Windscreen Scratched

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayven99

Reaction score
Has anyone repaired their windscreen for minor scratches? I can feel some of the scratches as I run across the windscreen. I been on Google and YouTube but like to hear some personal experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Novus Plastic Scratch Removal. They have three types, i, 2, and 3. Three is for major scratches and on down to one which is a polish. Make sure your screen is safe for use of a scratch removal compound.

On the oem windscreen any scratches will stay there for ever.It is polycarbonate and has a hard coating on.It is a waste of time trying to remove those scratches.If you try that with any product you will destroy the protective film..

Don't ask me how i know that...

The answer in my question from Novus:

Hi Michalis,

Thank you for your inquiry from our website. Normally if the windshield is coated you will have a tough time trying to get the scratches out if it has a protective film. We don’t recommended our polishes for coated surfaces and if you do use it to try in an inconspicuous area. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Again,

Dean Trocke

NOVUS Polishes

The coated scratch far less easily, and tend to hold up better than the non-coated. I have both. That said, the non coated can be polished to remove very light scratches or hazing, which occurs more frequently in non-coated shields. Both have held up pretty well for me without polishing, but I never clean a dry shield (always cover with a wet cloth to loosen up bugs/dirt for a bit before cleaning), and I never ever use paper products on a shield, or any other plastic I want to see through. Only microfiber or 100% cotton. So, for my OEM touring screen (made by National Cycle, maybe?), I'll run it until it gets jacked up and replace it. For my cee bailey barn door, which I love for winter riding, I'll novus it as necessary. I would expect the harder shield (Yamaha) to chip more easily, but it is the softer cee bailey that has a few small gravel divots. The Yamaha still looks great after beaucoup miles. Good luck with your screen.

Thanks for the info. I got two windscreens. Both have scratches and I been fixing up the bike. I hate to see the scratches when the rest of the bike looks so nice.

Is this the stock shield? You may be able to find a used one from someone who when to aftermarket. If it was gen III, I have one I'd let go of pretty reasonably.