Clearwater Erica and Darla Installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Foley

Reaction score
Finally was able to install my Clearwater Erica and Darla lights. I purchased the lights during the group buy but have been waiting for Clearwater to release the Erica bracket for the 2013. Finally got the bracket delivered this week. I have to say I was underwhelmed. After 3 months of waiting, what I got was a Gen II bracket with some foam rubber attached and some simple stainless washers to raise the bracket above the recessed area on the 2013 mirror mounts. After a phone call to Glenn at CW and a couple of PM's to Fairlaner asking WTF - I was talked down off the ledge and decided to go ahead with the install.

The bracket issues not withstanding, the lights themselves are great. Installation was basically trouble free, with figuring out how to best mount the switch and volume control taking up the most time.

Some photos of the finished product:

WP_20130606_001_zps875cf55d.jpg

The brackets. The washers are to provide clearance above the mirror mount recess and the foam rubber is to protect the paint. K1600 owners, which have a similar recessed mirror set up as the FJR, get a CNC machined part that provides a much sturdier bracket without having to worry about the fairing paint get nicked up.

DSC00016_zps7e5f805e.jpg

I have a Touratech GPS mount that has a extension for powerlet port. I decided to repurpose this for mounting of the Erica switch and the volume control. Some heat shrink tubing provided a clean install.

DSC00017_zps5d73d96f.jpg

I decided to mount the Ericas on top of the mirror brackets. I hope I don't have issues with Johnny Law - mounting aux lights above headlights is verboten in some locales.

DSC00018_zpse7a7fd06.jpg

DSC00019_zpscec67874.jpg

20,000 Lumens of lighting goodness.

DSC00021_zpsc0756f95.jpg

I also installed a Clearwater Voltage Sentry. Simple but effective solution, unobtrusive idiot light next to the throttle.

So after a short night ride I am very pleased with the lights. As you would expect, plenty of light. I have each light aimed down about 5%. The Darla's are always on and at 2K lumens each provide plenty of conspicuity. At night I dialed the lights down to about 50% power but had both on. No issues with anybody flashing me so far. With a flick of the high beam switch I get full power to all lights - very nice - will use this a lot on remote roads.

What a sweet looking bike ! The Erica(s) will be put on my '08. I have the Krista(s) on the '05.

Great looking set-up, but what is with the Corbin? Are you one of the "Few" that like them?

A bike that nice looking and no expenses spared, surely needs a RDL.

Just reviewed your pics again... dog gone NICE! ... WOW

101stpathfinder - Thanks! Regarding the Corbin - so far so good. My longest day so far has been 450 miles with no ill effects. I would like to try a RDL at some point. I have to say that I like the looks of the Corbin better but like they say "you don't see it when your sitting on it".

Super looking well laid out machine you got there brotha... Love the matching smuggler on there as well... everything looks awesome. Nice work.