen '14 ES 49.

2014 ES 49 states version.

That is so specific it even tells you what color it is. ;)

Why is it important that we have generations?

I have called it a Gen 4 since it was introduced, and was called out for that by Ignacio. Nevertheless, I stick with my first call and the current bikes are Gen 4; however all FJRs are evolutionary and the lines between generations may be blurry to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.