With great regret I am hanging up my boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feejer222,

I wish you the best. Life is about personal decisions and this is one only you can make.

Take care and I wish you well.

WW

I am genuinely moved by the sincerety of the posts in reply to this thread. I would like to answer each one sepreately but there are too many. Please all be aware that I am very grateful for your considered and honest opinions, it has meant a lot to me and definitely made me feel better about this.

Some of you may be right when you say 'he'll be back'. Maybe if we move out to the sticks in 10 years or so. But for now I'm done with road riding, and feel greatly relieved (as well as sad), for making the decision.

Thankyou once again, you are a great bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
As one Graham to another I respect your "gut feeling ". You ride the road ahead and that is different from eveyone else's . I fully understand I am 48 and returtned to ridding a few years ago ,I also understand haveing young ones as mine are 8 & 10 . You are responsible for them so you must be there ,but do not stop living like I did for years ,the thing that really snapped me out of it was getting told I may not make my test resuts ( Cancer ) . You never knoiw when your number is up ,so remember to live . I ask you to think about a bit more before you sell your bike ,in fact I think the roads and drivers are the main reason along with losing a friend (also Farkles ) . I would suggest if you have the money how about a few weeks down under riding on our roads after all it is the same side we ride on . I may even lend you my bike ,you never know how I feel , if not you can buy a bike then resell it for about the same money .

Whatever you do, do it with style and class,I for one do not question someone who has riden then chooses to stop ,for they are your reasons

Mate, good on ya. Knowing when to hang up the gloves and helmet for the last time is something I hope I have the wisdom to do when I get to that point in my life. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do to replace riding. Whether you come back to the two wheeled road or continue life without it, you have my respect and admiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same reason Cougar turned in his wings -- "kids sir, I almost orphaned em today." Then Maverick almost bought the farm.

Best of luck to you!!!

Only the person making the decision is in tune with their own mind. Age doesn't have anything to do with it. After 40 years of riding I figured I was pretty lucky. To celebrate and to complement my FJR, I bought a new Ducati Monster S4RS for the 100 -200 mile rides. I will be 70 next birthday.

Only the person making the decision is in tune with their own mind. Age doesn't have anything to do with it. After 40 years of riding I figured I was pretty lucky. To celebrate and to complement my FJR, I bought a new Ducati Monster S4RS for the 100 -200 mile rides. I will be 70 next birthday.
+1 A totally personal decision.

It is one of the major ironies of life that young guys are totally fearless and older guys more fearful.

If anything, the older you get, the bolder you should get. I mean, you have less and less to lose, right?

But it never seems to work out that way...

I don't know about that "lose" part. You bust your ass working, raising kids and finally retire. Now you can ride 3 times a week, ride in the rockies, all over Europe, etc. I am more careful today than ever.

I personally never judge a person for making this chioce, in many ways I wish I could make that choice.

-keep in touch dude!

I'm still waiting for the big.....

"PSYCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I was just joshing.....Man, you guys are a bunch of big ol sappy knicker bockers!"

not to be too pendantic but, the attitude and "work" of being hyperaware of other drivers and making sure to avoid one's own moronic potential shouldn't change just because one is in a cage instead on on the bike. the same survival habits for bikers are even more necessary in the cage since you're not thin enough to fit between cars when the crap hits the fan.

I've only been riding for four years now (daily commute plus technical canyon carving on occasional weekends) but in my after high school days weekends were often spent proving a properly driven 4 cylinder can outrun a V8 in most any situation. No it wasn't the smartest thing or even very legal, but high speed situational awareness and techniques to predict driver reactions are abilities that have kept me accident free in all vehicles since I started driving before I was sixteen.

In fact, I find myself even *more* paranoid and stressed when in the cage-I know I don't have the handling I need, the accelleration or braking the FJR provides as "tools" to avoid accidents or situations that arise in normal speed limit Bay Area commuting. My old Shelby Turbo feels absolutely wobbly on the grooved pavement here and the braking feels absolutely primitive. I get into my Olds minivan and I feel like I'm in a pedal car-plus there's all these blind spots...

I guess the stories about folks feeling the need to stop riding scare me. I only started riding 4 years ago, does this mean I only have another 40 years of riding to go? :(

Graham, I too did this about 1996 after too many close calls and a person outright gunning for me one day on the freeway. I came home shaking and swore I would never ride again. The second I sold the bike, I knew I would miss it. 2004 I bought a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and last year traded up to my 2006 FJR1300AE. I still have to watch the moron's out there and avoid becoming one myself by losing my cool in a tough situation, but I am glad to be back in the saddle.
Take your time, but as MadMike said, it might be worth hanging on to the FEEJ for a month or so to see if it is a passing phase. Either way, go with you gut and stay safe no matter what you drive or do. B)

Graham, many good things said here, and I agree that when you decide, it's right for you. Don't go missing - we appreciate your company and your racing comments.

Where you ride has alot to do with the pleasure you derive from it. If I had to ride in a large metro or industrial area, I would not ride nealy as much as I do here in New Mexico. I really can't see any fault in your desision to quit riding in the area you live in, I wouldn't. Keep in touch with us!

Hmmmmmmm? Best of luck in what ever you decide. I'm 51 years old and riding is a part of me. I'll ride till I die or can't ride any longer and I'll still wish I could even when I can't.

Like others I can respect any choice and man makes. You are the only one that can make it. The miracle of life is birth it's self. After we are born it's guaranteed we will all die someday. I only want to live knowing that I lived doing what pleases me and significant others. If the joy is gone then the need to do it perishes.

Ride on my brother ride on!!!!!!!!!

Your feelings are your personal experiences telling you what might happen. Not what will happen. All of us have to deal with this as we get "older". My enjoyment of riding consumes a high percentage of my mental process during the act of riding, but a significant part of my brain is always asking me "why?". The "why" portion is always concerned about safety, pain, the other guy, whats around the curve, whats in the curve, the guy behind, the guy in front, the truck thats close, the dead deer on the shoulder....you know. But is that not what motorcycling is all about?

Motorcyclists are above average in coordination, ability to process information, and propensity for risk. Certainly there are a few that are on the left side of the bell curve, but for the most part, I believe we are quite unique in our skills and passion

The best ambassadors for all motorcyclists world-wide are those individuals, like yourself, that have a gold mine of experiences and ideas to share. Because of your experiences, you know what would make the ride better and safer. You know how to communicate to other riders, and to the general public. Maybe that can be something to consider if you want to take a break from the road for a bit.

While you are pondering your decision, which I fully support by the way, consider what your life will be like post-motorcycle. IF you have no regrets, then you have probably chosen wisely.

May fortune and blessings come your way.

I'm not sure if I'd be riding in heavy urban traffic either. Of course a cage in heavy urban traffic isn't much fun either. Good luck to you and stay in touch.

Hey Graham,

Cant really add much to what OUR bretheren have already stated with so much candor and clarity...unusual enough for us erudite malcontents of mayhem and malfeasance! I cant get to a computer very often but during race season your posts are the first I checked, even before my own e-mail. You are a trusted friend who shared with us less media rich, without reservation and often added great insight and pics and stuff. I very much respect your decision and am delighted you will continue to be amongst us.

I have been "on the road" for 33 years and riding for 38 and after 9 heart attacks, 10 bypasses and full disability at 43 ( my FJR even has disabled plates!) I am the asshole that probably should quit riding but honestly it is in fact the ass clenchers that keep me going. Its a personal decision and I personaly would rather be taken out on my bike than have another greedy SUV driving group of overpaid elitists experiment on me further ! Just tryin' to keep the Karma balanced here dontcha know !

Having the courage to follow your gut is very brave indeed. Thanks again for your wonderful contributions to this site and our little piece of existance !

Much Love,

Blessings,

Bobby

I haven't been to this board in months, but here I am tonight, and this is the thread I clicked on. It kind of touched a chord with me, as three weeks ago I wrecked my bike. It was my first wreck ever on the street. I am not completely sure what happened to cause the accident, but I have no one to blame but myself. Anyway, since then I have been thinking about riding and safety quite a bit. Even more so because my 20 year old son is taking the MSF course and plans to buy a bike.

Here's how the accident has affected me.

1. More gear conscious. I had on a very good, but expensive helmet. Even though money is tight, I bought another just like it. The one I was wearing served me well. I also bought a jacket with more armor. I was wearing a jacket, but without armor. The armor will be on me from now on, even in the heat here in Florida. I am also trying to figure out what to do about riding pants. My jeans actually held up pretty good, considering all I have heard about them not being worth anything in an accident. I was pretty rash free, but I did get a bruised up on my hip where I landed. Kevlar would not have helped that, only something with padding. Like I said, still thinking about that.

2. More humble. I have always thought of myself as a good, safe rider. Yet, I found myself in a situation where I had to brake at a panic level and I did not maintain control of my bike. I should not have been in a panic braking situation, but once I was I still could have avoided the accident if I had maintained better control of my motorcycle. It turns out I am not the hotshot rider I thought I was.

3. More concerned about taking a passenger with me. Wrecking with just me on the bike was bad enough. I am not sure I want to take any passengers with me right now. I have not expressed this to my wife yet. She doesn't ride with me often, but she does on occasion and I have to decide whether I am ok with her with me right now. I never worried about it at all in the past.

4. I still know I want to ride. I admit to being a bit nervous right now, but I still want to ride. I really miss it, as my bike is in the shop and will be for several more weeks waiting for parts.

So, Feej, I understand your concern. I ride because I enjoy it. If I didn't I wouldn't. I don't see why anyone would. OK, gas is getting worse, but with the other expenses of owning a bike, I am not sure how much I really save on gas compared to a cheap econo car.

Be safe out there.

Dan

Graham,Only you can make that decision and we will all respect it. I value the friendship we have formed and hope that this won't keep you away.
I quit once for a few years when my kids were born for similar reasons. I made a deal with the Lord in a few milliseconds of terror that if I lived through it I would not ride again. But I could not stand it after a while and after thinking through it with him in few quiet moments, I felt he would be OK with my retracting my oath. That was 20 years ago...and clearly he agreed with my decision. Counting those few years off, I have been riding 50 years and just couldn't feel right without it.

Still, I worry once in a while, but...

Love my FJR AE and the wind in my face.

motorcycle-ed