Clutch soak gone wrong,help!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi all

Things are not good.Did the straight forward clutch soak,put all the plates back in the correct sequence and went to put the last bolt in the clutch plate to torque it down and for god's sake dropped it.It has gone down into the engine somewhere.Have been playing around with a magnet pick-up but no joy.I need some advise here guys. There looks like a heap of places it could be hiding but i need to get it out. Any suggestions please.

Gazza

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the snafu. It likely went into the crankcase through the opening to the right of the clutch. You might try putting a magnet on a string and fishing for it. If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the oil pan. Good luck

vabrzn said:
Sorry about the snafu. It likely went into the crankcase through the opening to the right of the clutch. You might try putting a magnet on a string and fishing for it. If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the oil pan. Good luck

Or, make sure it's not on the floor somewhere.

I would just remove the oil pan.............I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery than fishing IMO. either way it sucks, best of luck.

Hi allThings are not good.Did the straight forward clutch soak,put all the plates back in the correct sequence and went to put the last bolt in the clutch plate to torque it down and for god's sake dropped it.It has gone down into the engine somewhere.Have been playing around with a magnet pick-up but no joy.I need some advise here guys. There looks like a heap of places it could be hiding but i need to get it out. Any suggestions please.

Gazza

Or, make sure it's not on the floor somewhere.
Ouch! Bummer. This sounds best to remove the pan. Are you absolutely sure it went in the crank case???

QUOTE (gazza @ Apr 7 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all

Things are not good.Did the straight forward clutch soak,put all the plates back in the correct sequence and went to put the last bolt in the clutch plate to torque it down and for god's sake dropped it.It has gone down into the engine somewhere.Have been playing around with a magnet pick-up but no joy.I need some advise here guys. There looks like a heap of places it could be hiding but i need to get it out. Any suggestions please.

Gazza

Sorry to hear of your lost bolt.

To be a smart-ar$e after the event, you should have taken note of my pictorial "how to", in particular (click image for larger view):

The caption reads:

Clutch cover off. Note, no oil drains out (bike's on the side-stand, so even residual oil won't seep out). Note the two dowel pins, 4-o'clock and 9 o-clock on the casing face. They just pull out. You may want to shove rag into that gaping hole into the crankcase to prevent losing bits in there.

Hope you find it without a complete engine strip!

any luck?

used a rare earth magnet once tied to a string to get a bolt off the top of a piston thru the spark plug hole

sometimes kid are bad helpers - look this fit here, right? NOOOOOOOOO

worked great just took time and patince ( just like ice fishing I came to find out )

If the pan is easy to pull I would not waste alot of time fishing

Hi all

This story has a happy ending and i regard myself as a very lucky guy. This "balls up" kept me up half the night thinking about how the heck i was gonna get the clutch cover bolt out of where ever.What a nightmare as you can imagine. Anyway,after work today i was down at the local auto shop looking at different magnetic pick-ups and ended up with a flexi one about a foot long $12. Arrived home had nothing to eat and just wanted to find that little sucker. I poked around for about a hour shoving that thing into every nook and cranny i coud see but no joy. I then drained the oil and shoved it up there moving it around where i could but i thought this was not that successful. Then i decided to go back and have another shot on the clutch side but more specifically under the clutch basket. I put a real sharp bend on the magnetic pickup and poked it down between the timing chain moving it around a tad and out she came. I couldn't believe it. I then went and sat down and had a beer to celebrate. That sure was scary and i consider myself very lucky.Thanks again guys for your input.I think i will sleep easy tonight.

Gazza

...Then i decided to go back and have another shot on the clutch side but more specifically under the clutch basket. I put a real sharp bend on the magnetic pickup and poked it down between the timing chain moving it around a tad and out she came. I couldn't believe it. I then went and sat down and had a beer to celebrate....
Great result :yahoo: , now get it together, and go ride.

Aww..I love a happy ending. We'll call this a "cautionary tale." I get stressed just thinking about having that happen...

One thing we're all dying to know...since you are from New Zealand, please tell us:

WHAT KIND OF BEER DID YOU HAVE?

Spud....For your information i had a Heineken. And to you Bluesman, You're a shit stirrer ann't ya. She's running real sweet again.

Gazza