Witnesses for 50 CC April 10-12?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCC%20JPEG_zpsasarbpba.jpg
L to R: griff, Uncle Hud, rpm, RFlagg42. We're smiling because the last 60 minutes were downhill from 4,200 feet, in the dark, in the rain, at 42F, at freeway speeds on an unfamiliar roadway .... and we made it anyway.

PS: Anybody that complains about spending money on Gore-Tex gear has never experienced an LD ride in the rain or cold.

On my return trip, I stopped for two Harley riders parked on the shoulder of the highway going the other direction. "Y'all OK?" I shouted as I held up my hand with an OK sign.

"Yep, just changing into our rain gear," came the shouted response. "Is it as bad as it looks?" he asked, pointing in the direction from whence I had come.

I thought about my 8 hours of drizzle and rain in Louisiana and thus far through Mississippi. "Yeah. Lots of rain. Some of it pretty heavy," was my reply. I watched as they pulled out a Dallas Cowboy nylon windbreaker and a puffy hi-vis jacket that looked as waterproof as a t-shirt.

I nodded, resumed my way homeward, and thought, "Now there are two guys who will soon understand why companies like Klim and Aerostich remain in business."

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of my OCD products that turned out to make everybody happy: gas stops planned out at 200 mile intervals. Relieved any anxiety regarding running out of gas and provided a schedule to reassure us that we were making adequate progress. (Next time, exit numbers. And Time Zone corrections.)

Note the shorter distances between Kerrville, Ozona, Fort Stockton, and Van Horn. Faster speeds = lower gas mileage. Sometimes dramatically lower gas mileage, like less than 20 mpg.

50CC, April 2016 NO TIME ZONE ADJUSTMENTS!

Start: GATE gas station Jacksonville Beach - 06:00

Sun, 10 miles to mins to arrival time dwell
Tallahassee Shell 180 2:30 08:30 0:10
Pensacola Kangaroo 193 2:45 11:25 0:30
Hammond Racetrac 205 3:00 14:55 0:10
Vinton Love's 192 2:45 17:50 0:30
Columbus Shell 192 2:30 20:50 0:10
Quality Inn Kerrville 183 2:30 23:30 6:30
Total: 1,145 17:30

Mon, 11 start: 6:00
Ozona Stripes 143 2:00 08:00 0:10
Ft Stockton Flying J 107 1:30 09:40 0:10
Van Horn Pilot 119 1:30 11:20 0:10
Las Cruces Pilot 166 2:20 13:50 0:30
Willcox Travel Center 190 2:45 17:05 0:10
Gila Bend Love's 208 3:00 20:15 0:30
Yuma Circle K 113 1:30 22:15 0:10
Ocean Beach Shell 175 2:30 00:55 0:10
Rodeway Inn Stadium 10 0:15 01:20
Total: 1,231 19:20

Grand Total: 2,376 36:50

Home safe this afternoon. Had a great time with three great guys. But...... I wouldn't do another 50 CC. Been there, done that. Kinda fun in west Texas to see how low I could get my gas mileage.
smile.png
And I am definitely a convert to that fancy high priced KLIM gear. I put it to the test in the rain and it was great. Kinda interested to see how it will fair in SC heat.

Here are a few thoughts. They may also be useful for folks doing SaddleSore or BunBurner rides.

PHILOSOPHICAL THOUGHTS

1) We live on a beautiful continent. Go see a little of it. Lots of people have made long-distance rides, so you probably can do it, too.
2) The bike does all the work, you just have to stay awake. (Thanks, rpm.)
3) No matter where you are in the USA, you are never farther than 60 miles from an Interstate Highway Construction Project.

PRACTICAL THOUGHTS

The Iron Butt Association has excellent advice for all long distance rides. Read it a few times and make sure you understand it. Maybe some of the pointers apply to you and maybe they don’t, but why learn a lesson that’s already been learned by someone else?

1) Read the IBA rules. Know the IBA rules. Follow the IBA rules.

2) Realize that a 50CC is a serious undertaking. It’s far more than simple back-to-back SaddleSore rides. Almost all of this ride is non-stop between gas stations, so your bike, your body, and your mind should be fit.

3) Doing it alone is probably too much. Consider a riding partner you know and trust.

4) Make sure you have these locations written/printed somewhere, entered into your GPS, and stashed on your phone:
hotels in Jacksonville, San Diego, and wherever you choose to sleep in between, and,
locations of gas stations at appropriate intervals. (FJRs need gas at 200 mile intervals.)
This list should include some combination of location info (lat/lon, street address, exit number) and be on more than one storage media (paper, gps, emailed to yourself) so you can recover the information if one list is lost. Phone numbers are also good in case you can’t find the hotel immediately.

5) Riding after dark – especially on unfamiliar roads – increases your risk, but you cannot avoid it on this ride. Consider starting an hour before sunrise when animals and humans are less active than they are an hour after sunset.

6) My statistics:
distance (odometer readings on witness sheets): 2,423 miles
time (from gas receipts, therefore includes all rest periods): 44 hours, 26 minutes
total fuel amount (receipts): 62.654 gallons (15 gas receipts)

overall gas mileage: 38.7 mpg
total fuel cost: $130.84
highest fuel cost: $2.99 per gallon (Shell, Ocean Beach, CA)
lowest fuel cost: $1.69 per gallon (RaceTrac, Hammond, LA)

7) Each of us carried snacks and drinks in an easily accessible place. Stops became very efficient: fuel the bike, get and check the receipt, pee, eat, drink, identify a leader for the next leg, and vrrooom.

8) We discussed two items before leaving: How fast will we go? Will we have sit-down meals? There may be other questions you feel should be discussed with your teammates prior to departure. (What happens if someone wants to go home, or has to go home? Do those two situations have different answers? How bad does the weather get before we pull off the highway?)

9) Be open to the little things that make the trip unique:

- meeting the Sons of Hell motorcycle club from Ventura, CA in the gas station at Gila Bend, AZ (they made the prospect gas up all four bikes);

- shouting and gesturing at each other – so we could be heard – in the middle of a dead-stop traffic jam in east Texas, discussing whether we should stay put and be patient, or exit and find an alternate route;

- finding another bathroom when the gas station’s bathrooms are out of order (that happened twice, can you believe it?);

- rolling through downtown Houston at the posted speed limit (!) just after rush hour and just before the rain; and

- marveling at the fabulous weather and equally fabulous terrain across southern Arizona and New Mexico.

Great ride report and discussion Hud. Man! 10 minute stops for pee, fuel, snacks, and BSing. You guys were on a mission!

Oh yeah, even if we've already said it: BIG THANKS to playinatwork, McRide, and bgross for being our witnesses. One got up very early to see us off in Jacksonville Beach; the other two stayed up very late to see us wobble into Ocean Beach.

The guys who did the ride and the guys who witnessed the ride are all FJRForum members. Three of them I had never met before, and may never see again. Everybody lived up to their commitment.

High-quality folks hanging around here .....

Great ride report and discussion Hud. Man! 10 minute stops for pee, fuel, snacks, and BSing. You guys were on a mission!
Hud was really helpful in putting that schedule together. 10 minutes for stops was a noble goal, but I doubt we came close to that at any stop. On the other hand, we made up for lost time on the road
wink.png

Holy Crap!! How did I miss this whole thread??!! Awesome ride fellas! These rides are truly amazing to me for sure!! I can't wait to hear more about it this weekend!! Awesome unbelievably awesome!! Wow!!