What's a great little stablemate for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first thing to do is decide what kind of riding you want to do.

This is my stable:

Motocross; YZ 250 F, 2002, Absolutely a terrific bike for flying.

Trails; DRZ400, Great torque, plenty of suspension,electric start, best bike to just sit on and ride dirt trails all day long.

Sport touring; FJR 1200, 07, I don't have to say anything to you guys.

Cruiser; 02, Kaw Mean Streak, Nice bike to go down to the corner and hang with some buddies, zero maintence, I have had this bike since new, one set of tires, and a battery, period.

Stop light to stop light burner; 05 V-Max, Fastest stop sign to stop sign bike I have ever ridden. +150 H.P., +100 ft.# of torque, V boost kicks in at 6,000 R.P.M. and you dam sure better be hangin on and leaning forward over the tank because the front end is comming up.

Antique Head turner; 1983 Honda CX650 Turbo, People can hear the turbo spooling up a mile away. I take it out once or twice a year to bike night. This bike literally draws a crowd. I have had people ask me to take it out of the lot just to take pictures of it. This bike was way ahead of it's time, computer controlled fuel injection, turbo charged, anti-dive duel front discs, shaft drive. Honda only made this bike for one year, they brought only 1,100 into this country

FZ1 is the perfect stablemate... when I switch from my 08 FJR AE to the FZ1, I get a grin on my face and visa versa... a great pair in the garage.

Here is a picture of my son on the 08 FZ1 and if you take a peek in the back of the garage, you can see the FJR covered up. A combined 290 HP at the cranks!

fz1_eric.jpg

I ran out of space so this is the rest.

Absolutely the most thrilling bike; Two years ago I did a track day with my brother. We have been riding and building motorcycles for fifty years. I took the FJR and thought I was going to show these guys how to ride. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. G P racing is not about going fast. It's about going around corners fast. In fifty years of street riding, dirt riding, hill climbing, I have never had the opportunity to take a corner at 85 M.P.H., then accelerate to +120 M.P.H. then start grabbing brakes and grears, and praying to God that I can slow down enough to make the next corner. Enter my 05 GSXR 600, thrilling dosen't come close to discribing race day on this bike, terrifying, comes closer, but still a little short. After several beginners courses,two intermediate, one advanced, and then race school. I got my race license at the end of 09. I raced in 10 but had two get-offs, one at about 85, the other at about 40. I finished the season but never got back up to my best times untill the last weekend. The 11 season starts this weekend at Nelson Ledges and I am STOKED!!!

If any body reading this ever gets a chance to throw a leg over a race preped GSXR 600 and do a few hot lapps do not pass up the time of your life.

Gray Ray #65

A 2010 KTM 530EXC, 2011 KTM 300XC, 2007 Honda 450X, 2005 Honda CR250R The dirt is a lot harder riding, but it will make you a better rider!

I like my naked Triumph Speed Triple for scareing myself. And I like my Triumph Daytona for how easy it falls into a corner. But I always love my FJR the best. I think a good naked bike for being a hooligan is probably the best stable mate for the FJR.

An '06 SV650 has been the FJR's stablemate for over 3 years and it's tough to fault. Well . . . . . just picked up a '09 leftover FZ1 for $8K out the door. I couldn't resist. I'm now stuck with having to sell the SV since it either goes, or my wife divorces me. Now that I think about it??????

I like my FZ1!!!!

I Traded a 2009 BMW R1200R on my FJR. I miss that bike, I'll have another one some day. I'm convinced that boxer motor had a soul.

I like my FZ1!!!!

I Traded a 2009 BMW R1200R on my FJR. I miss that bike, I'll have another one some day. I'm convinced that boxer motor had a soul.
Had a Tuono......now a Hyper!!! Great for urban assaults and around the metromess. Not for sport touring...LOL.

HM1-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Henry Ford, any color you want as long as it's black; Carbon Black, that is.

You need the one in the background:

2012-05-12153012.jpg

Sigh... No, that $45k Buell 1190RS Carbon isn't mine. :angry2:

However, on the opposite extreme, I have four high-mileage rider friends that own several bikes each. All four of these guys have SV650's among their respective stables. Ask any one of them which is their favorite bike to ride and the SV ranks at, or right near the top of the list. They talked me into picking up an SV, and I've never regretted it. What a hoot! Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, easy on tires, chains/sprockets, etc. If you wad it up, parts are plentiful and dirt cheap on the interweb. When you toss away those sexy bikes, they aren't so cheap to fix.

They do this well:

MuseumturnBarber.jpg

And this well:

2012-02-05153359.jpg

2012-02-05152044.jpg

I bought it from a FJR forum member for $2600. !

No, it won't do power wheelies coming out of a turn, but it sure is gratifying when you go around big-heavy bikes on the outside under braking at a track day. :yahoo: ...of course, they run away from you on the next straighaway, <_<

There are so many great bikes out there it's so hard to choose.....

Check out Suzuki Gladius 650, my buddy liked them and bought 2 at once, inexpensive bikes. One set up for local commutes and the

other with the biggest knobbies he could mount for cowboy roads etc. Have an XR650 & it smokes me, he said he did 120mph

with knobbies on just for the hell of it.

'98 Honda VTR1000. I like that it is light, narrow, and makes that V(L?)-Twin sound. I can take out my Tinkering urges on it, and not goof up the FJR in the process, and it's just fun for those mornings when the wife is working and I just want to go tearassing around and make some noise. I put some VFR750 bars on it, adjusted the TPS and went through the (horrors!)carbs. Oh yeah, bashed out the 3rd baffle in the cans. Not too loud, but it makes a nice rumble at speed. The VTR is under almost Everybody's radar, and goes for cheap. Good stuff!

I have a few stablemates to my FJR, in all actually they came first so I guess the FJR is the stablemate. Or something.

2007 Road King. Great mile burner, and handles a lot better than you would think. No comparison to the FJR in the turns, but it's a great bike if you have somewhere far to go, 2-up, and you want to bring a lot of stuff.

1999 Sportster 883C. Good bike, again handles better than you should think. Reliable and cheap to own so far. I need to do a bit of carb work, but I believe that problem was caused by either the PO, or the ethanol, or a combination.

2008 ZX-14. Great sportbike, great sport-tourer if you are by yourself. Not a highway ride like the rest of them due to riding position and wind protection, but on the backroads it's a joy to ride.

If I'd had the FJR first and was looking for something to complement it, I think I would buy an SV1000. Not the naked one, but the one with the front fairing. The prices have some way down, and it was one of the best bikes I ever owned. Never should have sold it. The new Bandit 1250 would work also, I took one on a demo ride and liked it a lot. I actually considered buying one, but that was the same weekend that I took an FJR on a demo ride, among many other bikes. The FJR won, obviously.

The FZ6R is an FJR 'mini-me' in all respects. It has a very smooth inline four and an excellent transmission. The riding position is similar. It feels almost as sophisticated as the FJR. They are fairly cheap as these things go since they are labeled 'beginner bikes'. Having tried both the Ninja 650 and Yamaha FZ6R, I am sure most FJR riders would prefer the Yamaha.

If you want more hooligan bike it's hard to beat the Speed Triple.