Yammie Foot Guard Rehab

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambone

Reaction score
I've got two and half winters on the OEM Yam foot guards and my toes have been warm. But the guards have gone to gray instead of black. I dont mind a few saddle bag scrapes and other scars, but the foot guards now look like shioot. Guards are made of a rough, almost semi-porous material, does not respond to any type of cleaning product. Just gets grayer and whiter, like my head.

Oh wise board, please give me your favorite top quality flat black paint product brand and recommendation for prep that will work best for this molded bit of over-priced plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take one off and take it to a body shop supply place like Finishmaster. They carry a line of aerosol spray coating by a company called SEM. I'm betting there will be just what you need there. Also there is a spray adhesion promoter for plastics (basically opens up the pores in the plastic to the paint sticks better). I've used SEM products in the past w/ good results.

Used to use ArmorAll or WD40 to clean up the rough unpainted plastic on the dirt bikes. Probably not the best thing to use just before a paint job, but if you haven't already, you might want to give it a try.

Have them sprayed with a black truck-bed liner material... that should hold up longer...

My brother recently repainted a plastic radiator shroud off of a Kawi that he has, using Krylon Fusion (which is made specifically for plastic) it really looks great. Might consider trying it as a low cost option.

krylon fusion

Latest posts