What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs? (Run-Off)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

• Gen 3.5

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 54 74.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must go with voting gen 4 due to all the changes/upgrades done to our FJR.

I owned the '03 and '07 FJRs and saw the advances over the gen 3s, so I held out to score on getting the '17 FJR. I can justify paying the higher $$$ for the '17 because of all advances. If I wanted to add all these farkles to a gen 3, my price tag would be close to or more that the '17 price tag.

My favorite features on the '17 are the "real" cruise control and shock adjusting on the fly when approaching the twisties or slabbing it. Another feature is switching from 2 riders to 1 rider when the passenger falls off.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite features on the '17 are the "real" cruise control and shock adjusting on the fly when approaching the twisties or slabbing it. Another feature is switching from 2 riders to 1 rider when the passenger falls off.
rolleyes.gif
I would note that those particular features have been available since '14....only one year after the Gen 3 was introduced. They were not new or unique to '16 or '17.

4, the transmission and lighting are significant upgrades in my mind. NEPRT candidate though.

Looking at the specs between the 2015 and 2016 I have to go with 3.5. To me lighting is nice, but not worthy of noting it as a generation upgrade. I guess the extra gear would qualify as something, but again, not a generation upgrade. Does anyone know someone on the inside with Yamaha? What do they call the 2016+s?

Last day to vote tomorrow. The margin is about 3:1 for Gen 4. While this isn't my personal choice I will abide by the majority and will likely be updating the compatibility matrix and forum descriptors in the coming week as a result. No sour grapes for me. The forum is close to speaking.

So, get your vote in if you haven't yet. And thanks for participating!

Looking at the specs between the 2015 and 2016 I have to go with 3.5. To me lighting is nice, but not worthy of noting it as a generation upgrade. I guess the extra gear would qualify as something, but again, not a generation upgrade. Does anyone know someone on the inside with Yamaha? What do they call the 2016+s?
Out of curiosity I looked in BikeBandit's OEM part finder and looked up the nomenclature for the FJR lineage. Without listing every permutation (AE, ES, 49 state, CA, etc....), here is what they show for the standard A model (49 state) between '08 and '16 (no listing for '17 yet except for ES so excluded from the list:

2008 AXB

2009 AYB

2010 AZS

2011 AAS

2012 ABL

2013 ADG

2014 AER

2015 AF

2016 AG

If I was in a company like Yamaha (I am in fact working for a capital equipment seller) I wouldn't spend time renaming or categorzing every transition, but would like to refer to everything by model number (like listed above). What I don't understand or see is any pattern in their nomenclature. Everything is starting with A that obviously denotes the A variant, but there is some randomness about how they increment the 2nd digit (why no "AC" model), and how they pick the 3rd digit seems completely random - sometimes has one, sometimes doesn't, when it is there maybe it means the color?

Food for thought....

It's actually very easy to understand what those letter codes stand for...

2008 AXB = Black

2009 AYB = Black

2010 AZS = Silver

2011 AAS = Silver

2012 ABL = Blue

2013 ADG = Dark Gray

2014 AER = Red

2015 AF = Fuggly

2016 AG = Greatest color of them all

eh, my .02 cents here. The sixth gear (and it's easy pull clutch) can be added to the 2013 and 2014. 2013 has same throttle-by-wire (YCC-T) engine control, traction control, D Mode engine mapping. The 2013 can even accept the 2014 and newer computer (if you really want to get CC to function over 82 Mph). 2013 does not have the ES or LED headlight/tailight, but does LED driving lights and front blinkers. The Seat, bags, windshield, two-cat exhaust (and extended list) are all the same too in this gen. Though my 2013 requires some "mods" to get closer to these later refinements, the fact that this model can easily take most of those mods, suggests there are more similarities than differences. I consider the latest models still "Gen III". I suppose an argument can be made for 3.5 refinements. However, "Gen IV", to me, would be a from-the-ground-up-rework and according to Yamaha, that is what was done starting with the 2013 model. I haven't read that proclamation from Yamaha on these latest models. Another question I'd have to ask myself regarding gen differences, are said differences, between 2013 and 2017, enough to justify a new expense? (especially if one already owns a 2013 or 2014). I'm having so much fun and enjoyment now, at this time (for me), it's hard to justify it.

Whatever the consensus, we're all family here.

I bought a Gen 2014.

It has to be its own generation because it is the only year that is red, which is far more significant than LED lights or an unnecessary 6th gear.

tonguesmiley.gif

26% for Gen 3.5 and 74% for Gen 4. Poll is done and I've updated some forum items with the majority results...and will be doing some more later.

Thanks for participating!

Status
Not open for further replies.