Winter Layup south of North Carolina?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got an inch of snow...very windy and the power was out...so we went to Stax for breakfast. Power's back on, which is good as it's fricken 42 degrees down here. What is this crap!
It Karma Mark!
cold.gif

My wife and I were married 31 years ago yesterday. Record Cold swept through Chicago that same night.Our honeymoon...nearby Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Ja, es war sehr kalt!We liked this year much betterer!
Congrats on making it 31 years Mark. Hope you did something special.

My wife and I were married 31 years ago yesterday. Record Cold swept through Chicago that same night.Our honeymoon...nearby Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Ja, es war sehr kalt!We liked this year much betterer!

Well, clearly he did, Joe. Otherwise she wouldn't have stayed with him all these years. ;)

Well, clearly he did, Joe. Otherwise she wouldn't have stayed with him all these years. ;)
Fred...I think we're all pretty lucky to have made it as long as we have.

Well, we have three kids that look vaguely like me...so I've gotten lucky at least three times.

Yesterday, we ordered Chinese takeout. Awesome food. That was good enough for wifey. She doesn't need fancy things obviously...and that's the secret to my success. My wife has low expectations.

But back to a winter layup south of NC...I'm kind of new to all this. Do you need Stabil or other treatments in your gas if you ride a couple times minimum out of every month of the year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, we ordered Chinese takeout. Awesome food. That was good enough for wifey. She doesn't need fancy things obviously...and that's the secret to my success. My wife has low expectations.
laugh.png

But back to a winter layup south of NC...I'm kind of new to all this. Do you need Stabil or other trwatments in your gas if you ride a couple times minimum out of every month of the year?
Nah... If you'll be refueling every month no need for the stinky Stabil. But if you won't be using the bike for 3 months or more, I'd use it then.

Mark, I've never put that stuff in my tank, up here...why would you need it down there?
Up in Wheaton I would generally be bikeless from some time in November until March or April. Too much salt on the roads...combined with roads straight as a line for hours surrounding the vicinity.

I blame my parents(RIP) for settling in Wheaton and not anticipating my motorcycling needs.
wink.png

That has since been rectified.
biggrin.png

Wheat man, congrats on 31. Lucky for us our wives are getting to the point it's more work to train a new one than keep the one you have.

I use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer (see label) in full tanks of gas.This way it may also help clean the fuel system next ride I figure if the machine is going to sit a month or longer which really applies more to my dualsports and small engines. Anything with a fuel petcock gets turned off and the carb run dry before storage.

The Hippo and KTM rarely sit that long so they get seafoam once in a while just to help clean the fuel system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going for a ride today. It's supposed to get all the way up to 34 degrees. You guys suck.
Enjoy your ride Phil, if you want to pickup that front tire. I'll be home all day.
Damn! An actual destination would have been nice. I just rode around the city a bit and went home.

I suppose not but being that I am super paranoid about alcohol, I add some fuel treatment in during times of less ridden. Little money invested in enzyme
smile.png