Who tows a trailer with an FJR ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the trailer effect handling?
The typical answer to this question is "You won't even know it is there". I disagree, it may not affect you as much as one would think but you know it is there. Your braking distance is longer, your acceleration is slower and if you need to brake hard in a corner the trailer tends to push your bike back upright. The lighter the bike the more it gets pushed around. I have tens of thousands of miles pulling a trailer with a Goldwing including at least one SS1000 and about 10,000 miles pulling one with an R1200RT. My wife and I tent camped a lot and the trailer sure made camping a lot nicer and interstates made the trailer much less noticeable. But I never felt like I was really on a motorcycle when pulling a trailer. I do have a hitch on the FJR but it is used to hold a 50 liter Givi bag that holds the tent and sleeping bags. We do without an ice chest, cooking ware and cook stove and find the riding more enjoyable. We do find the FJR bags too small for clothes, Gerbing jackets, minimal tools, compressor, and tire plugging kit so I have adapted Givi 45 liter bags to fit the FJR.

We have had a UNI-GO single wheel for 9 years. Tows like nothing is behind you.
I disagree, it may not affect you as much as one would think but you know it is there. Your braking distance is longer, your acceleration is slower and if you need to brake hard in a corner the trailer tends to push your bike back upright.
Yep. And hence the discipline required of towing. The effect of the trailer while riding along at a steady pace can be so slight that it feels as if nothing is there. Until the unmindful rider has to make a braking or swerving or slow speed maneuver...

...or changes lanes 2 feet early.
...or attempts to resume his normal "lane positioning" strategies.

...or attempts to split lanes.

wink.png

Don't forget pulling into the gas station too close to the side of the driveway and bouncing the trailer up