What's the big "Gen1" Deal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all should have a get-together. Everyone could bring a Sony Beta movie from their collection. Go to your rotary phones and dial in for more details now
smile.png

don't care, don't matter. riding any FJR is much better than pushing a harley
There is a school of thought that would add that just walking is better than pushing ANY motorcycle.

Regarding Gen1's superiority, I'm in the camp that agrees - mostly because that's what's in my garage.

(He says with a nod of gratitude to the guy who skipped over Gen2 and bought a Gen3 - and passed his Gen1 along. Yippee!)

Great thread and I am learning a lot of FJR history too. Love my 2003 and still think it's the best looking as well.

Most Gen 1 owners also have a bond...or more precisely share a common experience of anguish and elation that later generation owners simply cannot fathom. They are members of the PDP Tribe.
aikido.gif

Most of these hearty souls banded together in Web 1.0 days ferreting out low-res photos of the rumored FJR via WebCrawler, Alta Vista, and once in a while via the nascient and inferior Google. They sought out elusive promotional material at dealers, stared enviously at the vinyl posters on dealer walls, poured through e-mails from listservs for scraps about the coming juggernaut of SPORT-touring perfection, and vainly invented meanings for the letters F-J-R. Forums hadn't really even been invented yet.

The occasional nomad from Europe typed in broken English sketchy details of beige 2001 and green 2002 FJRs and most everybody just believed Aussie sources were funning us. The French were just deluded. To some the FJR was just another Yeti sighting. Nobody actually had ever sat on one--let alone ridden one on our continent.

But a few of those hearty souls bucked all semblance of reason, wrote non-refundable $500 checks to dealers touting the "Priority Delivery Program", promised to pay the balance when the bike showed up months later, and twiddled their thumbs. Let me say that again......people used to drop small stacks of hundred dollar bills down on a vague promise by Yamaha that they'd own a gray FJR with side cases and liners thrown in for free months after they paid! And they did this without ever actual seeing one--let alone riding one.

Those were heady times and brave souls.

And 2004 owners did much the same thing, but did have a slight advantage in that they could see and possibly touch one of the few 2003 examples around before plopping down their money. Extra trusting 2003 owners would even let them sit on them. Warchild was one of those and even had one of the early-farkled machines with a Russell seat, highway pegs, and new-fangled PHIDs mounted on custom made one-off brackets.

2005 owners had it a bit easier with two year of bass boat blue pleasure and few even found spare inventory around from people that had bailed and forfeited their $500.

In 2006 that all changed. This forum went through a little stress as the newly coined "Gen 2" owners were generally worse than Millennials on Redbull...completely oblivious to the character-building discipline that the PDP instilled in FJR owners.

And we won't talk about the shortbus AE owners....a dead-end in the evolution of the species.

By Gen 3 the crusty old Gen 1 owners were worrying more about whether their prostates worked, don't care as much anymore, and a few found themselves reborn by picking up used Gen 2 or holding out for a Gen 3.

For that reason alone, for those that endured the PDP.....Gen 1's are the best.
wink.png
Greatest post in the 9 year history of FJRForum.com!!

Most Gen 1 owners also have a bond...or more precisely share a common experience of anguish and elation that later generation owners simply cannot fathom. They are members of the PDP Tribe.
aikido.gif

Most of these hearty souls banded together in Web 1.0 days ferreting out low-res photos of the rumored FJR via WebCrawler, Alta Vista, and once in a while via the nascient and inferior Google. They sought out elusive promotional material at dealers, stared enviously at the vinyl posters on dealer walls, poured through e-mails from listservs for scraps about the coming juggernaut of SPORT-touring perfection, and vainly invented meanings for the letters F-J-R. Forums hadn't really even been invented yet.

The occasional nomad from Europe typed in broken English sketchy details of beige 2001 and green 2002 FJRs and most everybody just believed Aussie sources were funning us. The French were just deluded. To some the FJR was just another Yeti sighting. Nobody actually had ever sat on one--let alone ridden one on our continent.

But a few of those hearty souls bucked all semblance of reason, wrote non-refundable $500 checks to dealers touting the "Priority Delivery Program", promised to pay the balance when the bike showed up months later, and twiddled their thumbs. Let me say that again......people used to drop small stacks of hundred dollar bills down on a vague promise by Yamaha that they'd own a gray FJR with side cases and liners thrown in for free months after they paid! And they did this without ever actual seeing one--let alone riding one.

And 2004 owners did much the same thing, but did have a slight advantage in that they could see and possibly touch one of the few 2003 examples around before plopping down their money. Extra trusting 2003 owners would even let them sit on them. Warchild was one of those and even had one of the early-farkled machines with a Russell seat, highway pegs, and new-fangled PHIDs mounted on custom made one-off brackets.

2005 owners had it a bit easier with two year of bass boat blue pleasure and few even found spare inventory around from people that had bailed and forfeited their $500.

In 2006 that all changed. This forum went through a little stress as the newly coined "Gen 2" owners were generally worse than Millennials on Redbull...completely oblivious to the character-building discipline that the PDP instilled in FJR owners.

And we won't talk about the shortbus AE owners....a dead-end in the evolution of the species.

By Gen 3 the crusty old Gen 1 owners were worrying more about whether their prostates worked, don't care as much anymore, and a few found themselves reborn by picking up used Gen 2 or holding out for a Gen 3.

wink.png
As much as it totally pisses Papa Chuy Viejo off to agree with anything RadioHowie blubbers, he is right on: Ignacio hit it out of the park with this one! JSNS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Later, didn't quite a few of those same trusting souls order aux. fuel cells from, uh, oh, never mind.
whistle.gif

aikido.gif

wink.png
In stark contrast, I walked into the showroom, and I literally had my choice of a '12, '13, '14a, and '14es.

I salute our hardy forebearers.

aikido.gif

And 2004 owners did much the same thing, but did have a slight advantage in that they could see and possibly touch one of the few 2003 examples around before plopping down their money. Extra trusting 2003 owners would even let them sit on them.
...and of course, while all the "waiters" waited...03 owners were posting photos of tipped over container ships saying "oops"! No wonder yer waiting so long for your Cerulean Silver, YOUR bike is in the harbor. Too bad. I'm sure you'll get a letter soon explaining all this...

Promised in March...arriving in October. Now THAT is a long summer.

I have both gen 1 & 2 in my garage. That's where the Gen 2 STAYS and where the Gen 1 REST.

A Gen 2 is more refined, but I would rather have the raw fun of the Gen 1.

It's hard to explain but the raw has a better feel than the refined. Besides that ... Gen 1 can dual sport, while Gen 2s are dirt shy!

Typical GEN I forum BS from the vocal minority...
bye.gif

They aren't. All the Gen 1's SUCK.
flirt.gif
There, I called out the elephant in the room.Everyone knows, deep inside, that GEN 2's are the Rawkin' FJR Ride.
No worries DC, I'm with ya! We can rock the twisties on our superior GEN II's.
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

bye.gif

flirt.gif
There, I called out the elephant in the room.Everyone knows, deep inside, that GEN 2's are the Rawkin' FJR Ride.
coolsmiley02.gif

--G
+1
punk.gif

Iggy's statement about some owners finding a bike that someone had bailed on the PDP is how I got mine. Had to ship it from MN to AZ and received it with "0" miles, yes, zero, not even a test ride by the dealer. If this beast ever gets broke beyond repair, I'll look for another Gen I. If my lottery ticket hits tomorrow, I'll buy a bunch of extra Gen I "spares" so I don't have to deal with the heavier siblings that strive to be as good as the original!
tonguesmiley.gif

It's because we were first.
smile.png
The original 03 is considered the quickest due to lighter weight and slightly different cams and ECU. Other than that they are all about the same. The refinements you mention are fine but they keep adding weight and complexity. This should get the six speed thing going also along with cancelling signals. Probably ought to have a cup holder built in.
C'mon, everyone knows they didn't have cams and ECUs back then!
no.gif

I spent a long time deciding which bike to buy; the FJR, the new ST1300, or a BMW.

When the magazine tests and first-hand reports started coming out, and I saw one in person, I knew that Liquid Silver machine was the one.

I was too late for the PDP program for the '03's and was looking at the long wait for the '04's.

I found an E-Bay listing in December of '03 from a guy in Bend, OR who was promised his '03 in July and didn't get it until November.

He had tired of waiting and bought a Harley(??!).

I bid $12,000, won the auction, and picked it up on Dec. 31. I loved that bike.

I still think it is the best looking FJR.

"For fairness I invite a representative from each of the other Gen's to write their own version."

Highly unlikely.. gen ll owners don't have the smarts!
lol.gif
+1, Gunny; this is why Bustanut joker is the smartest man on our FJR Forum, if dcarver sends in his version you can bet it'll be written with a Crayola! JSNS!

crayola-anti-roll-crayons-2.jpg

Why do your crayons have a flat side??
They are most likely from Florida… Those would be "Chicken Strips" from too much straight line drawing.

I have both gen 1 & 2 in my garage. That's where the Gen 2 STAYS and where the Gen 1 REST.A Gen 2 is more refined, but I would rather have the raw fun of the Gen 1.

It's hard to explain but the raw has a better feel than the refined. Besides that ... Gen 1 can dual sport, while Gen 2s are dirt shy!
Hah! I'll take that bet! I'm pretty sure my trusty, reliable, phun n' phast Gen2 has more dirt miles than any other FJR on the board. I could be wrong, but doubt it.. :)

bye.gif

flirt.gif
coolsmiley02.gif

--G
+1
punk.gif
Now we're Rawkin! I think the Gen 1's are faster on goat trail asphalt, but not as stable in high speed sweepers, all things (suspension, rider, set up) being equal.

Later, didn't quite a few of those same trusting souls order aux. fuel cells from, uh, oh, never mind.
whistle.gif
What? No one touched this one?
wink.png
Too easy.

Oh, Ionbeam forgot all about the famous Gen2 key switch character building feature! :whistle:

DeathValleyFeb2007023.jpg