Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Brett:

It's been something like 6 weeks since you put that CT on yer baby. It begs to ask the question, "How do ya like me now?"

Gary

darksider #44

Any of you darksiders ever play in north west Arkansas? I really would like to see how these bad boys handle in some aggressive twisties!

I could put one on and come up there. It still would NOT be indicative of what they are capable of!
biggrin.png

So, Brett:It's been something like 6 weeks since you put that CT on yer baby. It begs to ask the question, "How do ya like me now?"

Gary

darksider #44
Has he posted in that 6 weeks?

Has anyone seen him?

Perhaps the crash and burn stories have merit....
Hi gang - still alive!

We were out of the country for a month, so no riding - but also no crashing & burning.

(I did a nice little crash on the trip, but that was in the rain on the streets of Dublin - on a mountain bike! The scabs are almost off now.)

I'll go put some miles on that new tire soon.

Jasen...You should come on up regardless!

Skooter...Yes Colorado has some good twisties as well as majestic scenery. If Kansas wasn't in the way I would be there later this month.

I just really need to lead/follow one of them there scooters with vehicle tires through the twisties. Seeing is believing ya know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you darksiders ever play in north west Arkansas? I really would like to see how these bad boys handle in some aggressive twisties!
California has more than it's far share.... And I've seen some guy straight out kick ass with CT's out there.

Not going to dig it up, but the battle between Fairlaner an' Brian some years back was epic.

And ask those that ran SE Ohio last month how the car tire guys did..

Bustanut...My computer and/or skills suck as well. When I click quote and then type in the reply section...no quote shows up in the post. Anywho...

Thanx for the guidance but I was really not trying to dig up old stuff. I seem to get in enough trouble around here without that.

I simply would like to see it for myself and if fortunate enough actually ride one of them bad boys.

If anyone ever makes it to NW Akansas and wants to help a brotha out...shoot me a message!

No problem man.. Just sayin' the CT isn't a bad as most make it seem yet never once tried it. You came across as asking, and wondered about the roads in your area

I just wanted you to know the CT was pretty impressive out west on the twisties.

If you're an "aggressive" rider 90% of the time? It may not be yer cuppa tea, but then again, these fat pigs (insert your favorite forum target here) ain't really built for that.

I respect the folks opinions who've traveled that road, and didn't care for it. But those who naysay without ever trying?

I feel sorry for their friends and family's.
rolleyes.gif

Glory racing:

Meet me at Tail of the Dragon on the 16th and you can take it for a ride. How's that for an offer?

Fred:

I know it's a bit of a ride, but that offer goes for you as well. I wish you could have tried out the Michelin Pilot Exalto. Sad to say, they're out of production now. I've found it to be a wonderful tire and both of the guys who've ridden my bike and a regular MT equipped FJR have commented that in the turns it's indeed remarkably LIKE a motorcycle tire. So common down, breakfast is on me. You can ride it to your heart's content.

Me:

With 36k on my Exalto, it's getting close to time to replace it. It's just about on the wear bars, but by motorcycle standards there's plenty of tread left. I found Exalto's available at my local Tire Kingdom: they had 6 at the warehouse 3 weeks ago when I called. I understand they are out of production now, but I'm hoping they've got a couple left. I might turn out to be the last guy to buy one on this forum (if I'm not too late).

Gary

darksider #44

Gentlemen... Thanx for your comments and offers.

That is certainly a gracious offer but unfortunately I will not be at the dragon on that date. However, there are roads just minutes from my house that will provide just as twisty and sufficient of a test of a said CT equipped scooter. Surely one day in the future a CT equipped FJR will be here. (I was hoping one would show at the recent SFO ride) Hopefully I will become aware of the ride and can check it out at that time.

And I now ride a VFR 1200 so I certainly understand the concept of naysayer comments from peeps that have never actually thrown a leg over.

Although the majority of my riding is aggressive twisties (I get between 1k - 2k miles out of a set of tires) I still would like to see/experience it. Rear wheel changes on the vfr only takes about 2 minutes. With the money I could save on Sport touring moto tires I could easily pay for a spare wheel with mounted CT.

Glory Racing:

Do yourself a favor, go ahead and modify your brake arm in preparation for a car tire back there. It will only take an hour or so, and then your bike will be ready should you decide to give one a try.

Tires are a consumable item. Judging from your comments you already know this to be true. An appropriate car tire for these FJRs will cost slightly less than a premium motorcycle tire. If you are mechanically inclined, and have a couple of good tire irons it can be spooned onto the rim with some effort. I've done mine several times now. My fourth car tire change is due in a month. Should you decide to give it a try, get a tire that is popular with this crazy group of darksiders. If you can get ahold of an Exalto - do it. However there are several other tires that have worked well too. If you decide it isn't for you after giving it a fair go at it, change back to a motorcycle tire and offer it up for someone else to give a try.

These bikes are supposed to be fun, play around with it. Spend a few dollars and enjoy it.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Road test scheduled!

Yeah, I've put a few hundred miles on it already, mostly 20-30 miles at a time. Then we were out of the country for a month.

Since my bride's knee is causing her problems, we had to cancel our trip to Sparks. = (

Being the perfect woman, she is forcing me to hit the road and head for an overnight at my sisters in the Bay Area. = )

So I'll head up to Miss Tyler's gathering at Big Sur next weekend, then to sis's.

Ought to be able to squeeze in about 1000 miles, with a good mix of slab, twisties - and traffic.

"Film at 11"

News Flash:

Michelin Pilot Exaltos are indeed STILL AVAILABLE. You'll search in vain at most of the online retailers to track one down, as Michelin doesn't make our coveted 205 50R17 any more. However, you can still get them. I just purchased one today from my local Tire Kingdom for 167.99

I spoke to the manager of the store for quite a while today. He said that the Florida warehouse has 4 of them left, but pointed out that warehouses across the country have a total of 21 of them left. He also said that if anybody from this forum called him, he could have one sent to your house anywhere in the country.

The phone number here in Hudson, Florida is (727) 869-8100.

He also mentioned that once an unsold tire reaches a certain age, that their policy is to destroy the tire(s). He added that for that same reason, if they didn't sell, they would likely be unavailable by the end of the year.

There ya go.

Gary

darksider #44

After 1500 miles riding with my buddy Chris (Banzai) to SWFOG, I can comment on how WELL he handles that thing with a car tire.

He rides the car tire so well. It looks so damned funny seeing that square tire in the corners, But it WORKS.

The ONLY thing that sucks about these tires, Is they are like a slingshot throwing rocks back at you. If you ride on a Chip Seal road, I HIGHLY suggest riding in FRONT of the DARKSIDER.

I am in the process of buying some new wheels, And mounting a CT on the spare set since i rarely ride corners anymore. I will ALWAYS keep a fresh set of MOTO tires on hand for the fun days!

After 1500 miles riding with my buddy Chris (Banzai) to SWFOG, I can comment on how WELL he handles that thing with a car tire.He rides the car tire so well. It looks so damned funny seeing that square tire in the corners, But it WORKS.The ONLY thing that sucks about these tires, Is they are like a slingshot throwing rocks back at you. If you ride on a Chip Seal road, I HIGHLY suggest riding in FRONT of the DARKSIDER.I am in the process of buying some new wheels, And mounting a CT on the spare set since i rarely ride corners anymore. I will ALWAYS keep a fresh set of MOTO tires on hand for the fun days!
Well, I reached my quota of likes, but what you said was witnessed by everyone that rode with us at SW-FOG. Chris rode as fast (faster)than anyone else there. Corners and straights included.