Yet Another 06 +200 Mile Ride Impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
In no particular order after 200+ miles on nothing but twisty, curvy bitchin' Central CA back roads..

1. Soft paint. Scratches easily. Wax early and often. Be careful of metal zippers on tank frontside if you have a belly on you.. ;) Until I get something better, I made a template then applied blue masking tape to the area. My bomber jacket was doing bad deeds, the Stich is on order..

2. Bar shake at low speeds (<~40). Not threatening, but there. Metzler something or other tires running at max suggested psi.

3. Nice color. Deep metallic blue. Almost black when viewed in indirect sunlight. Metallic comes out when the sun spotlight is on. I like it.

4. ABS-Linked brakes; Very impressive. Tested them on my dirt road, even played with them on downhill off camber corners. Could not find any of the issues reported in earlier threads e.g. locking the front when applying rear when the front has limited traction due to slope, surface, etc. I tested in both hard DG and in some softer areas but not true mud/slop.

5. Throttle / Clutch control: I had difficulty making clean shifts for the first 100 or so miles. Drivetrain snatch is significant if throttle/clutch is not done *just* right. I removed my heavy winter gloves and rode with MX gloves that have better feel to get the idea then switched back to the winter gloves. You have to use finesse on the clutch/throttle/shift to make perfect up/down shifts. Once on lash backside, smooth throttle control is required to transition the load to the front side. For comparison, my 1979 KZ1300 has less lash than the FJR. Ditto a 1984 BMW R100T.

6. Throttle tension: Excessive. Causes some of the issues listed above. Too much pull required just off idle. This was supposedly fixed on the 06's but if so I can't imagine how the earlier models were.

7. Throttle transition: On mine, not as smooth as I hoped for from idle/<1200 rpm. It's almost like the map isn't quiet correct or is transitioning from one zone to another. Coupled with a light flywheel, it makes throttle management very important.

8. Power: Absolutely wonderful. Seamless. More than I ever hoped for. Slight tingle at 6-7k. It makes the 55 mph speed limit a farce.

9. Handling: First off, disclaimer... This is my first 'new' street bike since 1991. I am completely blown away. I have a 'track' in my local area.. 38 miles, all back roads.. no traffic, I know every ripple, undulation, paint stripe by name.. not even trying I was 20+ over in all normal corners. Nicely planted, firmly set.. Touched the toes twice today! :D Come visit and I'll show you nice roads in my backyard.

10. Suspension: hmm. Mixed emotions. Front is good, very good. Rear, it seems harsh, even set to soft. My dirtbike experience says wait for some time to pass, it will soften but for now irregular surfaces e.g. small pot holes, surface height differences get transmitted uhh, firmly to the posterior. I weigh 240, shock set at soft.

11. Ergos: I'm 6'0 with 32" inseam. I've broken many bones, tweaked ligaments/tendons and generally abused my body having excessive amounts of dirt bike fun. In the low seat height position, I found my left thigh cramping. The rear brake is too high for my right ankle/foot position. All adjustable stuff, just haven't gotten there yet. The bars are too far forward for long distance rides, also a bit low. I don't want a sit and beg HD position, but as is the lower back is squawking after 2 hours in the saddle. It took me 5 years to get my other LD ride perfect for me, the FJR will take much less time than that thanks to it being easir to adjust. Just now set the seat height to high and will report back if anyone cares.

12. Air Management: Coming from a long distance touring perspective, the windshield, in the full up position, is too low. As others have reported, earplugs are mandatory. Turbulence exists. My Arai XD will not work.. The bill is too large and catches waay to much air at speed. From a sport bike perspective, I like the lower position but I'm more Tourer guy than Sportie.

13. Heat Issues: Can't say. To date ambient temps have been high 50's low 60's. I thought I felt heat on the right side one time but it sure wasn't enough to keep me warm... :D

14. Computer Problem? I too only get 17 Mpg instantaneous. :blink:

15. Overall impressions? Awesome bike. A very good platform to build upon. I now see why high speed LD riders use this bike. I am incredibly happy with the power and brake relationship. The linked ABS brakes simply work and the HP is linear, smooth, and plentiful. The handling and suspension for a bike this large is truly amazing. I can hardly wait to customize the ergos and Farkelize this steed to truly make it mine...

Me thinks I'm going to really like this bike... :D

BTW, this incredibly well cared for bike will be for sale in 2008 for any of you who want in on the dcarver PDP :blink: :dribble: :haha:

Hay D.. congrats on the delivery, face hurting from smiling so much ?? :D

May want to check the torque on the head bearings, some earlier models were loose from the factory, that may be causing the head shake. ( Also most guys are running 41 / 41 as tire pressure )

Also there are two throttle return springs, you can disconnect one as previous owners have done.

In no particular order after 200+ miles on nothing but twisty, curvy bitchin' Central CA back roads..<...snip...>

10. Suspension: hmm. Mixed emotions. Front is good, very good. Rear, it seems harsh, even set to soft. My dirtbike experience says wait for some time to pass, it will soften but for now irregular surfaces e.g. small pot holes, surface height differences get transmitted uhh, firmly to the posterior. I weigh 240, shock set at soft.
Your description of the rear shock seeming harsh is likely the result of not enough rear preload or more specifically not a strong enough spring. Check preload by measuring sag and adjust as necessary. You'll be happier. :D

Rob

Your description of the rear shock seeming harsh is likely the result of not enough rear preload or more specifically not a strong enough spring. Check preload by measuring sag and adjust as necessary. You'll be happier. 
Maybe I should just lose 40 pounds? Wouldn't have to adjust the sag AND worry about the belly zipper hitting the paint?

Thanks UnixGuy from a MS guy!

I'm starting to notice the throttle "snatch" a bit as of yesterday's ride. However, to me the biggest drawback is the too low bars and stock saddle. I'm a bit over 6'2" @225#s and with my new hip and creaky lower spine the seating position is critical to me. I have been favorably impressed with both the ride and suspension; to me a vast improvement over my '03.

The engine's grunt is gr8, love running her in 4th thru fast curves: FUN! Brakes are at the point of one finger is enuff to haul her down quickly under most circumstances....impressive on a bike this big.

I finally got to see her in sunlight for the first time yesterday while waxing her. Very purrteee deep dark blue; really "pops" in sunshine....nice, very nice. Overall I am very favorably impressed with the bike despite some ergonomic niggles for me. Enjoy them !!! DFO :D

6. Throttle tension: Excessive. Causes some of the issues listed above. Too much pull required just off idle. This was supposedly fixed on the 06's but if so I can't imagine how the earlier models were.
I've read a few other reviewers make this comment. It's interesting, too, because I'd swear I read somewhere that Yamaha lessened the throttle tension for '06. I wonder if something got lost in the translation, literally.

I've read a few other reviewers make this comment. It's interesting, too, because I'd swear I read somewhere that Yamaha lessened the throttle tension for '06. I wonder if something got lost in the translation, literally.
The throttle tension is significantly less on the 06 than the 03 was. It is more than the old models with one spring disconnected, but less than it was with two. I have about 300 miles on mine and haven't noticed it being a issue at all. I guess everyone is different.

Tom

I would agree about the throttle tension seeming to be OK, maybe it's because I'm used to my 1200R Sportster? Of course I can't say that it bothered me on my '03 FJR, but her oven like heat sure did! DFO

Come visit and I'll show you nice roads in my backyard.
Maybe on the 23rd? You gonna make this ride ?
TC - Unfortunatley, no. I saw your ride post and MB is just 30 miles away.. I'll be sleeping while you're riding... heavy OT on the nightshift = farkle $$$ but no rides other than commuting. I return to the day world mid May.

Dcarver, nice ride description. Hope your toe touches were with the ball of your feet on the pegs, as it is easy to touch toes down when riding with your heel catching the peg, particularly if you are riding 2 up or have biig feet.

1. Soft paint. Scratches easily. Wax early and often. Be careful of metal zippers on tank frontside if you have a belly on you.. ;) Until I get something better, I made a template then applied blue masking tape to the area. My bomber jacket was doing bad deeds, the Stich is on order..3. Nice color. Deep metallic blue. Almost black when viewed in indirect sunlight. Metallic comes out when the sun spotlight is on. I like it.

4. ABS-Linked brakes; Very impressive. Tested them on my dirt road, even played with them on downhill off camber corners. Could not find any of the issues reported in earlier threads e.g. locking the front when applying rear when the front has limited traction due to slope, surface, etc. I tested in both hard DG and in some softer areas but not true mud/slop.

12. Air Management: Coming from a long distance touring perspective, the windshield, in the full up position, is too low. As others have reported, earplugs are mandatory. Turbulence exists. My Arai XD will not work.. The bill is too large and catches waay to much air at speed. From a sport bike perspective, I like the lower position but I'm more Tourer guy than Sportie.

13. Heat Issues: Can't say. To date ambient temps have been high 50's low 60's. I thought I felt heat on the right side one time but it sure wasn't enough to keep me warm...  :D
#1. Yeah, for sure the paint is way soft - more so on the plastic than on the tank.

#3. Watch for water spots from our nice, hard Cali water.

#4. Neener, neener, neener to all you nay-sayers! LBS rocks!

#10. Upgrade as soon as you can/upgrades become available.

#12. Interesting note: I've been bitching about the wind noise from my RF1000 since day one. Yesterday, I stood up on the pegs to stretch - something I never do, but I've been fighting a flu bug and my joints were screaming - and discovered that with my head/helmet completely and directly in the air stream, unencumbered by the shield, the wind noise dropped dramatically. So, lid makers must not factor in partially blocked air streams into their designs.

#13 Uh, no comment... :D :huh:

Good on ya, d! Look forward to a ride with you soon. Care to meet at 58/229? ;)

Front tire issue just go down and have it rebalanced. Problally solve this caper of the shakes. NIce hearing about the brakes curious how they would be would be. I have an 05 -abs and would not get another bike without them.

Your tank issue with the old belly rubbing on it, an easy fix. I have a mag-knight tank cover and the gas cap protector for mine. Absouletly number one quality and looks are great and keeps the paint from rubbing off. If you decide to purchase buy as a set some saving form buying individually.

dcarver,

Congrats on your new ride!! I'd love to see it- maybe we'll cross paths one day or catch each other in a group ride? Thanks for the report!!

VFRMike (in Paso Robles)

:agent: Hey dcarver nice report. For your air noise problem checkout laminarlip.com . I have a long upper body. Bought the longer Yamaha option shield still wasent tall enough

got the laminar lip and now I have more adjustment and a silent ride when all the way up. Any way check it out.

Thanks, Dan