What's a great little stablemate for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably won't actually crack open my wallet, but I think the new Super Tenere is the perfect stablemate.

Get an SV650 ride it BE HAPPY ;)

I bought one for my wife when I was married and it was possibly one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. I knocked the baffle out of the stock muffler and it made the sound perfect to my ears. You can get a fuel injected SV (03+) for low money with not a lot of miles. I should have tried to get that bike during the divorce but I did not and regret it. :( I miss it just talking about it right now.

I also am looking for a stablemate for the FJR. So far, I am leaning toward the new Kawasaki Z1000. Light, comfortable,

very quick, and very good suspension, brakes. The number 1 rated sport standard in the industry by Rider, Cycle World

and Motorcyclist magazines. The styling is a bit out there, but corner-carving and fun-to-ride abilities would be

a good addition to my 06FJR.

Gary Green

Never say never, but I'll say that I'll never part with my Triple! The best part is that it's Sooo different from my FJR.

DSCN8458.jpg

My other 2 bikes are an 09 Raider that is a blast and completely different than the Feejer and an 07 Suzuki GS 500 twin that I stripped and made into a cafe bike, fast little snot and handles like a 10 speed :)

I would post pics but ain't got the skillz...

Thanks for all the great input and keeping the thread alive!

I have yet to buy my FJR a friend, but I did just pull the trigger on a new "Stable". Wife and I are building a house and the new place will have a garage just for the feejer. So now i finally have the room for two bikes once i do pull the trigger.

It's tough spending enough on appliances to buy a lightly used speed triple :(

I bought my FJR as a replacement for a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S. I love my FJR, but it is just so much worse through the turns than the nighthawk was. I don't know if it's just plain weight, suspension, wheel size, whatever, but that little 450 pounder was a BLAST, I should not have sold it.

I am buying a house this spring, so I won't buy soon, but looking for thoughts and recommendations on a small stablemate. The FJR is my wife, but I need a girlfriend.

<ol type='1'><li>SV650 - Lots of people have them, but they are pretty low on HP</li><li>Speed Triple - Lots of HP, plus my Dad owns a Triumph and out local dealer is AWESOME</li><li>Monster - Wife is in love with the trellis frame, easy sell for her</li><li>Hypermotard - The hooligan in me kind of wants to ride one these, with a throaty pipe</li><li>Other comfortable sporty bikes?</li></ol>

When i look at price and comfort the SV keeps calling my name, but the power and sound of the triple with pipes could rock.

Oh yeah, something around 5k, gonna just pay cash. And I can't justify anything more on a second motorcycle.
I've got an FZ1 to go along with my FJR. Great fun to ride, a lot more comfortable than the CBR600 I had previously. Its great for commuting (nice and narrow, fits through lanes easy), nice to look at (in my opinion), and CHEAP - I bought a brand new '08 (essentially unchanged from '07 to '11) in the autumn of 2009 for about $8000 OTD. You can get late model, low mileage used copies for under $4500. Insurance is something like $300/year if memory serves.

Never say never, but I'll say that I'll never part with my Triple! The best part is that it's Sooo different from my FJR.

DSCN8458.jpg
I want that exact bike, color and everything! That bike is tits, nice picture.
Hmmmm....it seems your decision is made! Now...for minor details like financing the decision. :blink:

;)

:yahoo:

If you like old school & have the money (plus mechanical skills don't hurt) Ducati.......that's one of the reasons I bought a 900ss....

I traded in my FJR for this today...

IMG_0022-1.jpg

I bought the FJR thinking I'd have time for long trips, which didn't happen.

My riding has evolved into 200-400 mile day trips centered around great twisty roads a good ways away from home, and getting back home in time for dinner.

The FJR is a great bike, and I enjoyed the time I spent with mine. But this.... hoooooooo boy.

The Arrow 3-1 lowmount makes a proper, PROPER sound. Lots of other accessories are already on order.

I had a 2005 SV650 that I rode the heck out of (it was literally my first touring bike) and traded it to get the FJR that I have now. As much as I had no problem lane-splitting, canyon riding, and what have you with my big beast there are days I wish I still had that SV to flog around. I still consider it to be one the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. :)

Assuming a limited budget and figuring that this bike won't get a fraction of work my FJR does, other bikes I've considered other than the SV have been the KLR650, a BMW F650GS, or the Street Triple. My FJR is my main bike so a 650cc-ish bike as the stablemate is just fine. Anything bigger just seems to be a little redundant because the FJR is already the big sport touring machine. I so wish for a money tree and a backyard for it to grow in!

Of course, a scooter is always a welcome addition for the quick jaunt to the store. I also found that I could trailer it with me to a couple places... :p

trailer3.jpg

I just got this.... so I see a little dirt in my future.

Oh it's the blue in white bike.... not big RED. :p

395921675.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
<!--quoteo(post=714454:date=Mar 19 2010, 09:27 AM:name=dcarver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dcarver @ Mar 19 2010, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=714454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably not your cup o' joe, but I love my WeeStrom. Knobbies for light dirt work, flickable in the street, cheap to keep... meets lots of my needs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><!--coloro:#8B0000--><span style="color:#8B0000"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>
Gunny!