Winter Gloves made for use with Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I have considered for the lower extremities are those heated socks that use battery power, usually one D cell per leg. That would cut back on the cordage, but is not all that eco-friendly, unless I buy some rechargeable D cells. Now there's an idea...

One thing I have considered for the lower extremities are those heated socks that use battery power, usually one D cell per leg. That would cut back on the cordage, but is not all that eco-friendly, unless I buy some rechargeable D cells. Now there's an idea...

I brought up the subject of cold feet last year after a 16*F ride to Columbus for the Ohio State/Michigan game. Lots of good stuff in this thread HERE.

I just picked up a pair of these :blink: Ski Doo snowmobile gloves. They are very comfy and have good feel of the grips. Not bulky.

They have very little insulation on the palm side so you can feel the heat from the grips and the back side of hand has a lot more unsulation to keep cold off your hands.

The fingers are aggressively precurved so they are very easy to wrap around the grips (unlike some heavier gloves).

With the thin layer on the palm side and the aggressive precurved fingers these gloves feel like I'm wearing my summer gloves. They don't feel bulky at all.

I just got them today and wore them home from work which is only 22 miles and it was 55 degrees F today so I don't know how they will do in 25 degrees yet, but I'm hoping they do well.

I'll keep you posted.

A.C.

I did try a few pairs of Yamaha snowmobile glove with about the same features (which is what I really wanted) but they were all to bulky for me . I'm sure they would be warmer though.

Well after wearing them again today I don't think they are the greatest for motorcycles <_< . They are very comfy, and good feel of the grips, but the inner and outer linings move separate from each other. I think it's from the Hipora water-proof liner that is between the inner and outer lining. It's like a bearing surface between the two. This is a problem for me on the throttle side, because when you give it throttle your hand and inner liner move but not the outer liner, so you end up using the death grip on the throttle and in short order your hand cramp up. This may be partially eliminated by using a throttle rocker but I don't know.

I guess I should have tried them out better before posting. At least I'm posting now to say "not so great".

A.C.

I just today received my FirstGear TPG Glacier Gloves that I referenced in the first post.

Wow. I'm liking the design of these gloves a lot. These gloves are advertised as being waterproof, with a full HIPORA breathable liner. But unlike the snowmobile gloves that Roadrunner just reported having grip problems with, the inner liners on these do not want to shift or slide at all. The back sides of the hands have a medium amount of insulation, but the palms have nothing more than the thin polyester jersey lining (and the HIPORA lining) between your hand and the leather palm of the glove. The grip heat should penetrate these gloves very nicely.

The gauntlets are also uninsulated, so you can wrap them tight around your arm and tuck them inside the sleeves of your jacket if you want, rather than having the gauntlet on the outside of the jacket. Having minimal insulation makes these gloves much more nimble than any other winter / waterproof gloves I've tried before.

Construction of the gloves seems first rate and the XL size fits my 9 1/2" hands perfectly.

I am guessing that these gloves will be good for cool to cold weather (maybe 40F - 65F, but may not be suitable for the true deep freeze arctic sub-zero conditions since there is no insulation in some parts of the glove. But that's OK with me as I plan on using the big ass bulky electrically heated gloves for those infrequent times when the weather is that cold and there's no white stuff on the streets (snow and salt).

I'll do a full review when I've had a chance to wear them a few times. But at this point they seem pretty good for the specific temperature range I mention above.

I was out today looking for a new helmet and ran across these gloves. They seemed to be perfect for the task. Unfortunately, the wrist opening was so small I could just barely get my hands into the gloves. Damnit!

Yeah, I noticed that too.

But I figured that would also mean that they are more likely to stay put in an unscheduled get-off. ;)

If I release both of the Velcro adjustments they go on just fine (with a good tug).

I'm guessing that will loosen up some with use.

Hi Fred,

While I am not sure if this will be what you are looking for, below is a link to the Brookstone web page. They have added a heated insole along with the heated sock liners /glove liners this year. See this link (it should open to a list of products):

https://www.brookstone.com/cold-weather-gea...ts|outerwear|s3

Hope that helps. Once it gets below 40F, around here (Westford, MA) or they start spreading salt /sand, I'll be off for the season!

Cheers, Luis

Thanks for the lead on the battery heated gear, Luis. I may go with something like that for my feet eventually.

Yesterday, since I knew this weekend's weather was going to be so wet and crappy (and seems to be living up to expectations so far), I took the day off and made a full day's ride up and through the mountains of New Hampshire. The temps were around 45 when setting out and felt like they were dropping pretty significantly as I traveled northward and to higher altitudes. This provided a great opportunity to test out the First Gear Glacier gloves that I started this thread about, recently purchased from MotorcycleSuperstore.com, and received this past week. Here are my impressions:

Yes, these a nicely made, apparently fully weatherproof, all leather touring glove. Yes, the lack of insulation on the palm does allow the heat from a set of grips to penetrate to the palms of your hands quite nicely.

But!! The lack of insulation becomes a problem when the mercury drops low. When it's really cold out the tips of your fingers and all of your thumb will get frozen even though your palms are warmed nicely by your heated grips. For that reason, I would say that these gloves are a disappointment for me.

Yes, I will keep them as I think they will make a decent waterproof rain glove to wear in the summer months, and even early in the fall or late spring when the temps are merely cool. But they are no better (maybe even worse) than my fully insulated gauntlet leather gloves I was using previously when the weather is cold. My advice is not to expect these gloves to work well at too low of an ambient temperature.

Now for the good news story: After I rode for ~ 2hours with the First Gear gloves on, and my hands were pretty well chilled out, I stopped and switched over to my heated Gerbings Snowmobile gloves. My hands went from uncomfortably chilled to roasty toasty in no time. Further impressions will be posted in this other thread I started.

And for those of you suckers that had to work yesterday, a picture from along the side of Bear Notch Road.

2690451410098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I noticed that too.
But I figured that would also mean that they are more likely to stay put in an unscheduled get-off. ;)

If I release both of the Velcro adjustments they go on just fine (with a good tug).

I'm guessing that will loosen up some with use.

If you notice that they do loosen up at the wrist, please post up. Again, these gloves seem perfect for what I am looking for, but I have to be able to get them on. Thanx.

I'll try to remember to post up how the gloves stretch out with further use. But at this point in the season these gloves may not get much more use for a while... :rolleyes:

Was wondering if you think the Firstgear TPG gloves would work out well coupled with grip heaters (on order from Yammy) for a 45 minute commute in temps down to maybe 30?

Thanks,

j

Was wondering if you think the Firstgear TPG gloves would work out well coupled with grip heaters (on order from Yammy) for a 45 minute commute in temps down to maybe 30?
Thanks,

j
Based on my experience, I'd have to say no. Because of the lack of insulation on the palm side, even with the heated grips on high, they are not good down that low. Below about 40F, for anything more than 30 minutes, I would go with heated gloves rather than just grips.

Of course, your tolerance for cold may vary...

Thanks,

j
Based on my experience, I'd have to say no. Because of the lack of insulation on the palm side, even with the heated grips on high, they are not good down that low. Below about 40F, for anything more than 30 minutes, I would go with heated gloves rather than just grips.

Of course, your tolerance for cold may vary...
I like your disclaimer..."results may vary..."

Thanks dude. My heated gloves, which I used yesterday for the first time since last winter, are really balky. Last winter I rode every day it didn't rain, sleet or snow but I was on my Can Am so the balkyness was not as big an issue. Now that I've lost a wheel (working my way down to one!) I need better feel and control so the big gloves make me nervous. I'll check back and see if you revise your answer as the winter goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

j
Not for me they don't. For those temps I use the Gerbings. They seem to work well to about 35 or so.

Thanks,

j
Not for me they don't. For those temps I use the Gerbings. They seem to work well to about 35 or so.
Well, at 25 degrees this morning my hands were freakin ice cubes. I used my Tour Bastard heated gloves but it felt like I was bare knuckling it. Note to Yamaha: Please get some heated grips over form Japan pronto!

Paying particular attention to this thread, I am on the build for some cold-weather long distance gear for the January ride.

I am quite sure I will to stay away from heated gloves and all the wires associated with it. To me it serves as another distraction to contend with (IMHO).

However 'Warchilds' FJRTech Thread spoke of his V-strom hand protectors and how they kept his fingers comfortable after riding in the mtn's @ 28 degrees.

Also, today in Sports Authority I saw some ski "Windblocker" silk gloves that will fit really good under my 'new' Field Sheer Eskimo gloves. These things read as though they will block all cold wind, with 3 different levels of protection models.

Still thinking about the heated grips from Cycle Gear for $49.00.....Trackside Deluxe Grips? Anyone use these before...they have a nice heat troller?

Paying particular attention to this thread, I am on the build for some cold-weather long distance gear for the January ride.I am quite sure I will to stay away from heated gloves and all the wires associated with it. To me it serves as another distraction to contend with (IMHO).

However 'Warchilds' FJRTech Thread spoke of his V-strom hand protectors and how they kept his fingers comfortable after riding in the mtn's @ 28 degrees.

Also, today in Sports Authority I saw some ski "Windblocker" silk gloves that will fit really good under my 'new' Field Sheer Eskimo gloves. These things read as though they will block all cold wind, with 3 different levels of protection models.

Still thinking about the heated grips from Cycle Gear for $49.00.....Trackside Deluxe Grips? Anyone use these before...they have a nice heat troller?
I can't survive at less than 30F without the heated gloves (I have heated grips and hand guards as well). The wires aren't too bad if you have the jacket to plug them into. It's somewhat of a pain without the jacket but not too bad.

Fred, sounds like you got the Gerbings Classics which were bulky.... I have the Gerbings G3's which are thin, but not warm enough at under 40F for me. I've been reading about the Warm & Safe heated gloves which are insulated and heated on the back with no insulation on the palms so heat can transfer from the grips........ might be the way to go.