Wiring for Gen III Headlight Relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'm wondering if these LCUs are part of the LED system, starting with the '16 FJRs...."

I checked a '15 FJR at the dealers today and they don't have these LCUs. It looks like the LCUs are an

entirely new component that's part of the LED system on the '16s.

Yes, the LCU is new for the '16. It remains to be seen if these are coupled with the Inertial Measure Unit just for the lean angle illumination or if they also contain power supplies for the LED lighting as well.

Some people say that they have been told that the electrical system of the '16 is backwards, there may be some truth to this.

The power supplies everyone is familiar with are 'voltage regulated', the output is set for 12 volts and the circuit regulates to 12 volts no matter how the current varies. With LEDs, they are ideally 'current regulated' where the current for an LED array would be fixed at say, 1.5 amps, and that is what is supplied to illuminate the LEDs, letting the voltage run free and vary as it may. This may be part of the function of the LCU, to feed regulated current to the LEDs and manage the brightness this way.

Right now I'm making laser diode power supplies (first kin to LEDs) and the power supplies may only be 2 to 10 volts but the laser diodes are set at, and highly regulated to 100 amps, 250 amps, 800 amp; some specific number that is determined by the laser diode specs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did call Clearwater and I was told the same thing; they don't have any photos/diagrams/instructions for the Gen III.
Not surprising since the 2016 has been out for about a week and is significantly different than previous years when it comes to LED lighting...at least for the ES. And I'm not sure there's a service manual out yet.

Do you have a 2016? Your profile still shows a 2007.

If so, we could REALLY use some help and determine where and what color the trigger wire is for the lighting. You know your way around a multi-meter?

Has anyone figured out which wire to tap into for high beam trigger on the 2016's yet?

Latest posts