Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to see this come to the USA. By the time it does , I'll have returned from my 2nd trip to Alaska on my GSA. As far as problems with my bike, none yet. Same w/ my FJR. It kills me to hear people say they won't buy this bike or that bike because "joe blow had a problem w/ his kanuter valve and I don't want that to happen to me". How many of you guys are married? How many know guys that are divorced? Yet you still got married?

At least fixing a bike or getting rid of it is cheaper than a spouse, and not that much time or money for initial investment. Plus, you know the cost going into it.

Lots of variables in life people! Quit making excuses and go enjoy it. I am.

DSC07120.jpg

WOW... LOVE your GSA... best bike I dont own... lol.... Never seen one parked right by the FJR.... looks big.. anyhow LOVE the bike ! !

The Super Tenere should be released at the end of Feb and should be ready to buy sometime this summer (Aug) is what I have read and heard many places... Looking forward to seeing the read deal and seeing the price...

Would love to see this come to the USA. By the time it does , I'll have returned from my 2nd trip to Alaska on my GSA. As far as problems with my bike, none yet. Same w/ my FJR. It kills me to hear people say they won't buy this bike or that bike because "joe blow had a problem w/ his kanuter valve and I don't want that to happen to me". How many of you guys are married? How many know guys that are divorced? Yet you still got married?At least fixing a bike or getting rid of it is cheaper than a spouse, and not that much time or money for initial investment. Plus, you know the cost going into it.

Lots of variables in life people! Quit making excuses and go enjoy it. I am.

DSC07120.jpg

WOW... LOVE your GSA... best bike I dont own... lol.... Never seen one parked right by the FJR.... looks big.. anyhow LOVE the bike ! !
The Super Tenere should be released at the end of Feb and should be ready to buy sometime this summer (Aug) is what I have read and heard many places... Looking forward to seeing the read deal and seeing the price
+1 on that, the waiting to see the Tenere part.

Here's a side by side for ya. They're both on their centerstands.

PICT0229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEEET !!! :) :))))))))))

The Super Tenere should be released at the end of Feb and should be ready to buy sometime this summer (Aug) is what I have read and heard many places... Looking forward to seeing the read deal and seeing the price
+1 on that, the waiting to see the Tenere part.

Here's a side by side for ya. They're both on their centerstands.

PICT0229.jpg

YouTube vid <Link>

first choice; zibra stripes. second choice; yellow

Isn't 1200 a bit much? What does that sucker weigh?

I have NO IDEA who did that VID... THAT IS NOT THE NEW BIKE.... Rumor has it at 500lbs..... Like the BMW GSA, its a touring / exploring / fire road, world traveling machine... Its not a "super cross" racer at all... This is an on going argument among the ADV riders... If you want a 'dirt' touring bike... or a dirt bike with bags like a KTM 990.. The 990 will probably kill this new Yamaha on pure off road capability... I feel this new Yamaha is much more like the BMW GSA. This is more a real touring bike that can go just about anywhere. That's what im looking for... Kinda like a FJR that can go off road (real off road)... I know there is someone reading this saying, "Ive been off road with my FJR"....

I know so have I... LOL.........

But this bike will have the suspension built for off road, tractions control, on/off ABS, much more ground clearance, Etc, Etc..... I want a bike like this that will travel on the high-way like or similar to the FJR, IE fuel tank, wind protection, power, Etc, Etc... A street legal dirt bike wont give me these things. (the BMW GSA has almost 9 gal of fuel, rumor has it this might have about the same) Then when I get to a great fire road or trail, I now can go blast down those trails. I want to travel to Utah , Colorado, New Mexico, ride up in the mountains off the beaten path can go camp ! ! ! Sounds like heaven to me, maybe one day ! :dribble:

YouTube vid <Link>
first choice; zibra stripes. second choice; yellow

Isn't 1200 a bit much? What does that sucker weigh?

I have a GS, non adventure and let me tell you, they aren't all that. It is one fine machine, just too big. The pig weighs over 500 lbs wet, the center of gravity is way to high if you like to dice it up off road. The 19 inch, yeah, that is right 19 in front tire BE-LOWS off road. The front end gets sucked into the sand and this thing tracks like a pig, there will be no planeing the GS through the sand. While off road, at least for me, I spend more time worrying about if this 500 lb plus pig is going to fall over on me than I do just riding it. The windshield is very nice and helps a bunch but off road all I can think of is biffing that thing in an off.

As a road bike, it is nice. Comfortable day long riding. The GF doesn't like being two up on this as there isn't nearly the room and comfort for her as compared to the FJR. There is the fun factor for this bike, it is a blast to canyon dance but still, nothing compared to the FJR.

I will give the GS the fact that it was the most solid feeling out of the three adventure bikes I tried, V-strom, KTM and then the GS. The V-strom felt weak and cheesy, like the DR series (GF had one for a brief period so I should toss that in there too). V-strom had a weak suspension and the handle bars felt like something off a wal-mart bmx bike. The KTM while solid just didn't have the right feel for me. Think it was mostly the seat and the GF didn't like it either. Too tankish, but thinking back on it, should of been the way to go for me. The GS is a good bike for fire roads and for somene that can ride these things without a care. Seen some people do some amazing things on these bikes. Guess my fear of getting hurt by this thing because of all the crap that sticks out, mirrors, windshield, cylinders etc.... keeps me back.

Back to the Tenere'. One of my hopes for this bike is that they didn't cheap out on the suspension. One of the main complaints of the DR was weak suspension components. A new owner will have to dump another grand into the suspension. Which is why for my next DS it will be a KTM 690 E and not a HONDA 600 XRL. I like turn key stuff nowadays.

I think this bike would do well here. Probably better than the Honda and cheaper than the GS a good niche to be in and might cause honda to up their game.

I have a GS, non adventure and let me tell you, they aren't all that. It is one fine machine, just too big. The pig weighs over 500 lbs wet, the center of gravity is way to high if you like to dice it up off road. The 19 inch, yeah, that is right 19 in front tire BE-LOWS off road. The front end gets sucked into the sand and this thing tracks like a pig, there will be no planeing the GS through the sand. While off road, at least for me, I spend more time worrying about if this 500 lb plus pig is going to fall over on me than I do just riding it. The windshield is very nice and helps a bunch but off road all I can think of is biffing that thing in an off.
As a road bike, it is nice. Comfortable day long riding. The GF doesn't like being two up on this as there isn't nearly the room and comfort for her as compared to the FJR. There is the fun factor for this bike, it is a blast to canyon dance but still, nothing compared to the FJR.

I will give the GS the fact that it was the most solid feeling out of the three adventure bikes I tried, V-strom, KTM and then the GS. The V-strom felt weak and cheesy, like the DR series (GF had one for a brief period so I should toss that in there too). V-strom had a weak suspension and the handle bars felt like something off a wal-mart bmx bike. The KTM while solid just didn't have the right feel for me. Think it was mostly the seat and the GF didn't like it either. Too tankish, but thinking back on it, should of been the way to go for me. The GS is a good bike for fire roads and for somene that can ride these things without a care. Seen some people do some amazing things on these bikes. Guess my fear of getting hurt by this thing because of all the crap that sticks out, mirrors, windshield, cylinders etc.... keeps me back.

Back to the Tenere'. One of my hopes for this bike is that they didn't cheap out on the suspension. One of the main complaints of the DR was weak suspension components. A new owner will have to dump another grand into the suspension. Which is why for my next DS it will be a KTM 690 E and not a HONDA 600 XRL. I like turn key stuff nowadays.

I think this bike would do well here. Probably better than the Honda and cheaper than the GS a good niche to be in and might cause honda to up their game.

Mojave , I thought I recognized your posts from Adventure Rider. I always liked the GS after riding one for a week in Europe. I felt it was more comfortable than my FJR,and cornered really well. I look at them all the time but never coughed up the money for one.I would need both bikes for the summer to see which one won out. I think the Tenere' will have a good market share as well.

...I always liked the GS after riding one for a week in Europe. I felt it was more comfortable than my FJR,and cornered really well. I look at them all the time but never coughed up the money for one.I would need both bikes for the summer to see which one won out. I think the Tenere' will have a good market share as well.
I toured on an 1150GS for several days and a couple thousand miles -- and found no attraction there.

Compared with an FJR: it handled, shifted, and performed like a truck (IMO). I found the one I rode big and clumsy and a gas-hog -- not my pick at all for a sport touring bike.

(and I would not consider taking it off-road any more than I would an FJR)

As for the Tenere 1200: if the sales debacle (in the U.S.) of Yamaha's previous adventure -- the TDM 850 -- is any example?: the Tenere 1200 could be another (sales) disaster...! :eek:

...I always liked the GS after riding one for a week in Europe. I felt it was more comfortable than my FJR,and cornered really well. I look at them all the time but never coughed up the money for one.I would need both bikes for the summer to see which one won out. I think the Tenere' will have a good market share as well.
I toured on an 1150GS for several days and a couple thousand miles -- and found no attraction there.

Compared with an FJR: it handled, shifted, and performed like a truck (IMO). I found the one I rode big and clumsy and a gas-hog -- not my pick at all for a sport touring bike.

(and I would not consider taking it off-road any more than I would an FJR)

As for the Tenere 1200: if the sales debacle (in the U.S.) of Yamaha's previous adventure -- the TDM 850 -- is any example?: the Tenere 1200 could be another (sales) disaster...! :eek:

Thats the beauty of many choices with all these new bikes. Hopefully the Tenere' will be a lot better than the TDM!

Count me in as someone who would purchase either Tenere model. In Nevada, most roads I want to go explore are dirt, so a more "all-terrain" bike could actually be my one and only. Yamaha has earned my loyalty due to sticking with models other manufacturers ran away from, plus I expect the Tenere price point to be a much easier pill to swallow than the BMW GS one.

Count me in as someone who would purchase either Tenere model. In Nevada, most roads I want to go explore are dirt, so a more "all-terrain" bike could actually be my one and only. Yamaha has earned my loyalty due to sticking with models other manufacturers ran away from, plus I expect the Tenere price point to be a much easier pill to swallow than the BMW GS one.

Very cool ! Ill be heading to CO to tear it up on some legal fire roads.. .Just need this dang thing to come to USA ! !

There is a big thread on the YAMAHA Face Book page I have been told on the ADVrider web site... To PROTEST to bring the 660 and 1200 to USA...... LOL Go throw in your $.02 ..... :) :)

I keep going to watch the clock count down, is there something wrong with me ? YES, Ok I answered my own question! LOL

Just a few more days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooo- Hoooooooooooooo Word is on the street we WILL get it in 2011... Cha-Ching !

Very cool ! Ill be heading to CO to tear it up on some legal fire roads.. .Just need this dang thing to come to USA ! !

There is a big thread on the YAMAHA Face Book page I have been told on the ADVrider web site... To PROTEST to bring the 660 and 1200 to USA...... LOL Go throw in your $.02 ..... :) :)

I keep going to watch the clock count down, is there something wrong with me ? YES, Ok I answered my own question! LOL

Just a few more days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooo- Hoooooooooooooo Word is on the street we WILL get it in 2011... Cha-Ching !
What I was told by a Yam dealer in France is the reverse of that. He said that Yamaha wanted to come out with a new TDM or bigger Tenere anyway, but the company gave up lower pricing with the shaft against what he and other non-US markets wanted, so that the bike would be better able to orient more toward the US market as a GS-fighter. Don't know how much of this was just dealer-speak, but it was a surprising perspective.

What I was told by a Yam dealer in France is the reverse of that. He said that Yamaha wanted to come out with a new TDM or bigger Tenere anyway, but the company gave up lower pricing with the shaft against what he and other non-US markets wanted, so that the bike would be better able to orient more toward the US market as a GS-fighter. Don't know how much of this was just dealer-speak, but it was a surprising perspective.
Hmmm, that's interesting.

I was sure surprised to see the shaft on the show prototype/tease that was shown-around.

It's interesting that Yamaha may think that there's enough well-heeled Americans covetous of a shaft-driven adventure bike? :unsure:

Shows the sales power of BMW's GS (boxer) -- reportedly, far-and-away their best seller in America...

I guess we'll know the new Tenere details tomorrow? :blink:

Hmmm, that's interesting.

I was sure surprised to see the shaft on the show prototype/tease that was shown-around.

It's interesting that Yamaha may think that there's enough well-heeled Americans covetous of a shaft-driven adventure bike? :unsure:

Shows the sales power of BMW's GS (boxer) -- reportedly, far-and-away their best seller in America...

I guess we'll know the new Tenere details tomorrow? :blink:

Heck yea ! ! Looking forward to TOMORROW ! ! ! ! LOL :) Im glad to see the shaft drive in the new Yamaha.. love it on my FJR and going off road or around the country or world it sure is nice not to have to mess with it !!!!!!!