Winter Layup south of North Carolina?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmm. No. Ride twelve months, although some rides require longjohns and insulated gloves. Never had heated gear, but I hear the 2015s have heated grips.

And we are indeed south of North Carolina.

Sand and salt, man i thought i was done with that! no thanks, they can keep that craziness up north
smile.png
it's sneaky how slippery that stuff is and besides i feel that i need to rinse off right after a ride with salt. grrr i motorcycle don't like salt.

Yep, sand is as slippery as dry leaves or pine needles -- two other autumn road hazards in the Southland.

Yep, sand is as slippery as dry leaves or pine needles -- two other autumn road hazards in the Southland.
Yeah, I saw some stuff on US 176 on the twisty parts, but it was hard to see with the late afternoon sun in the eyes. I was not wicking it up though...just enjoying the adventure on new roads without a gps installed...seeing if I could remember my way home. ;-)

I'm gonna try to ride every month down here. I understand that is possible. Had a fun little ride today just in the foothills...had a great time. Good stress reliever on some lightly travelled curvy country roads.
You're going to wonder why you waited so long to move down.

I ride more in the winter than the hot sticky summer.

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna try to ride every month down here. I understand that is possible. Had a fun little ride today just in the foothills...had a great time. Good stress reliever on some lightly travelled curvy country roads.
You're going to wonder why you waited so long to move down.

I ride more in the winter than the hot sticky summer.

smile.png
Same here in Zonieland, I put many more miles on the motos from October to April than from May to September here in the Sonoran Desert ese! HOT and STICKY, just the way Russ and Papa Chuy like our women! JSNS!

sandiego.jpg

I was ready to move six years ago. However, wifey and I agreed to move after the youngest was out of high school. Graduated on a Saturday. Moved on a Wednesday. Mission accomplished.

Went for for a winter ride today, 62 degrees. That sucked as I had to stop and unzip one of the liners in jacket. Not only that but there was bug guts all over my helmet face shield as I went on one curvy country road after another. Had to stop again and clean off the bug guts. WTF, winter in SC sucks.

Oh well...

I live not far from you in Lenoir and average Jan/Feb high temp is around 50 degrees which means every so often you get a really nice day, or at least afternoon, for riding. There's no off-season, just some months that are better than others.

Okay...I was out riding last night. 41 degrees, 15mph winds, it was fuqin glorious. Today is snow and rain, so last night was kinda like a necessity. We do this stuff cause we like to ride....think of yourself like concrete, 40 degrees and raising and you're good to go.

a bit chilly this morning. so far the extended forecast looks okay. my first winter here so..
You'll have at least 10 riding days in December; and probably at least 10 in Jan and Feb unless it rains a lot. March is iffy (storms) and then ... glorious Springtime!

The Southland rocks, eastern5; welcome to your (brrrr!) first winter here.

There's about a half dozen of us in the area that ride all year. Or at least till there's snow or ice on the road.

Coming from the New England area, it is gods country down here as far as the weather goes. Even the traffic at rush hour is no where's near as bad as it was up there!

With a little electric heat you should be able to ride right thru the winter.

I'm up in huntersville, where are you?

The last several years I have had no problem riding every month of the year, and I am considerably north of North Carolina. This past weekend highs were right about 40, and the roads were nice and dry. Yeah, there were a few snow banks around, so what? Try not to hit them I guess. ;)

I will be taking the ManStrom out on these winter time rides this year, to try and prolong the beauty of my '14 ES. The old '05 used to get taken out in the slush often. ;)

Last Sunday, while out grabbing warm-up bonuses (Gas Price signs) for the Big Money Rally:

20141214185602-photo-573x768.jpg

No bugs at all. And my arm doesn't get tired from waving at other riders.

In the Montana Rockies (where -40 is not unusual) I rode twice in December and twice in January last season, once in December (last Friday) so far this year. But these are exceptions. Climate change is real as in the past Nov.-Feb. riding was out of the question. There are certainly more hazards in the "off season" - slick de-icer (and what it does to metal), sand and sudden frost/ice in shaded canyon corners. Here's another: cagers who do not expect to see bikes on the road have put them out of their consciousness - out of mind, out of sight. As far as a "lay-up" regimen goes, use a Battery Tender and pigtail, put Seafoam in the tank, use a cover (optional). When you get that warm day, you're good to go.

By the way, the coldest temp ever recorded in the Lower Forty-Eight was at a mining camp on Rogers Pass west of Great Falls, Mont., in 1957 - minus 70 degrees. What is not known is how hard the wind was blowing that day. Talk about wind-chill! Your nostrils freeze shut if you inhale through them. Your pee crackles as it freezes before it hits the ground. As my German extraction father would have said, "That's Gott Damn cold!"

My wife and I were married 31 years ago yesterday. Record Cold swept through Chicago that same night.

Our honeymoon...nearby Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Ja, es war sehr kalt!

We liked this year much betterer!