Whining on New Bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
Hi gang. Searched (it worked this time), but the only thread was from a whine that appeared after service.

I only gave 'normal' options because I test rode 2 FJRs, one with 0 miles and another with 60, and both whined like crazy especially below 4K rpms. It was more notorious in the first 2 gears, but I bet I heard it less on 3rd and higher due to the wind noise drowning it out.

Anyway, it seems to come from the tranny, but could be one or both balance shafts, alternator (is it automotive type, like BMW -external-, or like most sportbikes?), or primary gear. Who knows. Tomorrow I'll bring home my bike, and most likely it'll have the noise, but was just wondering if it'll go away after break-in, if it quiets down with thicker oil, or it's the nature of the beast? My KRS was my noisiest bike, but it was silent by comparison. It soulds like those old cars that seem to be running with no oil in the tranny. You know, that straight-cut gear whine but amplified? Just wanted to hear your comments. Take care.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ELP_JC, welcome to the club and not to worry unless the noise is major as this is the norm. And this bike has alot of motor and trans going on down there but really I haven't noticed anything out of line with my 06. But then again I came off a 1988 SoftTail Custom HD with loud pipes. I'm talking making old ladies and little kids run away with the sound and much wine and such from the square cut gears and shifts comparable to a 63 Internationl pickup toploader. Give everything time to break in and things should calm down some but the exhaust will mellow somewhat. Not loud but just that FJR rich mellow tune I love to hear. Hang in there and good luck. PM. <>< :D

Hi gang. Searched (it worked this time), but the only thread was from a whine that appeared after service.
I only gave 'normal' options because I test rode 2 FJRs, one with 0 miles and another with 60, and both whined like crazy especially below 4K rpms. It was more notorious in the first 2 gears, but I bet I heard it less on 3rd and higher due to the wind noise drowning it out.

Anyway, it seems to come from the tranny, but could be one or both balance shafts, alternator (is it automotive type, like BMW -external-, or like most sportbikes?), or primary gear. Who knows. Tomorrow I'll bring home my bike, and most likely it'll have the noise, but was just wondering if it'll go away after break-in, if it quiets down with thicker oil, or it's the nature of the beast? My KRS was my noisiest bike, but it was silent by comparison. It soulds like those old cars that seem to be running with no oil in the tranny. You know, that straight-cut gear whine but amplified? Just wanted to hear your comments. Take care.

JC
JC,

That whine has something to do with your drive train, shaft drive or tranny...Don't know for sure but I think it is normal. Mine does it and I think most do.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
You just gonna through that fast ball across the plate and hope for the best? Does seem that every influx of new owners brings about a lot of whining. :lol:

Aftermarket exhaust will help get rid of this whine in first and second gear before wind noise picks up. Plus it sounds better too.

Eric

my 06 whines like crazy especially at 40-50 mph with wind shield up and head down out of rain. it does it sitting still so its not the rear end. some call it the turbo whine and say they like it. its what i dislike the most about the bike.

Dang, I'm almost glad to hear others talk about the whine. Beginning to think I was having serious problems. My 07 has started a high-pitched whine after about 3000 miles. Irritating as the devil until the wind drowns it out. Did not notice it much until about 500 miles ago. Maybe I was just so proud of the new toy that I did not pay attention.

My '06 has been in the shop for several weeks now. It developed a very loud whine. They tried adjusting a balancer shaft (??) but the whine remains. Next up is the "clutch basket" which reportedly includes the straight cut gear on the output shaft of the engine. This is not rear end noise. It is dependent on engine speed, not vehicle speed. The dealer referred to the noise as a "siren". I'm hoping this next fix does the trick. I want to be able to ride LD without ruining my ears. This is supposed to be a sport-tourer, after all.

Kurt

JC,

I picked up on the "whine" after the 600 mile check-up. I think the description of an International Top Loader with straight cut gears is pretty accurate. It's NOT the rear end as it seems to be engine dependent. I've dumped the clutch a couple of times coming into my driveway and the sound goes away which would not happen if it was in the rear end.

I think there must be a "straight cut" gear (maybe an idle or carrier gear) that for some reason sounds like that International gear box. I don't think there's any problem in the system, just the way the bike tranny sounds. I rode my FJR from Tucson to Mojave, CA and back (1400 miles) and the sound never got louder or caused any problems. Believe me it was 107F in Phoenix and if there were something going to break..................

I think part of the problem is that we new FJR owners get overly concerned over these anomalies, whch is normal for any person investing $14,000 in new bike and being a little "jumpy".

Just "ride it" sounds trite and presumptious but I've heard it when I owned my BMW and it's probably good advice. If the transmission blows up or people run away while covering their ears you might bring it up again.

AZ

Hey folks, thanks a lot for the many replies.

The whine definitely comes from the engine/tranny, as it's engine speed dependent (not road speed, as it'd be the case with the rear end).

The good news is my bike whines a bit less than the other 2 new units I rode, so good news there. The other good news is I always ride with earplugs, and by 3rd gear I don't hear anything.

On my bike the whine is loudest in 1st gear. I'm almost positive that either 1st, or 1st and 2nd are probably straight-cut gears, and hence the whine. The other option would be the balance shafts, but they'd whine the same regardless of gear, and that's not the case IMO.

The good news is it doesn't bother me that much, so that won't detract from the ownership experience... unless it got louder, but doubt it. The other thing I'll do is put fully synthetic oil in there at the next oil change, and that might quiet things a bit more.

Thanks again for your help. Oh, and this bike is FANTASTIC. Like it much better than my departed '03 K1200RS.

JC