Who tows a trailer with an FJR ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the trailer is loaded right you don't really know it's there. A couple times I have forgotten about it and been reminded when the inside wheel gets in the gravel on a right hand bend. If it's loaded heavy you will notice it on braking a little and I tend to run down one gear in the mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt my ears burning...

I have an Aspen Sentry... makes camping nice, hardly notice it behind the bike, although it does lower the gas mileage somewhat.

Here it is in "camping mode" (Cabot Trail, 2011)

DSCN0540_zpsa493adac.jpg

And here it is packed for the road (Blue Ridge Parkway, same trip in 2011)

DSCN0508.jpg

I've used it all over Canada and the States - even did my first official SS1000 with it tagging along behind me.

Griff

Guys,

i'm thinking of putting a hitch on my 2014 for a long trip planned next year with the wife and towing a trailer. I am curious, where does the Hitch attach itself to the bike exactly ? any pictures ? is it easily done ? i see that Bushtec sells a Hitch kit for 439$ but....

Thanks

Guys,
i'm thinking of putting a hitch on my 2014 for a long trip planned next year with the wife and towing a trailer. I am curious, where does the Hitch attach itself to the bike exactly ? any pictures ? is it easily done ? i see that Bushtec sells a Hitch kit for 439$ but....

Thanks
They vary by manufacturer. Mine attaches to the two frame bolts holding the muffler bracket. Then there are two vertical stays that attach under the seat. Slots had to be cut in the fender to accommodate those.

Guys,

Thanks
FYI ....I have a Dauntless hitch for a 2006 - 2015 FJR1300A model. It will not fit on my 2014 ES model.

Home-made version:

2014-09-10-at-03-34-11-e1438703759937.png

I had to make an extra bracket to allow for the Penske reservoir. Put a matching bracket on the other side to align things.

I used steel flat stock and bolts, and welded a piece of steel plate to the inner surface of the U-shaped part to accept the ball

Wow, if that thing actually came off the ball and went to the safety chains, the crash would be spectacular. When that happens in a truck, it's an event.

https://www.monogo.com/index.php
I am towing one of these trailers without problems. Simple maintenance, bearings,bushing and flat washers. 9000 km this year alone. It as been used on tree differente bikes over the years.
Not much room in these.

Recommend putting a flag on the back like ATV's do at an ORV park. Panman got re-ended on his at a National Park entrance because people we could not see the trailer when they got close.

He as since switched to a Bushtec trailer.

In the picture AuburnFJR posted I was pulling the Monogo down the Burr Trail While both he and Beemer were pulling the Bushtech.

Having pulled both I think the Bushtech pulls a bit better while hard in a corner that said I wish I hadn't sold the Monogo as they both could have a purpose for me. My Bushtech is one of the old shorter Turbo's, pulls just fine.

https://www.monogo.com/index.php
I am towing one of these trailers without problems. Simple maintenance, bearings,bushing and flat washers. 9000 km this year alone. It as been used on tree differente bikes over the years.
Not much room in these.

Recommend putting a flag on the back like ATV's do at an ORV park. Panman got re-ended on his at a National Park entrance because people we could not see the trailer when they got close.

He as since switched to a Bushtec trailer.
Had to walk with a walking stick for a few days! Still not sure if they didn't see me or the handsome young German was playing with the pretty young German Girl!
sleep.png

Wow, if that thing actually came off the ball and went to the safety chains, the crash would be spectacular. When that happens in a truck, it's an event.
That's exactly what I think every time I attach mine. They are required, but I am thinking that if the trailer becomes detached for some reason I want it to go it's own way!

In the picture AuburnFJR posted I was pulling the Monogo down the Burr Trail While both he and Beemer were pulling the Bushtech.Having pulled both I think the Bushtech pulls a bit better while hard in a corner that said I wish I hadn't sold the Monogo as they both could have a purpose for me. My Bushtech is one of the old shorter Turbo's, pulls just fine.
Here is Panman behind us going down the waterfold on the Burr Trail in 2012 with the mongo trailer

160.jpg

here is the BeamerReamers ahead of us going down the waterfold on the Burr Trail in 2012

BurrTrail10.jpg

and here is us at the bottom of the Burr Trail

BurrTrail12.jpg

Same trip headed south on the basin highway in Nevada doing triple digits for a couple of hours

101_zpsc7d926a1.jpg

That's exactly what I think every time I attach mine. They are required, but I am thinking that if the trailer becomes detached for some reason I want it to go it's own way!
Well, I've never seen one come off that wasn't operator error. Usually someone has a 2 5/16 tongue on a 2" ball and some event forces the trailer up.

I had a car trailer come off my truck on the freeway like that once. The owner of the trailer told me it had a 2" tongue when it was really larger. It didn't have any markings and was so heavy, it never seemed to have a problem. We had it unloaded running about 70 when we hit a bridge crossing. The pavement had sunk on both sides while the bridge concrete was still intact. When we hit that bump, the trailer came off and the chains caught it. I jammed the brakes, which was probably the incorrect thing to do. The trailer slammed into my rear bumper and put us sideways. I don't know how I saved it, but I was sure we were going to roll over...Anyways...Now, I always check, and have found 3 occasions where I have been lied to. Haha...

Anyway, if that were me, I'd probably cut one of those links 99% through with a dremmel. That way, if the trailer did come off, you'd feel it, but it would break loose. Small trailer like that wouldn't hurt much anyway, where that big car trailer would have killed someone.

Anyway, if that were me, I'd probably cut one of those links 99% through with a dremmel. That way, if the trailer did come off, you'd feel it, but it would break loose. Small trailer like that wouldn't hurt much anyway, where that big car trailer would have killed someone.
or put a really weak dog chain on for show

Some of you have made a conscious decision to accept the

inherent risks of towing a trailer with a motorcycle.

I, on the other hand, do NOT accept being impaled

by the tongue of your trailer as acceptable risk to me.

I find the arrogance repugnant.

Safety chains aren't in place to protect you.

I felt my ears burning...
I have an Aspen Sentry... makes camping nice, hardly notice it behind the bike, although it does lower the gas mileage somewhat.

Here it is in "camping mode" (Cabot Trail, 2011)

DSCN0540_zpsa493adac.jpg

And here it is packed for the road (Blue Ridge Parkway, same trip in 2011)

DSCN0508.jpg

I've used it all over Canada and the States - even did my first official SS1000 with it tagging along behind me.

Griff
I am so intrigued by that trailer. How long have you had it? How much does it weigh? How many do you sleep in it? What, if anything do you NOT like about it? What is the thing you like MOST about it.

Greenham:

Bought the trailer at the end of 2010. Probably have 30 or 40,000 miles on it at this point. Empty weight is around #250, full up is less that #500.

Generally sleeps 2... opens into a queen-sized bed space plus a vestibule.

I'd rather NOT pull a trailer with the FJR - it's a bit like making a thoroughbred pull a plough... but I sure like NOT sleeping on the ground when I get somewhere, and it makes a heckuva base camp so I can do some fun riding from a central spot. Having the trailer means my wife and I tour more than we would if we were doing hotel/motel and eating in restaurants all the time.

For the most part you don't even know the trailer is there. Need to give yourself some extra room, and be aware that your stopping distance increases etc. Sometimes you feel a bit of a "push" coming down a steep hill. Haven't had any "OH SHIT!!!!" moments in 4 seasons and many miles all over Canada and the US.

Hope that answers the questions... if you have any more let me know

Griff

Latest posts