With great regret I am hanging up my boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham,

Only you can make that decision and we will all respect it. I value the friendship we have formed and hope that this won't keep you away.

I'm the same age with 40 years on dirt bikes riding and racing. I gave up the dirt for similar reasons, three stays in the hospital convinced me that at my age the forth was going to be worse. I just started hating to ride and wishing the race or ride would be over. I tried three times to give it up, three new bikes later it has been a year now and I'm over it. Good luck and I understand what you're going through, wish I would have respected my feelings, would have saved me some broken bones and a week in the hospital.

Domenic
It must be a continuim of sorts; After soo many dirt injuries, and not one street related reahab time, I'm committed to win the +50 OTMX cheap plastic trophy. Lord knows I don't know why; I've been so busted up I couldn't see, feel, or hear, yet again I want. Someday, Graham, you may feel the urge too, to simply ride. Until then, let it go.

Graham, good to hear that you're doing it for your own reasons. That's the best way.....yet, but I admire and respect your decision. Go in peace....
Toe, somehow, as ineloquent as he is, has a certain, uh, penchant for stating the obvious. Toe, if you ever decide not to ride, I'll have to seriously consider too. Ok, I'm over it - I guess I don't care, in regards to me :rolleyes: . Graham, that's the dichotomy; live to ride or ride to die? No easy way to couch the words - for me the, in my environment, the risk is so much less than the reward(s).

Like many others, I've had to face life without racing or adopt a very altered life with surgery and severe risks. Mental "injuries" are certainly just as real and can be just as impossible to overcome. If your mind is no longer on the ride, it's definitely time to get off.
Take a break and give time a chance to either erode the fears or cement the decision. Too bad you are so far from the Blue Ridge Mountains. I know lots of places that would change your mind.
Jeff, AMEN bro. Even after all the pain, and injuries, I still can. Looks like I have no excuse. You know exactly what I mean, won't explain it to others.

As feejer's wife I have to say that I am extremely sad about this decision, however, I have told him that however much I love to be on the bike this is his decision and I will go with whatever he decides. We had a pan european a few years back which we sold because we never seemed to have the time to ride it. A year later we decided we missed the riding too much and bought another one and have had a bike ever since. I understand what feej's reasons are as my youngest is only 9 years old! :( :(

Stay safe everyone...............you're a great bunch of people :)

Feejer -

Sorry to hear of your decision, but as with others here, I absolutely respect it.

Also sorry we missed out on our Welsh trip, perhaps you were already having doubts. I was looking forward to doing it another time, but such is life.

I honestly don't think age as such is an issue, I am coming up to 66, and I'm still healthy enough to ride as safely as many younger riders (but only thanks to Yamaha's electric clutch!).

I'm having another Scottish tour next week, so far I'm hoping it won't be my last, but we shall see.

Anyway, *when* you decide to come back to the fold, let us know!

Cheers for now, and good luck with whichever way your (and Mrs Feejer's) life progresses.

PS. My son's just passed his CBT, going for his full licence in July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Others are right -- you have to go with your gut on this. And when it isn't fun anymore, it's not worth it.

I hope we still see you around here, bike or no. Your humor and insights are always appreciated. And that aren't that many of us on this forum who like to talk racing.

To me, though, you're still a kid (well, okay, so I'm one year older). There's a lot of time to ride again if your gut sense of things ever changes.

Thanks to all for the support. What a great crowd of people frequent this board.

I am really sad to be making this decision, but feel that it's the right one at this point in time. Leaving the bike sat there waiting for me to change my mind seems to be an illogical option really. I have given it much thought and have not come to the decision easily. Events over the last couple of weeks and yesterday's escapade have reinforced my thinking and spurred me on to take the step.

If, after going through this process, we did give it another whirl and something happened how would I feel then?

Of all the bikes I have owned the FJR is by far the best. I am just glad that I have had the experience.

I have no intention of leaving this forum and will try my best not to irritate the mods by over-posting non FJR stuff.

Best regards to everyone, ride safe Graham.

If I couldn't lane-share, I would be in a Saabaru. The frustration of the occasional foray into neighboring states is overwhelming. Luckily, the Feejer is outstanding at passing lines of cars and other states don't have as much traffic.
California Rocks!
Since the last attempt to get lane sharing okayed ended up tabled, it's a good thing I have this then, eh?

bestest is to also have the fjr 2.

Relatively new here but I sure look forward to your racing posts in particular. I certainly echo all who've supported your hard decision as I came very close to having to hang the boots up also. Please continue to regale us with your unique perspective on motorcycle racing. Good luck in your endeavors.

As feejer's wife I have to say that I am extremely sad about this decision, however, I have told him that however much I love to be on the bike this is his decision and I will go with whatever he decides. We had a pan european a few years back which we sold because we never seemed to have the time to ride it. A year later we decided we missed the riding too much and bought another one and have had a bike ever since. I understand what feej's reasons are as my youngest is only 9 years old! :( :(
Stay safe everyone...............you're a great bunch of people :)
Bikerbabe, I HAVE to ask the obvious...

How does he feel about riding bitch??? :) (just kidding of course)

My youngest is eleven and I'm a single parent. Some people consider what I do reckless and irresponsible. Some people know my family history and know that my family has been riding for generations.

I would stress to you that some of the absolute BEST memories I have are of the Sunday afternoon rides on the back of the bike with my Father. Riding dirt and "pushing the envelope" my entire life is what made me who I am today.

My Dad passed away many years ago. My Mom will soon turn 80. Here's a picture you may not have seen that was taken about a year ago. I call it "Motorcycle Generations". My (then) 78-year old Mom jumped right on the back of my bike. "Just don't go too fast with me son!" she said. I just smiled at her. :) Don't let the background bother you. I grew up beside a graveyard.

Don't let your motorcycle legacy fade for anything but all the right reasons. Only you can decide what those are.

Find your balance, whatever it takes.

MotorcycleGenerations.jpg

I can relate to what you're going through. I'm at about the same age and have been riding for 40+ years. Due to the high density of traffic in my area, many times my riding experiences aren't that fun - and they seem to be more of an exercise of 'how do I stay alive in amongst all the terrible drivers out there.' Actually, every time I get on one of my machines - if someone doesn't cut me off, or pull out in front of me... I'm sort of surprised! But I haven't thrown in the towel yet. I just carefully pick my riding times and places carefully, and try to stack the odds in my favor the best I can. Also on occasion I tow my bikes to less dense (two meanings there) area, where riding is a lot more fun.

SR-71

I must ad that I respecxt anyone who makes a decision not stop riding, for good, or for a few years.

Riding is a very personal experience, all people are different. Each has their own experience.

I cannot begin to know the Hazards of Riding in the UK. I do get the impression that the threats on the road we all face are amplified over there due to the very nature of traffic.

It is your decision, It was made with a clear head. I respect it greatly, and if you ever change your mind and have antoher go at it. I respect that too.

Be at peace... You are always wecome........

Thanks to all for the support. What a great crowd of people frequent this board.
Right on! I am so impressed that this (generally) completely irreverent group of malcontents can suck it up to respond so constructively and positively to what was obviously a wrenching decision. Did someone spike the Kool-Aid?!

Only 42 years of riding experience here so I don't have much to add to what has already been said so well, except: I do strongly believe that anytime you are riding without your head and your heart being 100% "in it" you are a danger to yourself, to Bikerbabe, and even to the BDC's.

When I read your report of your fight back home from the races through snow and sleet (with pictures), I will confess that my first thought was "his balls must be so big they clang when he walks!" Living in the colonies as I do I have considerable experience with the white stuff and consider it mutually exclusive from my love of spending time on 2 wheels.

Trust your guts on this Graham (as you obviously are) and if your desire to ride comes back sometime in the future and it feels right, then trust your guts then too.

Good luck and I will look forward to your continuing contributions here.

No problem. If you're head isn't into it, then you heart won't be either. and that's not safe.

I'm a bit older than you, but haven't ridden enuf years at this point, only about 15 total.

No idea what your traffic is like, here in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex, it's bad, but 5 minutes in the opposite direction, I'm out in the country.

Over here in the colonies, we do have a bit more room to ride, that makes a big difference.

Take care.

Mary

Well Graham, I've also had many close calls, and have considered hanging up my lid as well. You have my respect in making this decision, and voicing it to this forum. It's odd, when you're younger and have your whole life in front of you, the risk isn't even a concern. As we get older / wiser, we take the risk more seriously, and in some cases decide the risk isn't worth it. Please do hang around the forum... your insight into racing and inside information is very much appreciated.

Well Graham, I've also had many close calls, and have considered hanging up my lid as well. You have my respect in making this decision, and voicing it to this forum. It's odd, when you're younger and have your whole life in front of you, the risk isn't even a concern. As we get older / wiser, we take the risk more seriously, and in some cases decide the risk isn't worth it. Please do hang around the forum... your insight into racing and inside information is very much appreciated.
I often wonder when I might get to the point I feel the risk isn't worth it. I'm lucky in the respect I have a lot of space with a lot less traffic than in some locales, but there is a significant difference nowadays. Forty years ago, heck, a lot less than that-you would talk about a close call. Now they are so routine they are not even mentioned. Times have changed.

When I hit my 30's and the family started, I stopped riding and parked the bike. I guess too many people aiming at me on the road. When my brother in law passed away at 41, I decided to have a midlife crisis early with my wife and get the bike I have always wanted. I love to ride and this is all about living while I am alive.

Sounds like you have lived long and with heart, and at 50 your ready for the next obsession. Oh, and take the misses along... :p

Feejer, I hung it up in the early 90's. One kiddling starting college, another one two years behind her, cash was getting tight. I had my old Vulcan I wasn't riding much any more, just not as enjoyable as it once was. . So along with other toys I had a big garage sale, Bike, Boat, and tools.

Fast forward a decade. on a dark and stormy night the bike bug stuck into my room and bite me hard. Went out and bought a new Vulcan, then an FJR for longer rides, then the Vulcan wasn't enough, traded for a VFR, and thats the way it goes.

Park the boots by the fireplace to keep them warm, ya never know, and don't sell the tools. the people at Harbor Freight all greet me by name when I walk tru the door. :)

One of the best ways to "keep your toes in the moto pool" was already mentioned here. Find an old, lightweight 70's bike to restore as a hobby/project. Even if you decide to simply sell it (or keep it for your child as a project of love) when it's done, you will still get much of the satisfaction and fulfillment of a job well done. The old bike show circuit may be a very enjoyable way to share this new passion with a new circle of friends, too.

I know of a local man who does not ride, but, has a serious hobby of restoring pristine Honda monkey bikes and SL70s. His logic is that he is able to keep his hands busy, makes a nice little side income for his time, and most importantly, it gives him great satisfaction handing the keys to others after completion, even though he knows few of his restorations will ever see the dirt trails again. My wife enjoys riding pillion with me on my FJR, and, while she would not ride even a bicycle on her own, she enjoys riding ATVs when we gets the chance (she is your age). Sometimes a change of venue is all that is required.

I am sure you are making the correct decision based on your current set of circumstances. Who knows what the future holds?

I honor your choice not to continue the life travel from a motorcycle seat. I am 57, in good health, have a wonderful family and look forward to retirement within a few years. I too ponder the fact that one day I will weigh the cost of riding to the point where I will hang up the helmet and walk away. You know, as I do, that riding is in your blood whether you like or not. Be prepared to feel that pull in your heart when a motorcycle goes gliding by. Stay strong and of good cheer. I support you and good luck. Peace.

Snowman