Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the chain thing, I want to add one thing about lubrication that I overlooked previously. While the primary wear point is the interface between the pins and the inside of the hollow inner links, the rollers actually ride on the outside of those same hollow inner links. In the better o-ring chains those rollers have a seal at each end and receive lubrication from inside the o-ring sealed area. On some others the roller is only lubricated from the outside, so when using those chains the sprockets may last longer if the chain is well and often lubricated. The chain itself will not wear, as that is primarily at the inner pin (that's where chain "stretch" occurs). But if the rollers bind up then the sprocket teeth will erode quickly.

The point here is that even o-ring chains are not all created equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its got ABS too. I've seen some other photos where it appears that a slotted ring is visible on the front wheel and a cable goes into rear hub on right side. Centerstand visible in photos too. Anxious to see and ride this when it appears in showrooms.

https://fj-09.org/

Site already set up for the FJ09.

Also on that site, it was mentioned that the FJ-09 is to come out next week on Nov. 3rd.

I guess I am showing my age here. That is a pretty homely looking bike. That look must be attractive to some folks because there are a lot of similar looking bikes out there but they all look like mud fences to me. OTOH all the middleweight "sport touring" bikes that sell well have the ADV look so I guess you build what is selling.

Aesthetics... It's not a matter of age. It's just a matter personal taste. You either like it or you don't.

Doesn't really matter how old you are.

Here's a slide show that was posted on the FJ-09.org site, showing that the bike has a more upright riding position than the FZ model.

Oh shit - is Yamaha starting to play the single lit headlight crap now..... I sure hope not.... I really hate that...

I really like the looks of that machine though....

It's a little too 'busy' looking for my tastes, but having said that, if I were looking for that size bike, I would consider it on function (first) then decide.

Not a single view of how it will look with bags on it?

I also wonder about overall size of the bike. The guy(s) they are using as models on the bike have to be very small. Just look at the knee angle on most of the rider shots. Those guys can't be much more than 5' tall. If the bike is built on the FZ-09 chassis (which I have sat on) the cockpit will be very crowded with an American sized rider.

I think a good 900cc triple is plenty of engine for a 1-up sport tourer. Just not sure they made enough changes from the FZ-09 to add the "tourer" part on the end. In any case it would be a very sporty ST.

Warpdrv-I'm not a fan of the one light lit thing either, surely a way to get around that with minor modification?

Fred W- will be interestig to see one and throw a leg over to see how it does fit for size- Think it may be okay for most.

C&C, yes, styling may be more of function but I'm thinking this bike would make for a good all-around weekly commuter, weekend backroads ride.

Interested to see what they do for factory hard bags-will they be similar to the FJR remains to be seen but from the pics it appears they will use similar mounting on the subframe (which I hope is appropriately designed to avoid failure).

Check Yamaha's Facebook page, they just posted the new FJ09 and R1.

Picture shows the 09 with the "optional" bags.

Now, do I really need another bike?

10341984_10152709770481387_6282402321124820802_n.jpg

The bags appear to be a bit of an afterthought, but I suppose that comes with the territory in the sporty ST market. Web site doesn't mention if those bags will come standard. Does mention an optional trunk, so there is some hope that they are.

It sure looks like a winner to me. TCS and ABS, FBW with three drive modes. USD fully adjustable forks, preload and rebound adjustable shock. And all of this on a bike that weighs in at 462 lbs wet?

Wow. That's a lot of bike for $10.5k

Hmmmm Makes me wonder if this is going to take the place of the FZ1..... they are are kinda taking up the same place in the lineup, def what the FZ1 should have been designed for with "at least optional" hard bags and other options.... Aside from the "RAW" Liter Power plant

Makes me think about why they haven't updated the FZ1 for so long... Its def due for a makeover. Hope it doesn't get dropped.

Also - those LED headlights and TailLights.... LOOK GREAT - What took you so long Yamaha.... I guess you have to give Yamaha the benefit of the doubt, they rarely just throw new stuff out on the market without it being tried and true, unlike alot of the competition.

I wonder how long before the FJR gets those, and if they will be the same GEN 3 design that could be easily retrofitted....