Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree, the insurance will add up pretty fast, and it is not going to work to your advantage to take this on without a claim, especially if you find any hidden damage. All of those plastics and the bag can be repaired by Garauld, but new panels are an easy and perfect repair. Looks like the road rash missed the pipes, is that right?

Sorry to hear this Redfish. Your posts are always near the top of my list when catching up with FJRForum. I missed the big run-up to you finally getting an FJR! You'll get past this little setback in no time. Looking forward to hearing about all of your future rides!

My heart sank when I read your post, man. Cannot describe how badly I feel for you.

You'll heal, thank goodness, and she'll be waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, I'm proud of ol' RFH throwing his body between the ground and bike thus preventing even more scratches on the 15.

Well done, Sir, well done!

Now then, your moping time is over. Look to the future, take care of the present. All will be ok. Trust me. I know of this stuff.
punk.gif

Been there, done that, on my new bike. Wasn't quite as new as RFH's but the custom pinstripe had barely dried and the upper faring had a hole in it and had to be repaired instead of replaced. Made for a good winter project. Front end washed out on a uphill 35 mph right hand curve and I was down before I knew I was falling. Turned out that an RV had overheated and left a foot wide trail of anti-freeze behind....which was in the shadows. Non-jury accident except for a ugly hip pointer. Lucked out on my custom leathers, they were locked in the saddlebags and didn't get a scratch.

I was 1,000 miles from home and every dark spot in the road looked like fresh oil to be avoided. Fortunately, the bad memories faded over the winter and by the time the bike was fixed I was ready to go. Rode that bike for 5 more years including a epic trip to Alaska, Yukon, and Inuvik, NWT.

My advice.....fix the bike and don't look back. It will be a distant memory in a couple of years.

Welcome to the OSC (Oh Sh*t Club)... you're member number 2,364,911... your certificate will be forthcoming shortly. Now that you've got that over with, heal your self, fix the bike, let it go, and move on. Glad that it's nothing more serious and you'll live to ride another (warmer) day. B)

Redfish

Very sorry to hear about your "OOPS!". Have the shop and/or insurance adjuster have a really good look at everything and provide a complete itemized list of what is needed to put the bike back into "new" condition. If the insurance will cut you a check based upon the assessment of damage, you can go to on-line sellers of body parts and probably get stuff enough cheaper to cover the deductible - especially if you feel competent to swap the parts yourself. Make sure that the helmet, jacket and boots are included in the assessment; a lot of companies will cover gear damage. (Probably won't cover the stained underwear.)

Hope you are back on the road soon! Whether it was ice, crappy tires, wet leaves, gravel etc., don't spend time obsessing about it. It was an "Oh Shit" moment and could have happened to anyone. Lesson learned (i.e. Don't ride when conditions and fatigue tell you that you shouldn't). Move on and forget about it.

If you are thinking about not going through your insurance, you could almost certainly get the job done at fairly low cost (assuming there aren't structural issues). Bodywork and paint done by someone who knows their stuff can be as good as new but it will never feel the same to you. I would just do the full job with new parts.

I have to wonder how the bike would have faired with Canyon Cages or sliders?

Good luck!

BAD weekend for riders with new bikes!

A young lady I work with has been enamored with motorcycles for the past couple of years, asking me EVERYTHING about motorcycle ownership, and craving to ride her own.

Friday, she picked up a barely-used Ninja 650, had it lowered to match her 5-foot-nothing stature, serviced and ready to go. Had passed, with a perfect score, her MSF course one week earlier, got the bike registered and took it home.

Saturday afternoon, her first day "on the road", fixates on a curve and drives straight off the road, through a barbed-wire fence and winds up in the hospital with a spiral-twist double fracture of her leg.

Haven't talked to her yet, but the office is a-buzz with the news. I'm getting lots of "ugly looks" from management and many staff members, as I'm the only rider here at work. I'm bearing "blame" as some kind of bad influence, as if I were the cause of her buying a motorcycle.

Tough weekend. Bike riding CAN be dangerous, as we all know.

Redfish:

From what you've described I totally agree with your assessment of the cause of the spill. I'm sure you know that you're not the first rider to have his/her better judgment impaired by the lure of an FJR. Just Saturday of last week I felt compelled to get one last ride in before winter really set in here (since it's pretty much unheard of to be riding a motorcycle in these parts in November). There was a cold front with snow moving in from the north and I knew it, but I thought "I'll just stay close to home, that way I can scoot to safety quickly if I have to." I had a route of about 95 km mapped out in my head. It was about 23 km in when the precipitation - freezing rain, then snow - started and the dash thermometer started clicking down from 6 (Celsius) to 5, to 4, to 3, and to 2 in a matter of minutes. The grey clouds were coming faster. I made a quick decision to abort the ride and get home as quickly as I could. All the way home (as I was trying to stay clear of the ice starting to form everywhere but in the wheel tracks) I was thinking "I'm an idiot." Fortunately I did make it home without incident but it wasn't an example of great decision making to go out at all that day.

I'm sure we learn best from our own stupidity and our close calls. Don't be too hard on yourself and get well soon!

Awww, man, that really sucks. Heal fast.. Don't kick yourself too hard--you already have one broken rib.

Oh, and when you're doing the repairs, think about sliders. Cost a hundred, save a thousand.

Hey Andrew, I have an idea.

You're damaged '15 is obviously cursed. My '07 is not. It has nodded off a couple of times, but it has never thrown me off while moving. It has good tires, not those POS Bridgestone things, and it doesn't have all that newfangled baloney to distract you. It has heated grips and a proven track record.

So, just trade me straight across. You take my undamaged, uncursed '07, and I'll risk my life on that danegrous '15 for you. You're insurance won't go up, and I'll throw in a slightly (very) used undamaged helmet. This sounds like a very good deal. You should take it before I change my mind!! :no:

I mean, what are friends for??

You're damaged '15 is obviously cursed. My '07 is not. It has nodded off a couole.of times, but it has never thrown me off while moving. It has good tires, not those POS Bridgestone things, and it doesn't have all that newfangled baloney to distract you. It has heated grips and a proven track record.

So, just trade me straight across. You take my undamaged, uncursed '07, and I'll risk my life on that danegrous '15 for you. You're insurance won't go up, and I'll throw in a slightly (very) used undamaged helmet. This sounds like a very good deal. You should take it before I change my mind!!
no.gif

The selflessness of the fine folks on this forum never ceases to impress me!
thumbsupsmiley.png

You're damaged '15 is obviously cursed. My '07 is not. It has nodded off a couole.of times, but it has never thrown me off while moving. It has good tires, not those POS Bridgestone things, and it doesn't have all that newfangled baloney to distract you. It has heated grips and a proven track record.

So, just trade me straight across. You take my undamaged, uncursed '07, and I'll risk my life on that danegrous '15 for you. You're insurance won't go up, and I'll throw in a slightly (very) used undamaged helmet. This sounds like a very good deal. You should take it before I change my mind!!
no.gif

Don't fall for HRZ's false generosity. He doesn't care about you. He just wants your 2015. He thinks he can take advantage of you while you're at a low emotional ebb. Now I, OTOH, couldn't care less about that pile of twisted metal and plastic, but I do care, deeply, about you. So I'll offer my very low mileage, heavily farkled, 2006 AE (which I love), three helmets, and a bag of M&Ms, in exchange for your recent wreck. I'll even ride my AE over to you and pick up your worthless. liquid graphite mess.

Top that offer, HRZ!

Hey Andrew, I have an idea.You're damaged '15 is obviously cursed. My '07 is not. It has nodded off a couole.of times, but it has never thrown me off while moving. It has good tires, not those POS Bridgestone things, and it doesn't have all that newfangled baloney to distract you. It has heated grips and a proven track record.

So, just trade me straight across. You take my undamaged, uncursed '07, and I'll risk my life on that danegrous '15 for you. You're insurance won't go up, and I'll throw in a slightly (very) used undamaged helmet. This sounds like a very good deal. You should take it before I change my mind!! :no:

Don't fall for HRZ's false generosity. He doesn't care about you. He just wants your 2015. He thinks he can take advantage of you while you're at a low emotional ebb. Now I, OTOH, couldn't care less about that pile of twisted metal and plastic, but I do care, deeply, about you. So I'll offer my very low mileage, heavily farkled, 2006 AE (which I love), three helmets, and a bag of M&Ms, in exchange for your recent wreck. I'll even ride my AE over to you and pick up your worthless. liquid graphite mess.

Top that offer, HRZ!
I think I can find some Cheetos lodged in between the seats of my Expedition. Once I find those, your deal is done.

no.gif

Top that offer, HRZ!
I think I can find some Cheetos lodged in between the seats of my Expedition. Once I find those, your deal is done.
You're such a giver, AJ... ;)