Whats That Smell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nitecrawler

its an '05 with about 1600 miles on it, and it still Reeks of hot paint, or something, actually fills my entire garage with this stentch? this normal? :blink:

Frank was somewhat odorous for quite a while after he first moved in, and still, at 7000 plus, farts and shits occasionally. Such is life with the formerly homeless. I guess if smoke ain't shootin out it's ass, not to worry. Yet.

It takes a while for the afterbirth to cook off. They are partially organic you know.

Actually, can you describe the smell?

-r

Dude,

Pandora had the "smell," but after a couple of v... showers it smells like potpourri :p

Just wash the darn thing and ride it till the stink can't catch up. :D

its an '05 with about 1600 miles on it, and it still Reeks of hot paint, or something, actually fills my entire garage with this stentch? this normal?  :blink:
There is some smell associated with sulfer and various partroleum products that are being burned off. The smell will dissipate soon.

I've always heard it's a substnace called "cosmoline" that is applied to the engine to fight corrosion during shipping.

May be false, but it has a distinct smell to it, that's for sure.

Cosmoline is a heavy grease applied to metal objects destined for long term storage. Feejers do not have it. The odor is just the new construction sealers, lubes, and paint cooking off. 10 years from now someone will sell it in a spray can, for those nostalgic for the smell.... ;)

10 years from now someone will sell it in a spray can, for those nostalgic for the smell.... ;)
LOL!!

Mine smells a bit too. With only 600 miles I guess it'll be with me a bit. I was kinda thinkin' it should burn off after a ride or two...guess not :huh:

Just a lil bit I guess.. Im doing the LAWMAN 1000 next weekend, we'll see if that knocls the stink off of it. ;)

Last edited:
It kinda worried me too, at first, as I’ve not owned a new bike for many a year.

BUT: Enjoy every friggin minute of it. It will dissipate soon enough – then it’ll be no longer new.

The good news is this bike gets better with miles (at least that has been my limited experience (with about 4,600 miles on the clock)) – it now shifts better, runs cooler, idles better, and goes faster … .

Again (unless it's belching smoke out of the pipes) enjoy every friggin minute of it!!!!

Again (unless it's belching smoke out of the pipes) enjoy every friggin minute of it!!!!
Then, of course, get the YES plan and ride the piss out of it! :D

I had that same smell on mine for some time.

Turns out there was a little old lady stuck up in the radiator guard. A little dried out, but once I pulled her out of there the stink went away immediately. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: