With great regret I am hanging up my boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each of us has to do what we are comfortable doing. I do not ride in NYC traffic nor would I but I do commute to work on a busy three lane. The bike is so steady and handles so well I feel safe on it. By the same token, I keep as far from cars as I can and always know who is behind me and how far etc. I am 66, also fly light planes and lots of friends think I am a big risk taker. I really don't feel like a big risk taker since I fly in weather that is challenging but not worse than I should be able to handle. I still am smiling every time I come back from flying or riding my 06 FJR. Kids are all on their own, no mortgage and God forbid I died tomorrow (I have no such plans) life has treated me well. You have expressed very well why you have given up riding for now and time will tell if and how much you miss it. Enjoy every day. One never knows when the last one will come. I am an MD and see more horrible things than people in some other areas of work. Every day of good health and fun is a gift. Hopefully we will all have lots more of them. Feejer222, enjoy your retirement from riding but perhaps there may yet be another bike in your future.

Hey Feejer, I'm going to be 64 in a couple of months, and I just bought a new FJR about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure that it will be my last bike, as I hope it will last me as long as my last bike. .. An '81 XJ750 Yamaha I bought new. I tried, for about 3 months to tell myself that I was old enough that I just ought to hang it up, but the thought of not riding anymore just left a big "pit" in my heart. Maybe I just stopped growing, intellectually, when I was 18, and just aren't smart enough to know when enough is enough. I just kind of figured out, a few years ago, when my house got hit by a landslide, and a big madronna tree came blasting through my back wall, missing me by about 18", that your safety isn't even guaranteed in your own home, so. . . What the heck; might as well indulge in my taste for bikes! I do, however, try to strap on my paranoia along with my helmet, every time I climb on, and I keep my eyes open for "the way out"! Hope you never regret your decision, but if you figure out that it was the wrong move, it's never too late to change your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Feejer, I'm going to be 64 in a couple of months, and I just bought a new FJR about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure that it will be my last bike, as I hope it will last me as long as my last bike. .. An '81 XJ750 Yamaha I bought new. I tried, for about 3 months to tell myself that I was old enough that I just ought to hang it up, but the thought of not riding anymore just left a big "pit" in my heart. Maybe I just stopped growing, intellectually, when I was 18, and just aren't smart enough to know when enough is enough. I just kind of figured out, a few years ago, when my house got hit by a landslide, and a big madronna tree came blasting through my back wall, missing me by about 18", that your safety isn't even guaranteed in your own home, so. . . What the heck; might as well indulge in my taste for bikes! I do, however, try to strap on my paranoia along with my helmet, every time I climb on, and I keep my eyes open for "the way out"! Hope you never regret your decision, but if you figure out that it was the wrong move, it's never too late to change your mind.

Good for you Beacher! You have figured out the secret to a happy life.... want it, anticipate it, work for it, then do it! Wear that PPE and get out there and keep riding! I'm almost 53, so unless I have some health issues later, I plan to still be riding once I catch up to your age. So be safe and enjoy the excitement!! Joe

Good for you Feejer.

I often think about this. I contemplate my next hobby for when I quit this dangerous one. Tired if hearing the words "he died doing what he loved". I love riding but then again I've loved other things in life too. So what's next for you? Flyfishing? Pilot? Golf?

Good for you Feejer.
I often think about this. I contemplate my next hobby for when I quit this dangerous one. Tired if hearing the words "he died doing what he loved". I love riding but then again I've loved other things in life too. So what's next for you? Flyfishing? Pilot? Golf?
I already fish whenever I can, as does my wife and all the kids so it looks like there will be more time given to that. Not as exciting, but very relaxing.

Feejer, I respect your decision immensely. I had similar thoughts after my last little adventure into the weeds. I stayed off for 3 years and the wife could tell I was miserable so she bought me another bike. But........... I hope I can leave on my terms when the time comes. Enjoy.

Glenn