Who's selling their FJR for the new Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first bike was new 1998 1200cc Triumph Trophy in Platinum. I sold it when I moved to Turkey in 2001 with 35K on it. I loved that bike. I also saw the 2001 FJR in England that year. I loved that bike more. I was told buy my dealer that the bike would be in the 17-18K range for price. I am not sure it has 7K more value then my 03 FJR does. I have to admit I like the lines of it, although they look like they made the same mistake on it as Kawasaki did on the original Connie 14. The mirrors are going to be to low for tall riders. I am not sure that I am surprised about that, as the Brits are not very tall. At least not as tall as most Americans. :rolleyes: . I was told that they are trying to cut a deal with one of the GPS manufacturers for a plug in GPS. I would expect that to be Garmin if they are smart. Do not like the picture of the tail bag looks a lot like the one for the FJR. I never bought that one either. I did have one for my 98 and I liked the lines of that bag much better. We will see how it does, I was also told they have been riding it for the last 2 tears in Europe and the USA working out the bugs. It was most likely in development for 2 years before that. They are the only company that has not had a growth year during the recession so I guess they are doing something right. Although this is priced against the BMW more then the FJR or Connie. Can't wait to see one. I am sure I will not buy it as I just bought a new Thunderbird from the dealer and one payment at a time please. :huh:

All that has been released is a bunch of numbers and photos. Guess I never understood why some would make a purchase decision based on that vs. some real world evaluations once the actual bike comes out. Hell, pricing hasn't even been released yet. For example, before the K1600GT was released, based on the marketing, hype, and initial magazine reviews I thought for sure I would own one someday. But after riding it, I didn't love it. Just felt too big to me.

For those that are more tour oriented and like their creature comforts, it seems to be a viable option or competitor to the FJR. But so is the ST1300, C-14, and K1600GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a 96 Triumph Sprint, never wanted the Trophy 1200 over the Sprint, the triple is an intoxicating motor, lots of personality. I am interested in seeing it a taking it out for a spin, but I love my FJR.

I have a friend who has a 2002 Triumph tiger, he purchased used in 2009. When he bought it, it had about 35 k miles on it, and appeared to be well maintained and moderately farkled.

The problem is that almost every time he departs on a trip the Tiger seems to suffer a failure of some type. Like the countersprocket coming loose, or the rear shock going "flat", or the charging system fails, and several other incidents involving "parts" on the bike. The engine seems OK.

Fortunately my friend is very handy with tools and maintenance, he carries a huge tool kit on the bike, and often can fix what breaks. But these incidents often delay his plans.

Just from observing his experience, with reliability, I'd be hesitant to buy a Triumph.

I prefer reliability and the FJR (and other Japanese sport tourers) seem to be very reliable. The lack of dealers in the west is another consideration. I think there's fewer dealers for Triumphs than BMW's!!

Someone is always trying to build a better "mouse trap".

I am very happy with the two PIF titles I have, ie. "Pink Slips"...for us older guys.

But hey, there's always room for another. ;)

No way jumping the Yamaha ship! Holding out for the FJR1400. I know 2013[456] is going to be the year! Besides, I talked with my garbage man and he knows the guy that picks up garbage at the Yama dealer and he has it on good word it has 7 speeds and a supercharger.

No way jumping the Yamaha ship! Holding out for the FJR1400. I know 2013[456] is going to be the year! Besides, I talked with my garbage man and he knows the guy that picks up garbage at the Yama dealer and he has it on good word it has 7 speeds and a supercharger.
Yes...and they're doing away with the clutch as well on the 2013. AEs only...due to popular demand.

Just what I've been looking for. A more expensive, less powerful (although not by much, admittedly,) less reliable (according to folklore,) alternative, with magical gizmos I never asked for to drive up the price.

That's what gets me about the "But this bike comes with..." or "Why can't we have that...." guys.

We can have any of that stuff, we just have to go out and get it. By doing so, we just get the stuff we actually want to have, without being bogged down by stuff we don't care about. Bike a la carte. So what if I had to buy a cruise control and install it? So what if I had to buy a headset that I could put music into? So what if I had to find a way to mount a GPS?

Even had I bought the bike new (which I didn't) and then added the stuff I have, I wouldn't have spent the money it's probably gonna take to get one of these Trophy thingies. And it has what I want on it, not what some marketing manager thinks I want.

Just what I've been looking for. A more expensive, less powerful (although not by much, admittedly,) less reliable (according to folklore,) alternative, with magical gizmos I never asked for to drive up the price.

That's what gets me about the "But this bike comes with..." or "Why can't we have that...." guys.

We can have any of that stuff, we just have to go out and get it. By doing so, we just get the stuff we actually want to have, without being bogged down by stuff we don't care about. Bike a la carte. So what if I had to buy a cruise control and install it? So what if I had to buy a headset that I could put music into? So what if I had to find a way to mount a GPS?

Even had I bought the bike new (which I didn't) and then added the stuff I have, I wouldn't have spent the money it's probably gonna take to get one of these Trophy thingies. And it has what I want on it, not what some marketing manager thinks I want.
Amen Brother!! :clapping:

Anyone jumpin ship or holding tight for the new FJR?
I thought they might be copying my 2005 FJR with some features disabled or reduced....at a higher price.

I'll be holding for the time being. I might have a few more miles to go on the FJR. (smile factor is still huge!)

DSC_4456b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Trophy is a beautiful bike, but so is my '11 FJR, and I just got it farkeled (is that really a word?) to my satisfaction. I've always lusted after Triumphs, and the new Trophy has hit all the right buttons, IMHO, but the FJR is such a delight , I just don't see me jumping ship in the forseeable future. Hell, at my age, this might be the last 2-wheel vehicle for me. Those Spyders look like just the ticket for an 80 year old. Japanese bikes may not have quite the panache as European bikes, but their performance and reliability for us middle-class schlubs are hard to beat. Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

All that has been released is a bunch of numbers and photos. Guess I never understood why some would make a purchase decision based on that vs. some real world evaluations once the actual bike comes out.
+1

I like the bike on paper, but no way would I commit to a new bike/model like that (even tho alot of it is based on proven hardware) until it's been out for a while and thoroughly tested by the LD crowd.

Besides, I've only got ~50K on my '09 - I figger it's worth another 200k or so before I need a replacement, and even then buying another '09 and transferring my farkles over would be smarter. Prolly won't be a "Gen 3" anytime soon from the looks of it.

I'm a Triumph fan (especially the triples) but will have to wait and see it in person. Also as others have stated may be a new FJR next year. I have ridden the new Triumph Explorer and really liked it...NICE engine and I really liked the cruise control.

Gary

Latest posts