Yellowstone Off-Season

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Good Stuff. Thanks for sharing. And bragging.

I will be passing through there this July along with all the other summer tourists, I bet it looks a lot different with all those people there.

I don't mind it in summer--just a different mindset. You know you'll be going slow, so relax and enjoy. You can sometimes get away with "lane splitting" with the oncoming lane
uhoh.gif
to get through the traffic jams caused by critter sightings, just proceed gingerly and wave to everyone like it's a permitted act lol..... and thanks for all the nice comments everyone
smile.png

Fabulous photos, and thanks for bringing back memories from 1978. Spent a winter in Idaho Falls (Navy Nuke Power School) and hit up yellowstone twice in a car and twice on a snowmobile. Perhaps the prettiest place in all the USA -- with geysers and mudpots, too!

Great images Spud. Eye candy indeed.

I've only ridden through there once on bike, but am considering doing it again in a week on the way down to the Nevada get together.

Anything I should be wary of? Of course between now and then, a snowstorm could blow in and shut the whole durn thing up.

Like Spud, we live near enough to YNP to get there a couple times a year and at times when there scarcely any tourists and few RVs. We have developed a tradition of going to Chico Hot Springs for our anniversary in late April and then riding the park to go home. Paradise Valley runs from Livingston, MT on I-90 south to the Northgate at Gardiner. This year was our 40th anniversary and we were provided fantastic weather for the ride.

YankeeJim Cut on the Road leading to the park. This was was once a private toll road controlled by Ole Jim.

IMG_0136_zpsw4x2im5u.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs

IMG_0148_zpsmd1vcf7n.jpg

A small roadside hot spring

IMG_0168_zpspyi4pflz.jpg

One of my favorite wildlife encounters in the park are the Brazen Ravens.

IMG_0184_zpst2ehk5wg.jpg

And of course.. Ole Faithful. There were about 50 people there to watch the geyser. In the summer there might be 1500.

IMG_0194_zps7rwhxhso.jpg

Just never make the mistake of going to YNP in the weeks surrrounding the Sturgis Rally. Every campground is packed with RVs pulling trailers with HDs inside. In the morning they unload, form-up in gaggles of 30 or more and then parade around the park at 10-15 MPH under the speed limit. Surprisingly, there is little wildlife to see when they are around. The parks need to establish and enforce noise level standards.

Great images Spud. Eye candy indeed.I've only ridden through there once on bike, but am considering doing it again in a week on the way down to the Nevada get together.

Anything I should be wary of? Of course between now and then, a snowstorm could blow in and shut the whole durn thing up.
Not much to worry about this time of year except of course the weather. I'm guessing it's snowing there today. Also, the roads--some are still closed.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

Maybe I'll see you--I'm going to be back up for my annual cheap cabin rental at Old Faithful next weekend. Usually it's the first time I get into the park, and it's been sketchy in years past with snow, but this year it's all clear for sure.

Latest posts