What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Generation are 2016 and 2017 FJRs?

• Gen 3 (same as 2013, 2014, and 2015)

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Gen 3.5 (the chassis and engine are the same, but signficant upgrades)

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Gen 4 (a 6th gear, slipper clutch, and LED lights are enough to make it a new generation)

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gen 5 (Yamaha Motor UK had it right, we've been doing it wrong for years)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really don't want me to logically explain this but I will anyway.

It seems to me until the fairing is redesigned (where generational changes began) or the motor has experienced a major re-design, NOT a simple tranny mod like the sixth speed addition
Just to be contrarian (and, yes, I did vote Gen. 4), I would argue that a transmission mod is a far more major re-design (and deserving of a generational designation) than tweaking the fairing, since the latter doesn't change the bike per se (other than from a visual perspective). Throw on the slipper clutch and the LED lighting, and I believe there's more than enough justification to call it a Gen. 4.

Reminder that the poll closes in a week. Currently a plurality, but not a majority. Feel free to vote if you haven't.

Thanks.

Ig

The votes for 3 and 3.5 could both be construed as being votes for them being 3rd Generation, which would make the poll a lot closer.

At the moment you do have a majority who do not think of it as a Gen 3.x.
In my mind, versions can be fractional but generations cannot be. Like Gen3Ver1.1, G3V2, G3V2.1.1, G3V2.2.1, G3V2.2.2, etc. Really, this would be more in keeping with the collectives' innate (or inane, your choice) ability to overcomplicate things to confuse the carp outta ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
<quote>

At the moment you do have a majority who do not think of it as a Gen 3.x.</quote>

There's a plurality...not a majority. For a majority you need 50% plus one vote or more.

I'll close the poll this evening and if a plurality still exists, I'll do a week long runoff of the top 2 to ensure a majority. If a majority exists I'll be taking some forum steps to update some items.

Thanks ALL for participating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get RenoJohn's opinion regarding the Generational differences?
rolleyes.gif

I know the difference between plurality and majority.

The majority on the day I posted had NOT chosen for 3 or it's derivatives.

You had 47 for 4 and 4 for 5.

That was 51, which happened to be more than 50% on that day. Hence a majority had NOT chosen for a 3.x label.

I don't know, or care about the current vote.

It doesn't have a strong effect on resale value and it has ZERO affect on how well it rides.

FWIW, 4.5 angels can dance on the head of a pinhead.

47.96% for Gen 4 and 28.57% for Gen 3.5. This poll is closed and will start a run-off for the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.