What happened to Isabella's Engine?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just chiming in to say that I haven't forgotten about the need to plasti-gage the crank bearings. The parts are high and dry in my attic with a nice coat of oil on them, so I'm assuming there is no rush. I've been kind of busy riding lately....
punk.gif

Referencing post #89 of this thread, I'm just remembering that the counter balancer gears are straight cut. Does anyone think that this is what makes the "3K whine" that I hear on our bike?

Funny how delicate those pistons look. I am currently trying to un-seize a Detroit 8V92. this thing weighs about 4000 pounds. At first I needed 4 turnbuckles and a sledgehammer! Now I am now down to 2 turnbuckles. It has taken me three days to get it to make 1 revolution. I have all the cylinders scraped clean and am trying clean the pistons as they pass the ports. It is getting easier to turn.

This engine is used to train people to Tune up these and sometimes they "runaway" and the only way to stop them is with a board over the turbo to cut off the air. They did not have this ready so...

Get this... they used a fire extinguisher to stop it... a DRY CHEMICAL EXTINGUISHER!!!

Did you know that stuff in those is the result of an unholy union between sand and hot glue?

OK, Sorry, off topic, but still an engine post.

Just chiming in to say that I haven't forgotten about the need to plasti-gage the crank bearings. The parts are high and dry in my attic with a nice coat of oil on them, so I'm assuming there is no rush. I've been kind of busy riding lately....
punk.gif

Referencing post #89 of this thread, I'm just remembering that the counter balancer gears are straight cut. Does anyone think that this is what makes the "3K whine" that I hear on our bike?
I am not sure what cause this whine noise in our bikes,but i am pretty sure that i like and i love this sound..!!!
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
good.gif
yahoo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that the whine is also gear dependent. I hear mine whine mostly in 4th gear, but I also always wear earplugs.

Do you hear the whine at 3k in all gears?

Pretty much every gear in the bike except the final drive bevels are straight-cut, so plenty of gear whine.

Much more enjoyable than some of the other whining we've had here over the years.

My shifter clunks. The center stand is too hard to use. Why no 6th gear? My windshield/seat/bar-position sucks. My cruise control only works up to 81 mph.

OK, that last one is a legitimate complaint, but you see what I mean. :)

I heard an ugly rumor...from an ugly rumor-monger, BTW...who said he recently bivouacked at Casa Del Woofshee recently and heard you were having the dreaded popping out of 2nd gear problem???

If so, I've got a perfectly fine 04 gearbox sitting in a not-perfectly fine 04 lump taking up space in my garage.....