What's a great little stablemate for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are fully faired bikes more expensive to insure? State farm was on the fence with the FJR being a sportbike or a touring bike.
Yes! Tupperware is expensive. Also, larger displacement bikes are usually higher cost to insure. You should check with your agent with different models so gauge for yourself.

WeeStrom or SV650 can each be easily modified. The engines are practically bullet proof and each model has a huge following so there are many websites and plenty of aftermarket pieces available, new and used.

The same idea would apply to the FZ's. Your insurance agent would be able to compare the different sizes vs. the same year to give you a baseline quote.

Another consideration is maintenance. Though the hyper-motard or monster might be tons of fun, how much maintenance can you do on your own and what kind of dealer network is near you for parts, pieces and any support you'd need. That is the issue for Triumph , Ducati and KTM.

You said your local Triumph dealer is awesome so that's a huge plus for that motorcycle. How about if you're 500-700 miles away? Though I don't remember reading any dire warnings about sudden-terminal-self-destruction of Triumphs.

2 weekends ago I met a friend for lunch. He was riding their dealership's KTM 990 SuperDuke, piped, chipped, etc., etc. Can you spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E (it's in the dictionary under: Hooligan)?

Are fully faired bikes more expensive to insure? State farm was on the fence with the FJR being a sportbike or a touring bike.
Yes! Tupperware is expensive. Also, larger displacement bikes are usually higher cost to insure. You should check with your agent with different models so gauge for yourself.

WeeStrom or SV650 can each be easily modified. The engines are practically bullet proof and each model has a huge following so there are many websites and plenty of aftermarket pieces available, new and used.

The same idea would apply to the FZ's. Your insurance agent would be able to compare the different sizes vs. the same year to give you a baseline quote.

Another consideration is maintenance. Though the hyper-motard or monster might be tons of fun, how much maintenance can you do on your own and what kind of dealer network is near you for parts, pieces and any support you'd need. That is the issue for Triumph , Ducati and KTM.

You said your local Triumph dealer is awesome so that's a huge plus for that motorcycle. How about if you're 500-700 miles away? Though I don't remember reading any dire warnings about sudden-terminal-self-destruction of Triumphs.

2 weekends ago I met a friend for lunch. He was riding their dealership's KTM 990 SuperDuke, piped, chipped, etc., etc. Can you spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E (it's in the dictionary under: Hooligan)?
The local dealer that is so great with the Triumphs also sells Ducati and KTM. But not the KTM sportbikes. I could buy a Duc and get great service. I have to go read the new full test in Sport Rider of the Motard!

As a side note: The reason my local dealer dropped KTM sportbikes is because KTM demanded that they buy an 8000 dollar diagnostic tool for the RC8 alone! That is ridiculous when they might have sold a couple of them a year. Not cool on KTM.

I have had a few in the past few years. Right now its an 08 ZX10R. I just assume that bike #2 changes depending on my mood. #1 is always the FJR though, its the constant.

I sure like my DRZ400sm. Very reliable and loads of fun. 60 mpg is a bit optimistic though. I get around 50 mpg most of the time. I bought a '07 drz last spring for $4200. New ones list at just over $7K.

... and it has more miles on it this year then any of my other bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this:

400_cafe_gt_2_1_.jpg

Vento Cafe GT400 by PTS Motors, 400cc 3-cylinder, 348 lbs.

Compared with the cost of a new FJR: you can buy it with saved lunch money... :)

Check out the Kawasaki 650R. It has a similar riding position to the FJR so is comfortable to ride a bit longer than the average sport bike. At low RPM it's a sweet little pussy-cat but add some throttle and it bares its teeth. I loved mine and was sorry to part with it but the dirt roads were calling. Also recommend the BMWG650GS, which I have now. It makes a great street bike but will happily go off road too.
Looks like I'll be able to give a ride report on the 650R. Cosigned for a young friend of mine... who lost his job and couldn't make payments, so it's in my garage at the house in Ohio. I'll be getting it registered next time I'm back in Cleveland. Not exactly what I would have chosen (SV 650S, FZ6 or FZ1 were on the radar) but it will have to do <_<

two years ago I bought a barely used '04 SV-650s and it has been a real hoot to ride.

Very light and flickable and that 650 v-twin has a great sound and lots of low end torque. I have a Dale Walker Holeshot high mount exhaust which sounds great.

I have also upgraded the front and rear suspension so it now rides like it should. And that danged thing gets 55-60 mpg all day long.

It has been a perfect stablemate for my '05 FJR.

The talk of insurance reminded me of another gem. The '00-'02 ZX6R came back again in '05 IIRC badged as a ZZR600. It's one of the best middleweights ever, comfortable, light, but fro the era before the 600s got excessively track-prepped. Also, the ZZR is a "touring" 600 so it's cheap to insure. Before that they had the ZX-6E that was a ZZR outside America and I think was a ZZR here for a year or two before it went away. It was a mid-'90s 600 supersport but in comparison to modern 600s it's a luxury liner; a seat you can sit on and bars you can reach? Who'da thunk it! The downside is that it also handled like a luxury liner compared to new 600s... but probably a bit more nimble than the FJR.

You should have kept the Nighthawk! :p

The talk of insurance reminded me of another gem. The '00-'02 ZX6R came back again in '05 IIRC badged as a ZZR600. It's one of the best middleweights ever, comfortable, light, but fro the era before the 600s got excessively track-prepped. Also, the ZZR is a "touring" 600 so it's cheap to insure. Before that they had the ZX-6E that was a ZZR outside America and I think was a ZZR here for a year or two before it went away. It was a mid-'90s 600 supersport but in comparison to modern 600s it's a luxury liner; a seat you can sit on and bars you can reach? Who'da thunk it! The downside is that it also handled like a luxury liner compared to new 600s... but probably a bit more nimble than the FJR.
You should have kept the Nighthawk! :p
Right now I would say the best stablemate is a second FJR and a FZ1. I bought a new one three months ago and can't bring myself to part with the old one!

My Feejers stablemate is the venerable Zuk GSX650F. They seem to get along well, cept that the Feej gets jealous of the Zuk's light weight and fuel economy, while the Zuk wishes she could be as stable at high speeds and give better weather protection like the FJR. They both seem to like cruising along at 70-80mph in smooth comfort though.

fjrzukeside.jpg

suzuki TL1000R - think of it as an SV on steroids. massive torque, V-twin sound, and loads of fun. plus, you can fit a $200 dry nitrous kit under the pillion seat and add 20 hp when you think you need it.

you can pick one up in nice shape for around $3500. yellow ones are the fastest.

tl1000r.jpg

Speed Triple IMO. Looks great, sounds great, fun to ride, comfortable rider triangle, no wind protection is a plus in that it might help keep your straight line speeds out of the stratosphere, tons of aftermarket parts, etc. I've been thinking about buying one lately myself!

I bought my FJR as a replacement for a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S. I love my FJR, but it is just so much worse through the turns than the nighthawk was. I don't know if it's just plain weight, suspension, wheel size, whatever, but that little 450 pounder was a BLAST, I should not have sold it.
If you miss it that much, I am selling my '85 (blue and black). You can have it for a lot less than 5K! ;)

As you well know, as reliable as a shovel, and about as easy to maintain.

-Sharif

1. SV650 - Lots of people have them, but they are pretty low on HP
  2. Speed Triple - Lots of HP, plus my Dad owns a Triumph and out local dealer is AWESOME
  3. Monster - Wife is in love with the trellis frame, easy sell for her
  4. Hypermotard - The hooligan in me kind of wants to ride one these, with a throaty pipe
  5. Other comfortable sporty bikes?

Oh yeah, something around 5k, gonna just pay cash. And I can't justify anything more on a second motorcycle.
From this list and your budget, I would say the SV650, which as has been pointed out, there is a big following and you could probably find one that already has some good mods on it.

Speed Triple, man those are cool IMO! And, plenty of power and maybe could get a nice one within that budget (I haven't looked much)

For other, look at a FZ6 or FZ1; you would have the advantage of that of having some parts compatibility with the FJR, same dealer network, etc...

Man, to have an unlimited motorcycle budget!

Thread revival: What about the Monster 796 as a stablemate? Great right ups that I've seen, and would seem rather different from the Feej (which is the only basis on which I can possibly justify a second bike -- it's gotta be in a whole different ballpark).